HydroGuy

Any disadvantages to Birdman Pantz while belly flying?

Probably going to order some Birdman Freefly Pantz...as I'm not really fond of jumpsuits. I know they are great for tracking and back tracking, headdown etc, but do they have any distinct disadvantages in normal belly to earth stuff?

Thanks

Probably going to order some Birdman Freefly Pantz...as I'm not really fond of jumpsuits. I know they are great for tracking and back tracking, headdown etc, but do they have any distinct disadvantages in normal belly to earth stuff?

They will NOT inflate when your belly to earth if your legs are bent slightly at the knees, as you'd do normally while belly flying.
You only have the drag of the material, the same as you would in any freefly pants.

But when you turn to track, you'll SMOKE everyone else with normal freefly pants, garenteed. ;)

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I've thought about getting these too and was wondering could one also use them for FF? Or would you advice getting a separate pair of pants.

They are great for freeflying. ;)

Some people think of them as training wheels when flying head down. :)

Be safe.
Ed

Alls I gotta say is there's something wrong with you Kurt - I looked at your profile. You know how to spell and punctuate. You DO know that's frowned upon around here :S Oh, and the answer to your question is "No." :)
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

Just for clarification, can what's been said be equally applied to Phoenix Fly pants?

I'd have to say no.

Birdman Pantz are just like regular freefly pants but they have slots for inflation, where as PF pants are more something like ski pants that inflate.
Greatly different and I have never seen anyone freefly in PF pants.
But you never know....:P

Be safe.
Ed

I use mine mainly for AFF instruction and have noted only positive points over a jumpsuit. Slow fall is fantastic, around low 100's, and I can get up to the low 140's on my belly. That's good news for me.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Several people with the BASE version have taken them out skydiving with no ill effects. In fact, Manbird used to jump his all the time and was getting some pretty sick times. They will inflate faster than the skydiving version because of the way they are designed with inlets in the inner thigh area and a larger inlet on the shin. The only draw back is if you're a back tracker, the BASE version have no inlets on the back of the leg like the skydiving version do. Also the leg is more tapered on the BASE version and has no excess or bell bottom effect like the skydiving version. Both BASE and skydivng versions can have the cordura knees and butt added on. The BASE version also has a zipper option on the ankle of the pantz for easy donning over shoes.

Personally, I do everything in them, Tandems, Camera work, FF and RW. They make your ass look great hence the term "Smack Booty";)

edite to add: the BASE version also have a higher waist than the skydiving version.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

There's a gal here at home who wears her Pantz for everything. The only disadvantage is in belly RW. It's a bitch to take a grip on her!

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

I'm a bit confused - while on your belly in a typical RW stance, the pants do or do not inflate? If it does, you fell that the inflation helps slow you down?

Hey Kurt. Get with BodyPilot1 about the pantz. I'm getting ready to order me a pair on monday or tuesday. BodyPilot1 has been alot of help with questions and all and sent me all i needed to get the pantz ordered. Send him a PM and he will be glad to help you.

Yep, received Eds email today...just need to find somewhere to get measured up.

I'll let everyone know what I think...even though I don't have squat to compare it against.

I'd just rather jump in the Pantz and long sleeve T or sweatshirt...
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

I notice there is a base and a skydiving version of these pants. Has anyone had any experience using the base pants while skydiving. Any adverse effects?

BASE pantz are fantastic for tandems and AFF where you want more leg power, but just don't like wearing bootie suits. They inflate faster and harder than the freefly version. They work better on tracking dives as well in my opinion. I have both BASE and freefly versions.

I'm not really fond of wearing a parachute, but it's the right tool for the job and the tunnel gets expensive to go every weekend so I have a (a couple) anyway. Suits etc are also good tools.

I think one can fly in about any outfit, I can go in lots of orientations (HD, set, knee) in my RW suit, but if I want to freefly, then I wear my freefly stuff. If I want to do some serious RW, then the booties and grippers come on. If I'm dinking around and will be several body positions then the generic FF coverall comes on. I have an RW suit, FF pants, FF suit, and also sturdy clothes for CrW. It doesn't take long to accumulate the necessary stuff. It helps my wife sews custom FF clothes though.

The suits and the suit features are a big benefit for their target flying styles. Don't sell them short. But still, skill counts most in the end.

If you're interested in "belly flying" then no issues. If you want to be any good at "formation skydiving" and want others to want to play with you in a serious way, then get an RW suit and go play. Ditto for serious FF vs dinking around FF stuff.

If you just don't have the bucks, try a work coverall (pin the sipper in place). Or maybe sweats (find a way to keep the tops from coming untucked). Make sure you know where your handles are with loose stuff like this.

If you're jumping in your blue jeans, for gosh sake empty your pockets.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants