tearseyes

tandem rating question

ok I am sorta a up jumper still don't have my A yet. Anyway I have a friend that wants to do a tandem Is it ok to ask the tandem instructor to she his rating certificate to make sure it is current? and is it ok to ask for a copy of the waivers u sign? any thought would be great thanks.

why would they get offended? In five years of Instructing static line, I have had one student ask to see my license for my I rating.

caught me off guard, I had to dig around my locker to find it. but I thought it was a very heads up thing to ask.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

I have never been asked to see my ratings. However I would have no problem showing someone. The back of the Sigma harness does even tell a student to ask to see our ratings. (like people read that warning label, but it is there)

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

Absolutely ok to ask for that. As a Tandem instructor myself, I wouldn't mind at all and would totally respect that.

And any tandem instructor who would get offended over that, I would recommend you find another instructor.

It ain't just a carnival ride. Ask whatever you want.

However some tandem instructors might get offended if you ask to see their credentials.

I have been asked...
and never gave it a second thought.

(The student is also the 'Boss');)

Got to give them credit for being heads up
enough to be concerned and check!

I have a little 'foldie thingie' where I keep
all my jump credentials, I open it and show
them everything...
and explain it's relevance.

For the most part they don't know what they're
looking at anyway...if you told them you have a
note from your mother so everything is legal,
how would THEY know?!:ph34r:

But Tandems like Demos are a profession,
give the 'customer' what they want,
and pocket the $!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I got asked to see my 'credential's one time and was impressed the student thought to ask instead of just blindly jumping with me. I proudly showed them everything I had at the time, AFF I/E, TDM I/E, S/L I/E, Rigger, and pilot. I figured showing them everything would reassure them.

Derek

if you told them you have a
note from your mother so everything is legal,
how would THEY know?!

hehehe - you should knock up a fake "note from your mother" saying you're allowed to skydive and keep it in your foldie thingie just to make light of the situation should you ever get asked again. One for the "student one liners" thread I guess.

Honestly, I would be very impressed if a student asked me to see my current rating cards.:)
As for the release of liability, that's up to the DZ, some DZs wig out about that, if its asked for in a non-courtroom type of setting.[:/]
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Manifest/DZO/S&TA should have a file on all instructors with the licences and an up to date FAA class 3 medical certifcate.

There is no harm in asking and no offense should be taken.

Cheers
Egon

"Start doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you're doing the impossible!"

I carry mine in my wallet, and it's no problem to whip it out. :)

I keep mine in my wallet too. I've never been asked but surely wouldn't be offended. If I wasn't a TI and was going to do one, though, I think I'd want to make sure the TI was on the up and up. Talk is cheap and I don't trust it with my life. B|

an up to date FAA class 3 medical certifcate.

Technically, you don't need a medical;

§105.45 Use of tandem parachute systems.
(a) No person may conduct a parachute operation using a tandem parachute system, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow any person to conduct a parachute operation from that aircraft using a tandem parachute system, unless --
(1) One of the parachutists using the tandem parachute system is the parachutist in command, and meets the following requirements:
(i) Has a minimum of 3 years of experience in parachuting, and must provide documentation that the parachutist --
(ii) Has completed a minimum of 500 freefall parachute jumps using a ram-air parachute, and
(iii) Holds a master parachute license issued by an organization recognized by the FAA, and
(iv) Has successfully completed a tandem instructor course given by the manufacturer of the tandem parachute system used in the parachute operation or a course acceptable to the Administrator.
(v) Has been certified by the appropriate parachute manufacturer or tandem course provider as being properly trained on the use of the specific tandem parachute system to be used.

Derek

Technically, you don't need a medical;

It was required that i get a type three medical before i could take my tandem instructor class. Is it required by the manufacturer?

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

The requirement for a FAA Class 3 medical certificate is in the BSR's

C. Medical REquirements [NW]
2. Any skydiver acting as parachutist in command on a tandem jump must possess an FAA Class 3 medical certificate or the equivalent.
D28695 PoPs #9237
"Mix ignorance with arrogance at low altitude and the results are almost guaranteed to be spectacular"
— Bruce Landsberg

The requirement for a FAA Class 3 medical certificate is in the BSR's

The FAA require you to be trained by the manufacturer "or a course acceptable to the Administrator." The manufacturers require you to have a medical, once you have been trained, the FAA doesn't require the medical.

The BSR's don't mean anything to the FAA. You don't need an AFF rating to do AFF in the U.S. You don't even need an Instructor to learn to skydive in the U.S.

Derek

*** The BSR's don't mean anything to the FAA. You don't need an AFF rating to do AFF in the U.S. You don't even need an Instructor to learn to skydive in the U.S.

Correct, the BSR's are nothing but guidelines to be followed or ignored by each DZ as they see fit.
D28695 PoPs #9237
"Mix ignorance with arrogance at low altitude and the results are almost guaranteed to be spectacular"
— Bruce Landsberg

Derek,

Just my take on this.

If the rig maker requires a physical then (as I understand the FAR) it is a "legal requiremnt". I do not know about Jump Shack and Strongs requirments but RWS does require the physical.

If USPA is considered the "acceptable" replacement of the maker's course and USPA has it in the BSR's then isn't it a "legal" requirment again?

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

If the rig maker requires a physical then (as I understand the FAR) it is a "legal requiremnt". I do not know about Jump Shack and Strongs requirments but RWS does require the physical.

I don't see anything beyond;

"(iv) Has successfully completed a tandem instructor course given by the manufacturer of the tandem parachute system used in the parachute operation or a course acceptable to the Administrator."

For example, I could still legally act as a Parachutist in Command. I have been trained, etc.

I do think TI's should have a Class III or better medical and I always had one when I did tandems. But I don't think it is an FAA requirement.

Derek

Why only a Class III?

Basically what I've seen, if you can get into the Doc's office under you're own power you're passing the Class III.

Why not a Class I like commercial pilots?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."