tearseyes

tandem rating question

Derek,

My undrstanding is this; RWS requires a currect Physical to take the course and for annual currency.

So I take that to mean a Physical is an FAA requirment.

But this does not mean I am right. :P

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Why only a Class III?

Basically what I've seen, if you can get into the Doc's office under you're own power you're passing the Class III.

Why not a Class I like commercial pilots?

Excellent question. A class II is required for commercial operations, which should apply to paid tandem jumps. Another thought is what level of health and often the physical should be passed to act as a TI. Is a class III sufficient? Has there been any issues caused by the TI having a medical issue a class II or I would have caught and/or prevented?

I don't have any good answers to this one.

Derek

Has there been any issues caused by the TI having a medical issue a class II or I would have caught and/or prevented?

I'm not sure and I'm not sure even the manufactures would have that data...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

My undrstanding is this; RWS requires a currect Physical to take the course and for annual currency.

So I take that to mean a Physical is an FAA requirment.

I think RWS won't train you w/o one and the FAA requires the training, so it is required for the intitial certification. But there isn't anything in the FAR's about currency or maintaining anything. Get trained, etc and you are a TI for life, like being a rigger. (Except riggers do have a currency requirement)

Derek

Is there any "implied" currency in the FAR?

I understand the makers had planned on letting the Cert/renewal go to USPA but pulled them back at the last minute.

It isn't an issue for me personaly. I stay current and the Army insures my physicals stay up to date.;)

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Also as far as the differences in a Class I, II and III FAA physical, I have held all three (I currently hold a First Class) and there seems to be little difference in the exams (until you hit 40, where you're required an EKG for a 1st Class) except for the cost. Obviosuly the duration of the physical is different. The physical reverts to a lower class physical over a period of time.

FAA physical, - eye test, BP test, piss test, touch your toes test, hearing test, check your breathing and heartbeat, turn your head and cough, I've even gotten the finger :o treatment...

every year, along w/ your other instructor ratings,

Look at the IRM on uspa's web site, that will give you some info as far as renewing

Why only a Class III?

Basically what I've seen, if you can get into the Doc's office under you're own power you're passing the Class III.

Careful what you wish for. A Class I is only good for 6 months, so you'll be going to the Doc 4 times as often. I get a Class II at work every year.

Why only a Class III?

I go with my wife once in a while when she
goes in for her class 1...

Some of the commerical pilots I see there
COULDN'T have gotten there under their own
power! :ph34r::P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

There will be no problem with getting copies of the waivers. The TI's card might be a problem due to the cards not being on the TI's person. I don't keep mine with me. Also, I have never had anyone ask, so I would think it odd.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

What if you find out that a tandem instructor who takes people up every weekend multiple times actually does not have a tandem rating? What action should be taken in that instance? Is this something for the USPA, FAA, or the rig manufacturer, or all three?
Anvile Brother #59

What if you find out that a tandem instructor who takes people up every weekend multiple times actually does not have a tandem rating? What action should be taken in that instance? Is this something for the USPA, FAA, or the rig manufacturer, or all three?

You know of a place where this is happening? If you wish to intervene, then I'd start with the rig maker and USPA. Where is this going on?:|
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Being labeled as a whistle blower will make you very unpopular in the very small world of skydiving. Something to consider.

The FAA is the only one of the 3 you listed with any authority.

Derek

Being labeled as a whistle blower will make you very unpopular in the very small world of skydiving. Something to consider.

The FAA is the only one of the 3 you listed with any authority.

Derek

This is the reason I'm just inquiring about it right now, because I don't want to be labeled like that but at the same time I'm concerned for the safety of the pepople this instructor is taking up.
Anvile Brother #59

This is the reason I'm just inquiring about it right now, because I don't want to be labeled like that but at the same time I'm concerned for the safety of the pepople this instructor is taking up.

My experience with an unrated AFFI taking up students was the USPA didn't care.

My experience with a pilot flying jumpers w/o a Class II or I medical or conta cting ATC because he believed he didn't have to was USPA and the FAA didn't care. The same pilot ended up killing someone when he crashed while violating a lot of FAR's. The FAA revoked his pilot's rating for a while, but he them back now.

Jumpers don't care and won't suppoort you and if you raise the issue, you will be fighting a very uphill battle. Regardless of what happends, you will lose.

This type of stuff is one of the big reasons I sold my gear and haven't made a skydive in over a year. You can't fix things and catch hell for trying.

Derek

See, now that is the really f'ed up part about this, I know that the USPA isn't a governing body but in situations like this they need to step in with some regulations. All they give are guidelines. I'm going to feel like shit when some unsuspecting student gets seriously injured or killed because of his negligence.
Anvile Brother #59

See, now that is the really f'ed up part about this, I know that the USPA isn't a governing body but in situations like this they need to step in with some regulations. All they give are guidelines. I'm going to feel like shit when some unsuspecting student gets seriously injured or killed because of his negligence.

If its a GM DZ then they're "supposed" to be following the BSRs, BUT if you do a search on the subject, you'll see a lot of reasons why they're not/can't and suggestions for fixing the problem, etc.

EDIT: By "they're" I'm refering to the USPA.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

They are a GM DZ

Follow the money.

GM DZ's require USPA membership which brings in the money that makes USPA operate. If USPA disciplines DZ's, then the DZ's won't be GM DZ' anymore and USPA will go broke. USPA won't bite the hand that feeds it. It is a conflict of interest.

DZO's run USPA. If USPA is going to do something DZO"s don't want it to do, USPA backs down. Look at the ISP program, incident reporting, the lowering of the standards to become an AFFI, etc. USPA is a scam. They give the appearance of governing skydiving when in fact it is the DZO's puppet.

Derek

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Start by applying low-key pressure to the individuals involved.
Start by telling the TI that you are aware of his missing paperwork and that you will not bring anymore tandem students to his DZ until he does a few jumps with a Tandem Examiner.
That low-key, verbal approach worked recently with a small Canadian DZ. Last summer they invited a Tandem Examiner to spend a week training their staff.
If that does not change his behaviour, then tell the DZO that you will not bring him anymore tandem students. Remind him every time you take a tandem student to a neighboring DZ. Sooner or later he will clue in that he is losing money by employing non-rated staff.
If a season's worth of teasing does not change his business practices, then share your concerns with your USPA Conference Director. He will gently lean on the DZO.
If verbal warnings do not produce results, start putting your concerns in writing. Letters carry far more weight. If your Conference Director ignores your warnings, then start sending registered letters to USPA's Board of Directors.
While you are writing letters, send copies to the un-rated instructor and his DZO. The last thing the DZO wants is for his dirty laundry to be aired at a USPA Board meeting.
Finally, the last thing you want to do is involve the FAA. The FAA does not want to be involved with regulating parachuting. They prefer to ignore parachuting as long as it does not interfer with airliners or endanger whuffos. Their only response will be to shut down the DZ.
Skydivers live in a tiny community, The last thing you want to do is involve the press or the FAA.