Stewart_555

Small Drop Zone Rumor Mill

[:/]I just got back from my first skydive tirp to Floridia. Mostly had a good time but. I jump at three different drop zones in the midwest and while in Floridia I had spent two days with a owner of one of the drop zones. I thought he was okay and his wife was okay but bitchy but. I sat and heard these two bad mouth and put down all of the instructors and skydivers they use back home. I dont understand why.
Now the owner has become a sky god, wintering in Floridia and running his drop zone in Missouri summer time but if his staff is so bad I dont want to go back there. His wife ran manifest like a ass but he seemed to work hard at keeping people moving but if they are that bad I wonder about safety?

You experienced people give me some help. Im going to stop going there I think after this and stay at the drop zone in Arkansas.

You experienced people give me some help. Im going to stop going there I think after this and stay at the drop zone in Arkansas.

I may be new to skydiving, but I don't think this is so much about skydiving.

Here's my take: you can find politics and egos and drama and rumor mills in any part of life. How much you choose to engage in them will generally determine how much you can enjoy those activities.

As for where to jump: you're a customer and a drop zone is a business. Go where you're happy with the business and how they treat their customers. If how they treat their employees is an important consideration to you, sounds like you just got some new information that you can choose to act on or not act on.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I may be new to skydiving, but I don't think this is so much about skydiving.

Here's my take: you can find politics and egos and drama and rumor mills in any part of life. How much you choose to engage in them will generally determine how much you can enjoy those activities.

As for where to jump: you're a customer and a drop zone is a business. Go where you're happy with the business and how they treat their customers. If how they treat their employees is an important consideration to you, sounds like you just got some new information that you can choose to act on or not act on.

exacty what she said!

It's a small community also, and it might not be hard to figure out who you're taking about here. If I were you, I'd change some things in that post.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Here's my take: you can find politics and egos and drama and rumor mills in any part of life.

Yeah, but it's easier to find it at a dropzone. Most DZs are pretty catty places, especially when it comes to talking about other dropzones.

It's an aspect of the "my dropzone/manufacturer/instructor/rigger is the best, the others aren't so good" thought train. Just accept that it exists, that the people behind it aren't bad people, just emotional about a sport they love. Learn to filter it out.

I’m a DZO in a relatively small market (Wichita Kansas), and directly compete with another DZ. We get along, drink beer together; jumpers go freely between the DZs without anyone giving them crap about it, etc. I’m not saying that there are never “issues”, but the DZOs do set the tone. Maybe our situation is unique, or maybe you just don’t hear about the good relationships because people aren’t emotionally charged, and have no interest in spreading that info?
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

All DZ's are the same. You are just begining to see the 'other side' of DZ's that's all. Either accept it and jump or move on.

Derek

I've been around a long time and I'm not nearly as jaded as Derek.

I think what you heard was atypical, and unfortunate.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

It's a small community also, and it might not be hard to figure out who you're taking about here. If I were you, I'd change some things in that post.

Its definetly not hard to figure out Mar....

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

Here is the best advice I can give you "TAKE UP GOLF AND GO AWAY.....FAR AWAY" It is quite obvious that you joined dz.com TODAY only to bitch and moan......As someone else said earlier ""TROLL"".
Go away....far away.
<>
Tami

Here is the best advice I can give you "TAKE UP GOLF AND GO AWAY.....FAR AWAY" It is quite obvious that you joined dz.com TODAY only to bitch and moan......As someone else said earlier ""TROLL"".
Go away....far away.
<>
Tami

you go girl.....can I have some smooches at the Muff brothers boogie;)

--------------------------------------------------

You are right. I will try to change my post. I am not a troll I am a customer. Sharing opinions which are negative about your employees is not taking some one into your confidence it is rumor milling and bad mouthing in public against people that are not there and cannot defend their selves.

You only have a limited about of time to edit a post after you first post the thread. I think the time is six hours, and it's been past that time limit since you first posted your thread.

Makes you want to think before posting.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Go where you are comfortable. I have a DZ 10 minutes from my house and one 1.5 hours from my house. The closer one is rumor millish, cliquish, and not very conducive to teaching a newbie like me. I hate it there, so only go if I have time for a quick jump which fortunately is very rare. I much prefer to drive the 1.5 hour to the more laid back and friendly DZ that is much more teaching oriented and less rumor mill oriented (sure it happens, but that happens anywhere, not just DZ).

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

>>My call is TROLL<<

Maybe so in this case, but I am not sure you have to be a troll to feel let down the first time you realize that politics and egos invade this little world, too.

I was.

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com