skybytch

jumping on pain meds

See this post. Whether the poster is serious or kidding it brings up a couple good questions.

Would you jump on pain meds? If you would, is there a particular number of pills you would use as a cutoff point (ie jump on one or two but not three or more)? Are there particular meds that you would jump on and others that you wouldn't? Would you be pissed if you found out that someone you are jumping with is jumping on pain meds?

edit to add - Should be been more clear - I'm talking about serious pain meds like Vicodin, Percoset, Darvocet , etc.... the stuff that makes you kinda loopy and sleepy. Not talking about over the counter meds like aspirin, Tylenol, naprosyn, etc.

I wouldn't jump on anything more than OTC pain meds (advil, tylenol, etc.). If I am hurt enough to be on prescription pain meds then I think I shouldn't be jumping anyway. The sky isn't going anywhere. I like to have all my faculties in working order while I'm in the air.
I think I might be a little mad if someone I was jumping with was jumping on prescription pain meds. I don't want anyone feeling "lazy" or too "relaxed" corking near me...
Thats my 0.02...

I think when Jesus said "love your enemy" he probably meant don't kill them.

No, I would not jump on pain meds (i.e. prescription). If I took a Tylenol or Excedrin - no biggie as those do not impair functions. But, Vicodin, etc. - anything that impairs function - absolutely not. I will not put myself or others in jeopardy. The sky will wait - risking killing or injuring myself or someone else because I jumped while under the influence of a pain med - unforgiveable.>:(
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

My answers... based on my experience being on Vicodin and Soma pretty much 24/7 for nearly 9 months.
I wouldn't jump on any prescription pain med, regardless of how long I'd been taking it. If I'm in enough pain that I need to take one or more pills to get through the day I don't belong in the air. Even when I had developed enough tolerance to drive and work on Vicodin and Soma I didn't jump.

OTC meds are different; a couple Aleve (naprosyn) in the morning do wonders to keep my back from hurting at the end of the day.

I would be upset if I found out that someone I was jumping with was under the influence of prescription pain meds while jumping.

I would hope, but not assume, that people do not jump after taking meds. This falls into the same category as alcohol. I would be totally pissed if I knew someone had been on medication while jumping. It should be grounds for banishment.

---------------------------------------------------------
He who laughs last, didn't get the joke

It makes me sad that you're always in so much pain. :( Me personally, i will not jump while taking any hardcore pain meds. I ue Aleve a lot cause it's the best OTC pain med ever, and i still jump while taking that. Anything that requires a prescription though, i'm gonna be on the ground (most likely sleeping).

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

OMG! That is the craziest thing I've ever seen! Sorry Tinkerbelle, but I think you are a nut. Perhaps you have a high tolerance for your meds, but still, that is not the safest move:S I personally would not ever even consider jumping on any kind of pain meds whatsoever! If I had that much pain, I would have no business jumping from aircraft, formost for the safety of other people! Just my $0.02-Caress
I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being
right.

I wouldn't jump on any prescription pain med, regardless of how long I'd been taking it. If I'm in enough pain that I need to take one or more pills to get through the day I don't belong in the air. Even when I had developed enough tolerance to drive and work on Vicodin and Soma I didn't jump.

OTC meds are different; a couple Aleve (naprosyn) in the morning do wonders to keep my back from hurting at the end of the day.

I would be upset if I found out that someone I was jumping with was under the influence of prescription pain meds while jumping.

Ditto! You pretty much took the words right out of my mouth.

I tore my ACL last Summer and have been in 2 car accidents in the past year so I'm becoming familiar with taking pain meds to get through the day. Mostly I take the bare minimum to ease pain without feeling drugged. I have not and will not EVER jump after taking any of my stronger meds. Aleve and Advil are a daily thing now though. [:/]

Oh and I stopped reading posts from "certain" individuals (ie. your link) because they seem to be on here just for some attention. (Can you say Drama Queen?!) Dancing on the line of being a troll but since they apparently do jump people put up with it? :S

BettyAnn

Getting married? Check out my website!

I do not think most people should jump while on pain meds.

Unfortunately, I have to say that for me, it'd depend on what pain they were treating & the historical affects they have on my performance.

Most meds say not to drive or operate heavy machinery... how many of you drive while medicated? That is dangerous to others as well.

If I was taking meds to releave back or hip or neck pain, I wouldn't be jumping - for fear of futher injury. But if it was to releave say arm surgery, I prob would - all depending on prior knowledge of their affect!!

I have a VERY high tollerance to drugs, the amount I have to take to totally numb my body are near the top of the legal limit. I've taken 3 doses of vicoden w/ in 6 hours & felt 100% normal - went to school, work (as a waitress), drove & everything. After having finger surger (plate & screws), I was taking hydrocodone (2 doses every 2.5 hours); if I skipped a dose during the night I'd wake up in the worst pain of my life. If I take a smaller amount - typically some of the pain goes away so I can function like a normal human - but I can still tell is't there; my moter funcyions are not decreased (well more than usual anyway :S).

As in most things, the general rule is no, BUT.... each individual is different. If the medication historically makes you fall asleep or feel loopie - don't jump.

Better to be on the ground wishing you were jumping than in the air wishing you were on the ground - that's the rule of my skydiving.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

I see three problems.

1. Functional. Pain meds can slow your reaction times, impair your judgement and mess with your sense of timing. And skydivers require all of those to be safe jumpers.

2. Proprioceptive. Some pain medications can mess with your sense of balance and your sense of where your limbs are. This can make skydiving tougher, and can even cause safety issues (like pulling without being stable.)

3. Anesthetic. Pain meds are excellent at preventing you from feeling pain (duh.) And if you break your ankle landing, and walk on it for a while because it doesn't hurt that much, you could turn a minor problem into a major orthopedic nightmare.

Each situation is different, but I'd want to be pretty sure I could do other related activities before I tried skydiving on any pain meds (like flying in a tunnel.) And as always the advice of a doctor should be the main consideration.

I think it depends on the meds, and on the person.

When I had my screwed up ankle, I can honestly tell you that while the vicodin was a great pain relever, it didn't have any of the reported "side effects". It didn't make me woozy or tired. I regularly drove my car. If I had heavy machinery, I probably would have operated it.

I didn't skydive, because the idea of skydiving with a freshly broken ankle didn't particularly appeal to me.

That said, if I was taking the same medication for something that wasn't as critical to skydiving as my ankle was, I would not instantly rule it out. The drugs simply didn't affect me in a way that hindered my performance.

Drugs affect everybody differently. While blanket rules might be a good starting point, they aren't 100% accurate.

I would much rather somebody jump in the state that I was in when I was on vicodin, then while drunk, stoned on weed, or hungover - all of which are not exceedingly rare events.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I have a VERY high tollerance to drugs, the amount I have to take to totally numb my body are near the top of the legal limit.

Thats something else to consider too. I have hardly any tolerance to drugs. I can generally take 1/2 a dose of an OTC drug. Most times if i take the maximum amount of an OTC, i'll get loopy.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Couple things:

1. Medication side-effects at sea level can have entirely different reaction on a person at altitude.

2. The individual better consult with their JUMP PILOT prior to boarding. I'd think they would have an entirely different viewpoint on the matter!:o..........like don't screw with their ticket...

Robert, I couldn't say it better. Pressure, both increased and decreased is a big influence on medication. All the crap about "it doesn't really affect me" is bull###. Try taking reaction tests after taking the meds, (I have) I will guarantee that you have slowed down, no matter what you think. So stop thinking you are immune to side effects, and stop jumping, driving and operating machinery while on them. I’ll bet all the folks who say “I can handled them” would not be too happy if the pilot of the load was taking meds but says "Don't worry I can handle them" !

Would you jump on pain meds?

My short answer is yes, been there, done that. (Percocet/Vicodin) I'm not saying I condone it, just that I've had the experience.

Everyone's tolerance level is different.

In professional sports I imagine it's done all the time.

Most times if i take the maximum amount of an OTC, i'll get loopy

I wish that was my problem... instead, I'm always afraid of ODing before the pain goes away [:/].

I have taken performance tests & they've been fine - doc didn't believe I was ok/still feeling pain after the huge doses he was giving me.

I will not jump if I don't feel fine, sometimes I feel like one of the only people that doesn't believe that an "air bath is the best cure for a hang-over". No thanks, if I'm fuzzy, I'm not gettin on the plane.

I do agree 100% on checkin w/ the pilot, I just adore him way too much to think of affecting his ability to fly.

Eric - you crack me up :)

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

***In professional sports I imagine it's done all the time
-------------------------------------------------------
I doubt that is done in extreme pro sports like F1, NASCAR, drag racing, where the individual life is on the line. I suppose rythmic gymnastics may have a place for it, There is no place for it in our sport. period

your web site is blocked by my work cause it "falls under the catigory of sex".

Hahaha I find that to be really funny ! ! B|:$:) Thanks for telling me. It's all skydiving related but looking at it the main page there's a picture of a baby chicken with the quote "You can't fly until you get laid." I hope that's not what blocked it.:S

Do me a favor and see if you can get there using this direct link.

You tryin to get me fired!?!!?

Never ! !

Lisa,

Qualifications first... I'm a beginner in this "sport", but this topic is about ATTITUDE and DISCERNMENT, not very dependent on skydiving experience. I was born... just not yesterday. I've had moments of intense pain, longer periods of significant pain, and the plain old nuisance pain that one accumulates having survived as long as I have in spite of the best efforts to obtain the opposite... I'm no pro at being medicated for effect, but I'm not a cherry either.

I've heard supposed excuses for being in an altered state of consciousness for everything from driving, to combat, and lots of supposedly innocuous other activities... it's all lunacy. I've even floated some of that BS myself from time to time... I've also had to witness the result of such intentional idiocy when Mr. Murphy took advantage of the opening accorded him.

If you wish to increase the risk for skydiving, please do it in a manner that does so only for you! That would entail at the minimum informing everyone you're jumping with about your reduced capacity (and don't bother telling me you can handle it). I suppose I'd be mostly preaching to deaf ears if I praised "Delayed Gratification" when it comes to your health and well being.

One pill, two pills? Please be responsible when making a judgement of this kind. There are some of us who are barely safe enough to be in the air sober... at what grey area of medication do you cross over the line?

Russ

Generally, it is your choice; will your life serve as an example... or a warning?