Tweek

Wondering what it takes to get a DC-3 started

I can neither confirm or deny said location,names will be changed to protect the offenders.:ph34r:LOL
But I will say it did work.
Anyone attempting such must use trained professionals and for gods sake besure to wrap the rope in the correct direction of prop rotation!:P Don't try this at home kids....

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I can neither confirm or deny said location,names will be changed to protect the offenders.:ph34r:LOL
But I will say it did work.
Anyone attempting such must use trained professionals and for gods sake besure to wrap the rope in the correct direction of prop rotation!:P Don't try this at home kids....

~

And it was a lot of fun to watch!!;)

thanks for the help so far everyone, i really appreciate it. ive been trying to get in touch with the guys in utah and eloy, but they are both busy flying, which i take as a good sign. i do have another question though, is there anywhere i can go to find a list of upcoming boogies?

I talked about this with some people who knew about such things and they said a DC2 would be better in my case because it had better ice breakers in the wings. I wanted to fly around like Howard Hughs. ***

True. A guy named Ernest Kellog Gann wrote a story about a scary evening he spent as a first officer in a DC2 over the Blue Ridge mountains, with about 4 in. of ice on the airplane. This was back in the early days of airline travel, and it is very entertaining reading. In the story I recall the captain, a man named Hughen, grumbling about the fact that he had drawn a flight in an older DC2 that night, then later stating something to the effect that a DC3 just wouldn't have stayed in the air with the load of ice they were carrying. I believe the short story version is called "Fate is the Hunter".

http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Aerospace/Douglas-1930s/Aero28.htm

Only 156 DC-2s were ever built and I doubt if any are flying today.
The vast majority of DC-3s (10,147) were built during World War 2.
And if you want to be picky, most "DC-3s are actually C-47s or RD-4Ds built for the military with cargo doors.

Might contact larry Hill at Eloy.

Cargo door:)

Got lots of spare parts and a mechanic that will travel with the bird?

I think there might be a lot of aircraft chasing the boogie circuit during the season.:o So take that in consideration with the answers you get:).

I'm guessing the most cost effictive boogies would be the ones closest to your base ops. The DZ0's will want $/head and you should know what kind of a rate of climb and fuel consumption your DC can get with a max load.

Add up your costs dicide by # jumpers find a place to fly iy your set to go. BTw you could be weathered out, seat belts, condition of interior, FAa etc are also considerations among others.

R.I.P.

I also have seen 47 people in a Douglas. (Southern Cross). The DC-3 is an awesome airplane, the cabin is cavernous. I love these airplanes as I am somewhat of a round engine junkie. I've got about 600 Beech 18 jumps and close to 100 DC-3 jumps. However, most jumpers that I know of these days are what I like to refer to as "TURBINE BABIES", and will bitch about anything that does not burn jet fuel. Good luck getting your airplane to make money at an event these days. Minimum load in the Southern Cross at our DZ was 23. These were regular jump tickets prices. We flew it regularly on the weekends, but it was loaded with 6 tandems with what ever videos + fun jumpers to make up the difference. But, what an awesome airplane! Also, larger group exits can be accomplished from the Douglas if you put a "porch" outside the door. (8 foot long OSHA 2 BY 10) Ya just can't see the floaters cuz there is no 6 foot wide door.

I believe Deland's Mr. Douglas holds the record. I was on a load in 1976 (I think) and Jay Boynton was counting the jumpers.... 57, 58, 59, 60... at which point he yelled foward "balls to the wall!!!" Carl Daugherty (still jumping) was on that load. I was probably too young to realize how over wieght that was. In my opinion, that particular DC-3 (2 stage superchargers) would take off with pretty much anything you could stuff inside. Forty jumpers on that DC-3 and on the Z-Hills C-47 were common in those days.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

2 stage superchargers were standard, correct?

Over 60 in a DC3? That must have been crowded. I'll bet a lot had to stand up the entire time toward the front, as was typical on many Beech 18 loads.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

thanks for the help so far everyone, i really appreciate it. ive been trying to get in touch with the guys in utah and eloy, but they are both busy flying, which i take as a good sign. i do have another question though, is there anywhere i can go to find a list of upcoming boogies?

I forwarded your info on to Don Kirlin from the World Free Fall Convention.
Beth
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

as bclark said skydive utah has a dc-3 durring the summer.. if i belive right it is like $500 and hour if you want to rent it fromthe owner (bob metz).. and if i rmeber corectly bob is sorta based out of lodi........... i can't rmeber what engines it has but i know it has almost double the hourse power per side as the eloy dc-3 and even more HP than a turbine conversion.. want to say 1500HP a side sounds about right... and besides the oil it spewed on my rig after it had sat for about a month it really doesn't leak much at all.........

$100,000 thousand is the cheapest I found for a turbine conversion. Depending on you model of DC-3/C-47 it will hold anywhere from 35 to 65 people. 35 is the very bare minimum amount of jumpers to break even. Charge $20 to get them to 14k and for god sakes get the conversion. It makes a whole bunch of difference. All the numbers are correct if you go with the conversion I have for you. but what do I know? I'm only 14!!B|
Na' Cho' Cheese