dropdeded

From 23 Grand

I doubt that Mullins plane is currently running the level of avionics needed to meet the new requirements. My understanding is that some older business jets don't meet the new requirements and are having to be retrofitted.

How many jump planes still have the packages to do ILS approaches? Not many. (Not many have working deicers either but thats a different point :P) Thats a starting point for the new equipment list. Plus you have to find a pilot willing to go get and maintain a new rating and training just to do the flights. Someone like Mike has the advantage here since he probally will get that training anyways.

Its going to be interesting to see exactly who spends the money to do it for these rare jumps.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I doubt that Mullins plane is currently running the level of avionics needed to meet the new requirements. My understanding is that some older business jets don't meet the new requirements and are having to be retrofitted.

Here's a kicker. Quite a few of the business jets have the equipment and aircrew certification completed for RVSM airspace, but still have not gotten their paperwork back from the FAA FSDO office, theefore haveing spent 100's of thousands of dollars getting up to the new standards.

If you cross 29001 ATC will see you. I can gaurentee that if you are off pattern by 100 feet at those altitudes center will be riding your ass and probally will have someone waiting for you when you land. The restrictions on flying get pretty strict at those levels.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

My highest alt. is 20K. Honestly, I didn't like it all that much. Having to worry about the oxygen on the way up on the long plane ride, the thin air which does mean little control until you get down lower, all for an extra 35 seconds of free fall. Fun to do once, but unless I have a compelling reason to do it again it’s not something I’m jumping to do (for give my pun).
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

That's MSL, right?

I thought above 18,000 feet (Flight Level 180) altitudes were based on an altimeter setting of 29.92. But I'm a helo puke and am real uncomfortable when flying above 200 feet.

Once did a three way from 23K. We got two points, but had to suck it lower than planned to get that second point. Big boys fall fast up there. Oh yeah, and we sucked.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

So, whats it like to jump from 23,000 ft

no idea... i did a jump from 21k agl at eloy a couple years ago.... it was cold and a little longer.......

ofcourse here in utah we start out at 4500ft msl so when we go to 12,500 it isn't that far from there anyways..... only an extra 5 k........ not the 7 or 8 for lower sea level jumpers....

I thought above 18,000 feet (Flight Level 180) altitudes were based on an altimeter setting of 29.92.

That's true, you are actually flying a pressure level (uniform barometric setting to a "standard" day for temperature and pressure), hence Flight Level 180, etc..... Since traffic only 500 ft. underneath you is flying a pressure altitude (barometric setting corrected to sea level) IF the altimeter setting is under 29.92, FL180 is unusable for ATC separation, since someone flying at 17,500 could smack into someone at FL180 if the altimeter was 29.42. I'm pretty sure I haven't got that backwards.

Anyway, on the 30,000 (FL300) HALO jump issue, DRVSM is exclusionary for non participating aircraft. The exceptions are Heads of State, military, and Life Guard flights. It MAY still be possible in the future to get up that high again if the operation is willing to take the trouble to get an Altitude Reservation (ALTRV) through Central Altitude Reservation Function (CARF) of the FAA's Command Center. They aren't set up to do that yet for civilian parachute drops.Here is the link if you're bored.

Bob Marks

http://www.fly.faa.gov/Products/Information/CARF/carf.html
Bob Marks

"-when you leave the airplane its all wrong til it goes right, its a whole different mindset, this is why you have system redundancy." Mattaman

Find out this weekend at Taft ! Mike Mullins will be flying loads to 23 grand, with oxygen. Didn't make one last year, but think this weekend I'll give it a go. Sounds like something we need to try at least once. Besides, there will be plenty of cheap ($17) skydives from "only" 14 grand and a great feed on Saturday night.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

a friend in the milatary did a s/l jump from 33k and was under canopy for 1/2 an hour. when i asked him what it was like he said f**king cold. i said but it must have been a magical experience with breathtaking views to which he replied no it was f**king COLD

So, whats it like to jump from 23,000 ft.??

Cold and tiring. On the sit-fly jumps I made from that altitude my arms felt like they were going to fall off.

Amen to that. I'm limited in sit fly and my buddy and I got bored[:/].
I'd like to speed dive it once though

I recall several high alti's at titusville...where I thought "kuhl I have more time to work on new skills" and I kept looking at my alti thinking "it should be time to pull now...it should be over now...geez this is a long time" and it was nuttin but cccccold and long...:D for extra dollars...

not having been over 10k i'd get well confused at looking at my alti and seeing 12k more than once no doubt.

My alti-III stopped at 18K. It wouldn't go past the 6 on the second trip around the dial. Kind of weird seeing a frozen altimeter in freefall. Anyway, the difference in sight picture makes the difference between 12K & 24K pretty obvious.

How many jump planes still have the packages to do ILS approaches? Not many. (Not many have working deicers either but thats a different point :P) Thats a starting point for the new equipment list. Plus you have to find a pilot willing to go get and maintain a new rating and training just to do the flights. Someone like Mike has the advantage here since he probally will get that training anyways.

Its going to be interesting to see exactly who spends the money to do it for these rare jumps.

i did 30,917 ft from mike mullin,s plane at rantoul this past year ,what a hoot -40 deg at exit roughly 2 1/2 min freefall you are going roughly200mph at the top but it feels real slow then as you get lower it feels faster as you slow down because the air is thinner at the top and denser at the bottem and yep mike is equipped enough i guess cuz him and the HALO guys work together a lot . really fun deal try it at rantoul this year , i am going again this year hope this helps answer your questions ITS FUN .
till later have fun & love each other seeya mb65johnny gates

If you cross 29001 ATC will see you. I can gaurentee that if you are off pattern by 100 feet at those altitudes center will be riding your ass and probally will have someone waiting for you when you land. The restrictions on flying get pretty strict at those levels.

Guys... RVSM airspace STARTS at Flight Level 290. Soo.. you need certification to go above Flight Level 280 (28,000 feet pressure altitude with a standard altimeter setting of 29.92"Hg). Don't go thinking that turning off your Mode C altitude encoding and just "pop" up to exit. Are you up on your intercept procedures? Might want to have a listening watch on 121.50 MHz just in case. ;)
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125