Groundbound

[N][N][N][N]Newbie Forum![N][N][N][N]

Finally found a place for newbies!
http://www.skydivingforums.com/
is a forum that has a lot of new-to-skydiving people on it.
Thanks to all who took the time to provide useful answers to my questions here. I will be bookmarking the newbie forum for further Q's so I will not be bothering you experts anymore!
Thought I would post this because from the PMs I received there must be a bunch of us out there who feel intimidated and were afraid to ask about skydiving on this expert forum... c'mon over to the Newbie Forum y'all! Maybe one day I will get a couple hundred jumps and come back to DZ.com!
Thanks, happy diving!

Ok, I will bite...

I will be bookmarking the newbie forum for further Q's so I will not be bothering you experts anymore!

So ya want other newbies answering your newbie questions, so no experts are bothered??? :P BTW - I have yet to find a (good) skydiver who calls themself an expert.;)

I say, keep up the energy levels you have, and no need to "leave" dz.com just because you are looking someplace else too.

Hey,

Dropzone.com is for learning. Forums are usually started with a question. THats what they are here for. IF you got private messages that were rude, those people obviously aren't worth listening to and are to gutless to say what they need to on the forum. Come back to Dz.com!

Cheers,
Travis

Here is a question... would you rather have your questions answered by people that probally don't know the difference between an AAD or an RSL or by Instructors, riggers and other people directly involved in the sport and possibly even the manufactors? ;)

If you have'nt bought the book Jump! yet do it. It will answer all your questions and help you make informed decisions on skydiving. Also go to a dropzone this weekend and do a tandem, 30 minutes after you show up you can be on the plane and about to have the time of your life ;):)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

If you have'nt bought the book Jump! yet do it. It will answer all your questions and help you make informed decisions on skydiving.

I agree about the books...

I read:

Jump!
and
The Skydiver's Handbook

both before my first jump...

While I was still in AFF I read:

The Parachute and It's Pilot
and
Skydive University's Basic Canopy Flight. (I do not recommend that one.)
and
The USPA SIM
and
The owners manual for the Cypres (a must read)
and
The owner's manual for all the containers/mains.

Groundbound, If ya are really hungry for info, grab the book Phree recommended plus download the SIM off of the USPA website.

Not to say ya should not post here, but you will learn a lot from those books and if ya really are interested, the books are fun to read.

BUT, at the same time, Groundbound, DO NOT get overwhelmed by what you read here and in the books... I know it took me longer to make my first jump because I was apprehensive, "could I do what they want me to do?" In fact, it took me four years because after reading on the internet online about skydiving - I opted to go with Paragliding as my "sport" of choice, because skydiving (AFF) seemed overwhelming ("Could I really do a back flip?")... What a mistake, this sport is so much more fun.

I think some of the "experts" as you call them are telling you to stop posting and start jumping because they know so many of your questions will be answered by the professionals who teach this stuff... Also, there is something to be said about not learning the "wrong" way before you learn the "right way". Every DZ has a standard policy on how they teach a specific task. Lots of people on here don't want to answer a question that might conflict with that, because when you jump, they want you to do what your instructors told you to do, not what you read here... Once you have an "A" license, slowly you learn to make some (a lot) of informed decisions on your own after weighing the pros and cons of each option. Like, "throw your handles or not to throw your handles" on a cutaway. If I kept my handles on AFF, I would have violated my school's rules... But some people choose to keep them and would recommend "no harm done" if you do... See what I am saying... Some questions are best left to your instructors until you have at least passed the first few jumps…

The truth is, actually skydiving is easier than thinking about skydiving, especially on the first jump. The instructors assume you know nothing, and make sure you are ready... They don't expect you to do it on your own with them watching, they are doing a lot of the work for the first few jumps (assuming AFF).

In recap, "Don't leave us"... but "Goto a DZ and hang around, and if you want, make a jump."

Dude, I asked a gear question once and got a reply from Bill Booth. Scared the CRAP outa me but it was excellent info;) Pretty reliable source here, just gotta learn that not everyone here knows what theyre talking about, it IS the internet after all. Generally when someone gives bad or uninformed info its corrected pretty quickly by others looking out for our well being. All in all an excellent place for newbies and lowtimers like myself.

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

I didn't send you a PM.

This is the internet. No one knows you because you are never at a dz. Your persona is strictly what you present here.

Here is what I saw.

Everyone has a certain number of important questions before going to skydive. You have asked all those and many more. This gives you the internet appearance of a 13yo kid with a keyboard who just wants to chat about cool stuff.

If you just want to chat, state that. If you are getting answers to prepare for a FJC, people have been making sincere efforts to give you with answers. They understand the seriousness of the sport and will certainly help you.

All the answers to your questions are available with a quick search on this site. If you are really interested in answers, they are available through searches or recommended books.

Your "I'm going to take my marbles and go home" post tends to strengthen the "13yo troll" theory.

You now know enough. Go to a dz and take the FJC. You can start a thread with the results.

Nobody on this site who is worth listening to is bothered by "newbie" questions. Seriously. Just because there isn't a newbie section at dz.com doesn't mean you aren't welcome here.

I agree with indyz, that if you have a question people will answer it. The reason that you may have been told to do a search is because there is so much useful information in past threads that no one post can contain it all. Especially highly charged subjects like RSLs, where people don't have the time to type up there side of the story over and over again.

So when looking for specific information and have done a search and can't fine it, say you did a search and couldn't find the information. It doesn't matter if you have 1 jump or 1,000 no one will think less of you for asking a questions, it's just common curtesy to do a search first.

FYI...I'm on other forums for biking and rock climbing and they are way more touchy about people asking the same questions over topics that have been done before.
Fly it like you stole it!

I've found people here generally very helpful to newbies. However, where i think a "newbie" section would be nice is for newbies to share how amazing it is to have done certain tasks for the first time which are second nature to the oldtimers :)
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

I think that would be nice too. After a certain point your nonskydiving friends just don't want to hear it anymore. And your skydiving friends HAVE heard it, lived it, survived it, and surpassed it. It would be nice to relive those experiences and share the little tid bits of info that we just picked up with those who are at various points in their learning. I love to talk about my experiences, however few, are important in my learning to be a better skydiver.

Muff Brother 3723

Actually post it here. You might think that a lot of us don't care because we don't reply but we still read it and remember things. Also my mentioning it here some times experienced jumpers will be able to see something in your story that concerns them and they can bring it up that way.

For example you might be telling a story about your first off landing and how you determined where you were going to land at about 500 feet. Well someone might ask did you look for other safer alternitive landing areas sooner? And then they can do safety checks on your story to keep you learning and safe. :)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Ok heres something to learn from. I finished AFF like 2 weeks ago. I spent a week in Fla. Did refresher and levels 1,2,and 3 in 2 days. Then did level 4. My first attempt put me in a flat spin, because I dipped my left elbow down when I went to do a PRCP. I became tense as I spun faster and faster. Staying relaxed and calm and focused on being straight helped me not repeat that situation. Relaxing seemed to be the biggest hurdle so far that I had to over come.

Muff Brother 3723

Ok heres something to learn from. I finished AFF like 2 weeks ago. I spent a week in Fla. Did refresher and levels 1,2,and 3 in 2 days. Then did level 4. My first attempt put me in a flat spin, because I dipped my left elbow down when I went to do a PRCP. I became tense as I spun faster and faster. Staying relaxed and calm and focused on being straight helped me not repeat that situation. Relaxing seemed to be the biggest hurdle so far that I had to over come.

I used to have flat spin problems, but they were caused by the rig being too big and slipping to one side or the other while in freefall. :S

My AFF-I would always joke that she would watch me start my turn by twitching my shoulders one way and when I got back around to center I'd twitch them the other way to stop the turn.:D
Fly it like you stole it!

That's interesting that the rig being too big could cause you too spin. For my 3rd attempt at level 4, I switched to a smaller jumpsuit, the one I had on was really big, so I switched to one that was a little more form fitting. Also my JM did some things different on the 3rd attempt which seemed to work!

Muff Brother 3723

a bunch of us out there who feel intimidated and were afraid to ask about skydiving on this expert forum...

C'mon, live on the edge. Ask your question. I dare you. ;)

I'll hang around and if someone on here pummels you because you're new, I'll take your side. B|
Safe swoops
Sangiro

Actually post it here. You might think that a lot of us don't care because we don't reply but we still read it and remember things. :)

all i wanted was to share with someone how amazing it was to do my first freefall!! (SL so I did it on my own :) which weather permitting will be next weekend...
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Well, it seems a lot of the people want a "beer thread" to discuss all their first times...

It could be a newbie talking about their first freefall or an experienced person talking about their first birdman....

Perhaps there is an idea there???

I used to have flat spin problems, but they were caused by the rig being too big and slipping to one side or the other while in freefall. :S

My AFF-I would always joke that she would watch me start my turn by twitching my shoulders one way and when I got back around to center I'd twitch them the other way to stop the turn.:D

That is a useful tool... Need to turn while holding grips in a 4way, and you don't want to use your legs, throw your rig around...

Or, if ya just want to have a fun spinny dive, like at an amusement park, throw your rig to the side...:P

a bunch of us out there who feel intimidated and were afraid to ask about skydiving on this expert forum...

C'mon, live on the edge. Ask your question. I dare you. ;)

I'll hang around and if someone on here pummels you because you're new, I'll take your side. B|

You are a Funny Guy HH:D:D:D

Sangiro, Bigbrother to the Newbies:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?