jblooming

Scott Miller's Canopy Control Course

Last weekend I had the opportunity to take Scott Millers canopy control course at Skydive Chicago. I took his essential skills course. I only had 45 jumps at the time and I have been doing pretty good on my landings (stand up almost all the time) and not bad on my accuracy. This course showed me so much about how to really use the canopy. Most of the content was covered in my initial training and some I had heard before. The great part about this course was that it was a whole day of really detailed explanations of how the canopy works and making it do what you want. Scott also video's all the landing so you can really see what you are doing. Just like the video in freefall we were now able to examine just what happened and why.

I would highly recommend this course to anyone that wants to be safe under canopy. Yeah, you don't learn how to do a hook turn, but you do learn how deal with the problem of having to make low turn safely and how to plan so you don't run into that problem.

Now I have to work on the skills that were presented but I already feel much more comfortable under canopy than I did before the camp.

If he is coming to your dropzone or if you get to Deland I highly recommend this course.

http://freedomofflight.tv/

Jim

I also took the class last weekend, and I think its a great class and a great idea. We had a wide experience range in our class- 30 something to over 2000 jumps with one common goal of wanting to be safer under canopy. I think we all took something away from the class. 4 of us in my group actually took the same class last fall.

Well worth the time and money.

I also took the course this year, at The Ranch. Scott is not only an amazing canopy pilot, but he is also a great teacher. I feel a lot safer under canopy after taking the class, especially on busy days when the pattern is full. Putting the canopy into a full stall is fun too :)
I highly recommend the course, even if you need to travel to do it.

I want to chime in on this one and say how valuable the information in Scott's courses are. I participated in both his essential and advanced skills courses this week, and learned a TON! This course has incredibly valuable information for canopy pilots of all skill levels. He is professional, an excellent teacher, and has the experience and background to back up what he teaches.

His emphasis on life-saving maneuvers is right on, and will save lives.

Not only did I learn valuable things for myself, but also to help me teach others.
Arrive Safely

John

I took it early last week before Hurricane Charley came thru Deland. I was really frustrated because I had 4/5 crash landings during the course. As Skymama pointed out, I had all those "new concepts" to think AND being video'd tends to make it more complex...however, the GOOD NEWS is today I went out and worked on the concepts up high, remembered to WAIT then FLARE..and FINISH. Hot diggity dog diggity! It worked.B| I got more efficiency out of my canopy today and had sweet landings! Whew! about time I gave my knees a break:D

I took it early last week before Hurricane Charley came thru Deland. I was really frustrated because I had 4/5 crash landings during the course. As Skymama pointed out, I had all those "new concepts" to think AND being video'd tends to make it more complex...however, the GOOD NEWS is today I went out and worked on the concepts up high, remembered to WAIT then FLARE..and FINISH. Hot diggity dog diggity! It worked.B| I got more efficiency out of my canopy today and had sweet landings! Whew! about time I gave my knees a break:D

bolded... yep... soooooooooooo many don't
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I was some what taken back to hear your response
especially with your yrs in the sport and jump#'s. You
have carved in stone that "you NEVER stop learning"
I took the class and my first jump was a crash and burn with a big dust ball.. He might be using that video to show what not to do. Now my landings are
sweet but I gotta stop hollering "FINISH" when in the peas. I will do his class everytime he is in the northeast.

PS: just when people think they know it all, just read
slotperfect's post

Thanks for the nice compliment! I continue to stay open minded and try to improve my skills nearly every jump. This course has been one of my goals for a while now.

He might be using that video to show what not to do.

You're safe . . . we didn't see your "arrival" video. B|
Arrive Safely

John

All of the z-hills staff took the class together last month. Part of why we took the class was to learn new teaching techniques that we can use when teaching canopy control to our students. I was by far the least experienced person in the class. There were several people with 7 or 8 thousand jumps in the group. We all had a great time and learned a ton. You are never too old to learn new flying/safety/teaching techniques.

I was so impressed with the class that I convinced all of the fun jumpers that I usually organize on the weekends to take the class. Scott is coming to z-hills this weekend to teach them all.

I would recommend Scott's class to anyone no matter how much experience they have. This weekends classes has jumpers ranging from 75 jumps to over 1000. I am sure they will all be happy with the course layout and Scott's teaching skills.

I also want to add that Skydivecity at Z-hills was nice enough to cover the cost of the entire class including the slots for all of the staff last month. TK wanted to make sure all of the instructors and staff were giving a consistent message. So he thought it would be good for us to take the class together.
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

Id cut off a thumb to obtain a fraction of the skills Jimmy has forgotten. He is the man. All the guys at freedom of flight are pros. I have jumped with them all and hung out with them all. great body pilots, great canopy pilots and great pilots.

You can not do wrong with them

D.

He is professional, an excellent teacher, and has the experience and background to back up what he teaches.

Scott really is a good teacher, and that's important. There are plenty of people out there with the knowledge, experience, and desire to pass on what they know, but only a select few have been gifted with the ability to effectively communicate and instill that knowledge in others.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Id cut off a thumb to obtain a fraction of the skills Jimmy has forgotten. He is the man. All the guys at freedom of flight are pros. I have jumped with them all and hung out with them all. great body pilots, great canopy pilots and great pilots.

You can not do wrong with them

D.

Hey Derek...a little "Jimmy T" Trivia for ya..did you know that he "upsized" his canopy for better performance on his swoop landings?

I took the essential sckills course in August at Deland (we got married out of the skyvan and then it was my husband's and mine honeymoon and wedding present to ourselves) and I have had more confidence under my canopy than ever. My landings have improved greatly and I feel like I understand my canopy now instead of being afriad of it. I plan on returning at some point to take the next course as well.

Christina