funks

Altimeter use under canopy

I think the only time I look at it under canopy is just out of curiousity wondering how high i am. Other than that I cant remember the last time I used it for landing or approach purposes.

To what degree do you use your altimeter under canopy?

I my alti but for the most part use my eyes and judge where I need to be when to set up a proper approach and landing...

---------------------------------------------------
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I use it to test my altitude eyeballing skills. My procedure:

1. Guess height.

2. Check.

3. Learn.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

I use my neptune on every jump to help me setup the proper altitudes for my pattern and for setting up my 270. Now I use my eyes to verfy that I'm where I think I am in altitude, but I use my neptune a lot.

Its something I picked up from talking to some top end swoopers and Scott Miller during his course.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I use my Suuunto to help determine the correct altitude for initiating swoops.

I prefer an original Dytter. Set it to the altitude of entry for a perfect swoop and all you have to do is dial in a 180 when it goes off; you are guaranteed to have people wondering how you achieved such mastery so easily.

Put the fun back in "Funeral!"

I check my alti before I unstow my brakes (in case something goes bad I know my altitude). I then use it to initiate my landing pattern, and also use it when, on my downwind leg, I pass the spot I want to land. I then use it to switch to my base but I never use it to turn to final. I find the couple of reference points, particularly at the point I’m passing where I want to land on my downwind help tremendously with my accuracy. In general I can put my canopy down within 10 or 15 feet of where I want to be every time IF I use my alti to set up my pattern. If not I end up 50 feet from where I want to land.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I use my Neptune all the time under canopy. I always check it after opening to know where I'm at and continually check it as I fly my pattern. It's also been an invaluable tool for swooping. Just because I look at it frequently does not mean that I rely on it however. I've done plenty of jumps with no altimeter and still open at the right altitude and can still swoop through a course. I figure that if I have it on I might as well use it, but I always rely on my eyes first and foremost.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

I check my alti pretty much everywhere Reginald does: after opening, to start landing pattern, sometime downwind and turning base.

I also use it to tell me when 2,500 feet passes so I can tell myself "no more stupid stuff under canopy", e.g. CRW or intentional stall fun. (I closed 2 end cells on my Sabre2 at 1,500 feet once and almost soiled myself before I got it straightened out.)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

depending on the spot i use it to make sure i'm going to cross the runway to low, but the analog alti's arent much use otherwise under canopy..

i borrowed a neptune for a while while doing a CC and its a hell of a training tool, as well as one more 'sanity check' when setting up for swoops..but as i was taught, learn to use your eyes first, judge your altitude for your approach and THEN check the neptune to verify what your eyes are telling you... its a very good feedback method for learning the parameters of your canopy as well...nearly every pro swooper i know swears by its accuracy... but like any other device can fail and shouldnt be totally relied own..

still cant wait to get one of my own...B|

but like any other device can fail and shouldnt be totally relied own..

Yep, had one lock up at 5k on a night HAHO. Using the backlight from 13k down to that killed the year old battery off :$

On the up side, mechanical aids are only likely to fail when you need them the most.

Many of the pro swoopers jump with intruments these days to help them with their setup for their swoop. If an instrument is good enough for them, then it's good enough for me (and yes my swoops have gotten better because of it). I currently use a Suunto mounted on a belt secured around my waist.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I use my altimeter to check my altitude when I open up. I also determine a halfway point between my opening point and the landing area. I then cut my opening altitude in half and determine what altitude I need to be at by the halfway point. If I am lower than that altitude, its a good idea to find an open offsite place to land. Altimeters are also very useful in guaging your swoops.

Cheers,
Travis

Test pilot training takes on a new challenge for reading the alt.For me I have to stick to keeping it simple.Once I reach 2,500 ft., I Start thinking about were I need to be at 1,000 ft. to enter my pattern.Sometimes I might start entering at 1,500 just to make sure I have a good handle on the conditions.Strictly ACC. basics.