SSkydiver

Audible setting

5 K early warning of impending breakoff when this tone ends

3.5 K Pitch the PC by the time this tone ends

1.8 K Hard deck
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I have only just started jumping with a pro track. I had it set for 4500 (break off), 3500 (deployment) and 2500 (500' before hard deck), but after speaking to a few instructors who basically said not to rely on it to remind me to do anything I now only have it set at:

3000 - only because you cant set a pro tracks first warning any lower than 3k. >:(

2500 - 500' above hard deck. I then have about 2 seconds to make a final decision and respond as I hit my hard deck.
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

Maybe you can double check that this is what your instructors meant. You can have an audible set for break off and still not rely on. Just be sure to keep an eye on your visual alti and the ground reference. Some say you should not rely on your visual alti either and they are right. But that doesn't mean everyone should stop using one, just that you should also have an internal clock and ground/horizion visual to back it up. I would sure rather have my audible let me know I missed alti check at break off time, then at pull time when I still had a bunch of friends in my face. Use it as a backup don't rely on it. Whould tou turn your ADD off because someone told you not to rely on it? Talk to your instuctors again.

Maybe you can double check that this is what your instructors meant. You can have an audible set for break off and still not rely on. Just be sure to keep an eye on your visual alti and the ground reference. Some say you should not rely on your visual alti either and they are right. But that doesn't mean everyone should stop using one, just that you should also have an internal clock and ground/horizion visual to back it up. I would sure rather have my audible let me know I missed alti check at break off time, then at pull time when I still had a bunch of friends in my face. Use it as a backup don't rely on it. Whould tou turn your ADD off because someone told you not to rely on it? Talk to your instuctors again.

I dont use the audible as my main altitude indicator, its strictly a back-up, was just getting some ideas as to what are good altitude setting for the "just in case"

I dont use the audible as my main altitude indicator, its strictly a back-up, was just getting some ideas as to what are good altitude setting for the "just in case"

I was actually replying to the post from nael.

Maybe you can double check that this is what your instructors meant. You can have an audible set for break off and still not rely on.

Yeah, they told me to set it just below break off, just below pull height, and at my hard deck. Then we had the discussion of someone with under 100 jumps with an audible (some of them think it's a bad idea), and I basically came to the conclusion I'd leave it set for my hard deck and that's it.

Do you think I'd be better off setting it just below break off and pull aswell? I'm open to opinions, I just thought setting it like this until I get a few more jumps would be a good idea.

If you set it for you hard deck and you lose track of alti then when you hear you audible you should be going straight to your reserve, right? Not the best scenario IMO. If you are planning on going to your reserve then you are breaking your hard deck. IMO if you have it use it, it may save your life. But again don't rely on it. My 2 cents.

If you set it for you hard deck and you lose track of alti then when you hear you audible you should be going straight to your reserve, right? Not the best scenario IMO. If you are planning on going to your reserve then you are breaking your hard deck. IMO if you have it use it, it may save your life. But again don't rely on it. My 2 cents.

It's actually set for 500' above my hard deck, and if I heard it, I'd still go for my main, unless I was at or below 1500' when i deployed. Plus, there's the first warning altitude set at 3000' because I cant set it any lower (but after thinking about it I doubt I would set it lower even if I could). If I'm still in freefall at that altitude (and have not broken off from the rest of the group) I have enough time to react.

All the warning tones mean different things to different jumpers. It all depends on you, to choose them, and what they mean to you.
For instance I freefly, so at 5500 I wanna break off and track, at 3500 I want to stop tracking slow down and pull. I may pull at 3k one jump and 2800 the next, but when I hear the third warning at 1500' it means stop fighting a mal and cutaway, which is a low cutaway. For me, a cutaway should be compleated by 2000' so if I hear my third warning it means something is wrong and I lost alti awarness.

First – break-off (4,500 is common)
Second – 300ish feet above where I want to pitch (3,500 is common if 4,500 is break-off)
Third – 1,800. This never changes. If I ever hear this I should be grabbing handles.

A few notes, I do rely on the first tone for break-off. I am usually working on turning points and RELY on it. Of course I have an internal clock that I count on too but with 3+ other people on the skydive it is highly unlikely everyone will have their audible fail or ignore break-off. However, I do check my visual once in a while, particularly if the skydive is going well…after about 12 point I just feel the dive should be over!

The second tone I don’t rely on. I count during track and use the audible as a backup.

The third tone I do take seriously. If I hear this I should be grabbing handles. If by the time I have them in hand I don’t have a good main above me then there is no thinking about it I pull them. Why do I have my setting like this? I spent 15 minutes talking with a person with 12,000 jumps about the various ramifications of the settings, my skill level, the type of skydiving I do, etc. I suggest anyone ask their instructors of a respected jumper on their DZ the same. One major point, the person that gave me advice is serious that the flat line means grab handles and pull if you don’t have a good main above you by the time your handles are in hand. He thinks it is a recipe for disaster to have it set a few seconds above your hard deck because if you think you have a couple of seconds to work on fixing a problem you stand too high a chance of working on trying to fix a problem for the “rest of your life”. Flat line means handles!

And since someone is going to take things out of context, YES there is a big does of common sense needed. I jumped with a guy just off A license this weekend, I kept an eye on my visual on a regular basis because I did not trust him to be altitude aware and I didn’t have much else to do as he was trying to come in and dock. I did a large formation that required me to pull at 2,500 feet, I knew that with an 800 foot snivel on my main I might hear my flat line and I did for all of about half a second. I was damn ready to cutaway if needed but knew I might get a half a second of flat line as I hit my hard deck.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

3500 -- below breakoff on most jumps. Which means hopefully I haven't been depending on it for altitude awareness in RW.
2500 -- if I haven't already slowed down and checked, DO IT NOW, because pull time is a little past here.
1500 -- do something now.

I don't want to rely on it to remind me of life-saving actions I have to take. If it starts to a little too often, I might do without for awhile until I'm just using my eyes and altimeter again.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

5000 - break off
3500 - it's time to pull
2500 - if by now still un free fall and there is no main pull silver

...And once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return...
blue sky
Asaf

4500 usually, 5000 for tracking or bigger ways
3000 - Pull now please
1500 - get outta here.

I don't see the validity for me of having the hard deck higher unless the second alert is higher. When I had 3K & 2K I would often pull c. 2800 and get the flatline on my pro dyter going off. Now at least if it goes off I know I really am low and need to deal with it. I also disagree a little with 'naels' instruictors but I understand the emphasis - you should not learn to rely soley on the dyter but having it set for break off is no bad thing really.

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

One setting and ONE SETTING ONLY... 1,600ft "flatline".

Anything else above that is ENTIRELY "up to me". My "experience"? ...It's just too darn easy to become either "dependent" or "Pavlovian" over these things.

I'll adjust it occasionally for "special" dives (big-ways for instance where I know I may be more intently "focused"). Personally, I use an audible similar to a Cypres... it is a BACK-UP only, which I hope I will never "need". But that's just me.

My GF just bought me a shiny-new Protrack and the Jumptrack software to go with it for my b-day. I'm looking forward to seeing all the "nifty" little stat's (and charts/graphs) it supposedly does. Also got the ankle-strap with it, so I have no intent of using it AT ALL, as my "audible". Again though, -that's just me.

Blue Skies,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone