treeman

when to pull

Practice cutaways. Well, there's cutaway rigs, 3 canopies, that's a way. The easiest way would be a hanging harness at the DZ. I'm sure you used one during your AFF course.

I tend to deploy between 3 and 3.5k on normal skydives, sometimes down to 2.5k. I'm allowed to deploy at 2k and did for a while, but the higher performance I got with canopies, the higher I deployed. Things can go to shit so much faster at a high wingloading with a high performance canopy then with big slow canopies. Most of the folks I see that still deploy at 2k are either doing it for a reason (big way stuff) or are old time jumpers with large canopies.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

most people will pulll by 3k. In new zealand your parachute must be activated by 2k. People pull at 3k because then there canopy may take around 1k to open. Everyone wants to be open by 2k so they have 2thousand feet to get there reserve at if it is needed.
2k will be most peoples hard deck.
You will want to be opening around 3.5k for a while, this is a safe alltitude as you have plenty of time to work with, sniffles, line twists etc...
The best way to practise a cut away will be on a hanging harness at the dz.
If you really want to do an intentional cutaway in the sky well you should speak to your safety officer. What can happen is you wear an intentional cutaway rig.
In my opinion you do not need this. You need to go over your procedures every time before you jump and whenever you can.
You will find that pulling at 4k feet is the height you want to be pulling at for a little while. When you start jumping rel work with others though you will find that you will be breaking off at around 4k and tracking and pulling at 3-3.5 k.
Everyone is different and everyone will have a different opinion. Just make sure you are open by 2k at the lowest so you have time to sort your shit out.
For now though stay at that height and on your instructors permission start taking that height down to 3.5k.
everything takes time, and there is no need to be in a hurry.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Hey, no dumb questions. This is a sport where if you don't know, you could die, so ask away!

Nope, I'm in Texas in College Station, Texas actually. I've only been to TN a few times in my life (nice part of the country, though).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

no worries, but do not ever be affraid to ask your instructor these questions and never take any of this advice without running it past your instructor first. He/she is the person who knows what is best for you, we just tell you our opinions.
Blue skies

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

i feel kinda lost do to the incident with one of my instructors mr. martin. i know my other instructor david nye is more than experienced i just feel weird asking him questions especially all the questions i have about mr. martin anyway thank you very much:ph34r: is that close to weatherford?

Be careful and take advice with a grain of salt. RW with other people will mean at your current experience a lonfer break off altitude, at least 2K above the alti you plan to deploy. You want to ensure plenty of horizontal separation and not breaking off at 4k deploying at 3.5-3K. Make sure you learn how to track, and talk to your instructors, they will be more than willing to educate you in these matters.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

i personally dont see me deploying below 3,000.

Hold that thought as long as you can and read your BSR's ;)

All students and A-license holders--3,000 feet AGL

B-license holders--2,500 feet AGL

C- and D-license holders--2,000 feet AGL

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

You can never pull too high

I have to disagree.
You want to pull at an altitude where there is sufficient oxygen also.

Opening too high, such as on a high altitude load is not a good thing. [:/]

But he has awhile before he will have a chance to do those. ;)

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I am almost always under canopy by about 3,200 feet or so. That is my target. Once in a great while I may get down around 2,900, but I don't like it. I have had a cutaway that was due to severe line-twists that ate up about 1,000 feet and then opened my reserve in line twists. I deployed at 3,500, cutaway at 2,500 and was out of the reserve line-twists by 2,000. I had plenty of time to look at my airspace, see where my gear was landing, fly to the dz and land safely. Do the math if I woould have waited to pull at 2,000 ft.

Granted, I was jumping a Velocity 96, but there are plenty of scenerios under any parachute that could have an outcome like that.

You can pull a bit higher and USE the altitude. But if you pull lower, you can never get that altitude back. And not having that extra 1,000 feet one day might really bite you in the ass.

i just feel weird asking him questions especially all the questions i have about mr. martin anyway thank you very much:ph34r:

Never be afraid to ask your instructors questions

the only stupid questions are the ones you wish you had asked,
after you have exited the plane.

you can practice by touching the handles in the order you may need them.

As a student...DON'T do that under canopy!

If your parachute is open and flying, concentrate on THAT
aspect of the dive....
You can do the handle touching on the ground
in a practice harness.

Visualization is an important aspect of this sport.

Without a doubt!

Visualize each and every part of the dive in as much
detail as possible.

From the gear check to the walk back in after landing.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

as i am very new to the sport i was wondering at what altitude do the majority of experienced divers deploy @? my lowest has been @4,000, i personally dont see me deploying below 3,000. also is there anyway to practice a cutaway? thanx :ph34r:

I think that probably everybody with a ZP now open at around 3000 or a little higher
but that wasn't always the case. back when it was all F111 an flat packs people I know or knew pulled at 2000
We're talking like 18 years ago. Alot of times I'd pull at ground rush (canopy Fury 220)
the F111 opened in round about 400 - 500ft. todays ZP's take longer to open and are faster also mafunctions
tend to be faster, So experience dictated pull higher

No more "Tee at three"
No more ground rush (I hope)

Gone fishing

i personally dont see me deploying below 3,000.

Hold that thought as long as you can and read your BSR's

The BSRs also say that you should decide to cutaway by 1800 feet. 1800 + 800 feet for opening = 2600 feet for pack opening.

The BSRs come from a time when an 800 foot opening was a malfunction, parachutes couldn't hit 70+ MPH in a dive, you wouldn't have 2 canopies out if you pitched a bit late (3 seconds below 2000 feet), and everyone had about the same forward speed.

With a reserve pack job, big F111 seven cell, and 3 people on the load I've been comfortable with termiinal openings at 1000 feet.

With a Samurai 105 and 15-20 people at wing loadings between .65 and 2.8 3000 feet is a much better choice.

1. It gives enough room to float or dive to avoid landing at the same time as some one else even when getting out half a mile down wind from the landing area. At lower opening altitudes things get more chaotic .

2. I can have a snivel, malfunction, cutaway, flip over, and have an open reserve by 2000 feet.

You can also ask the rigger at your dropzone when the next reserve repack cycle is for the club student gear, and ask them if you can do a live fire (on the ground of course). Basically you just put on the rig and run through your drill. The reserve is due for a repack anyway and most instructors would appreciate their students experiencing this.

Interests: Low pulls, low turns, & low points. =P

Hmmm!! You need to amend your profile pal.

Loose lips sink big ships.:o

[Dr Evil voice]riiiiiight... [/Dr Evil voice]

That's my uptight skydiver test; good news, you passed!!! :S

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. :P
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Interests: Low pulls, low turns, & low points. =P

Hmmm!! You need to amend your profile pal.

Loose lips sink big ships.:o

[Dr Evil voice]riiiiiight... [/Dr Evil voice]

That's my uptight skydiver test; good news, you passed!!! :S

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. :P

what is it like swooping a 189sqft??, do you get much lift?:P

.Karnage Krew Gear Store