Kimblair13

Something you never want to here at takeoff!

There was a similar incident in the UK a couple of months ago.

Cessna 185 took off and the wheel actually broke off on takeoff. Pilot climbed to 9k I think, jumpers got out, the pilot flew around a bit to lose fuel before flying to a nearby airport because they have a longer runway. Pilot managed to land safely and no one was hurt.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

Uh, shit, a piece of the wheel just fell off!
O
F
F
OFF!B|
Haha.:S
Note: Everyone landed safely.

Damn, that's funny. I'm glad everyone is okay and the plane's not bent. The sound I really hate to hear on takeoff?

The sound of silence coming from up front where the engine is. The quiet lasts about 2 seconds, then all the yelling starts. :o

What I'd be most nervous about is having to ride the plane down in a full load because of weather rolling in or something. You definitely want the landing gear to work in those instances...

I've had to ride the plane down 4 times, twice in fully loaded Casas, once in a King Air and once in a C-182... I usually can't breathe until we actually touch down safely... :S

The one I remember best was during the 100 way state record attempts at Cross Keys, NJ in the late 1990's. There was a line of strong thunderstorms moving in from PA, but we thought we had enough time to get that load off when we took off. At 7000 feet, we're going back down. Upon touchdown, the pilots throw the engines in full reverse, and everybody instantly gets pulled to the front, with seatbelts straining to hold us in place. 5 minutes after everybody had gotten off the planes and into the hangar, the storm hit. Heavy rain, lightning and 30+ mph gusts... It was quite a sight... :o
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

That's a storm you're glad to get out of!

I never really thought about plane issues, I'm jumping out after all; not landing with it.

But then, one nice winter day, I was visiting a well known dropzone in one of their otters. We're on jump run, open door light goes on - no one can open the door:o!! A maintinance type in the front of the plane on a coach jump grabs some things that could substitute for a screwdriver & go to the back of the plane trying to get the sliding door to go up[:/]. No - go. It would only get about 4 inches off the floor:S.

Everyone has to land with the plane:S. The tandems loved the ride, all the fun jumpers were holding their breath on landing[:/]. Everyone stayed in place, the maint guy hopped out the right seat door, grabbed some real tools & went to work. Door fixed (well rigged anyway). Get to jump run, green light, try door, try door:S - finally door opens:D.

I've never enjoyed a skydive or parachute landing so much!:)

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

For me it is 'Is that oil supposed to be spraying all over the windshield like that?'

I can imagine what happens next... "Do me a favor and climb out the door and wipe the oil off the windshield, please?" :o
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

, then all the yelling starts. :o

Who are these people and why do they yell?
I hate yellers, that's the time to be quiet and listen.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

"Whuzzat?"
"Dunno, think something came off the wing"
"Umm, probably nothing"

<3 minutes later>

"Duude. There's...there's like fog comin' outta the wing!"
"Yer shittin' me"
"Look"
"Hm. Yer right. Maybe we make this a hop n' pop, huh?"

Had the conversation above two weeks ago. Pilot forgot to put the cap on the fuel tanks on properly. Think we lost 40 litres from the left tank.

Ok, here's mine. It's 1973 at Z-Hills. We haven't had a fatality since the mid 60's and someone goes in (I only knew him as Giggles, I don't remember or didn't know his real name). It is pretty stunning to me and I decide I need to "get back on the horse" and get on the next L-10E load (like a twin beech, holds 10 jumpers).

It's maybe two hours after the incident and off we go down the runway in the Lockheed, rotate and start climbing. At about 100 ft, there is a very loud BANG and sand and paper and anything else not tied down is flying all over the cabin. I know we are too low to jump so I just hold on tight!

After about a minute or two, the pilot yells back that we lost the emergency hatch above the pilots. The rest of the skydive was uneventful, but I can see the other jumpers faces like it was this morning.... I'll never forget it!

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

, then all the yelling starts. :o

Who are these people and why do they yell?
I hate yellers, that's the time to be quiet and listen.

I agree wholeheartedly....We have several "yellers" and they will be screaming their freakin' heads off when it's time to shut up and listen....
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

There was a similar incident in the UK a couple of months ago.

Cessna 185 took off and the wheel actually broke off on takeoff. Pilot climbed to 9k I think, jumpers got out, the pilot flew around a bit to lose fuel before flying to a nearby airport because they have a longer runway. Pilot managed to land safely and no one was hurt.

I was on this load. We hit an obstruction on the runway and it tore the port wheel and strut off. The plane banked to the left but the pilot reacted quickly and got us in to the air. The pilot (Gordon Cooper) made a quick check of his controls and was satisfied that he could maintain control. There was no panic on board. We made 2 passes at 2,500' when the 5 skydivers on board bailed out, leaving our best wishes with Gordon. As you say, Gordon flew around to burn off fuel and alnded safely.

If I'm ever going to be in a plane crash, I want Gordon to be flying!

True story:

[radio communication between pilot in Twin Bonanza, and DZO on ground]

Pilot: "The jumpers are away, but I just lost an engine."

DZO: "OK, shut it down and feather the prop."

[pause]

Pilot: "I shut it down, but there's nothing out there to feather."

DZO: "WTF?"

[at this point, one of the jumpers who had just landed, walked up to the DZO]

Jumper: "Uh...I'm not sure...but I think I saw a propellor pass us in freefall!"
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Something you never want to hear from the pilot on jumprun:

"OH SHIT!!!"

This was involuntarily uttered by the pilot of a twin turbine as he ran out of forward elevator travel, moments before the a/c stalled and went into a Vmc roll.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.