fmmobley

Wearing gloves and finding the pud

Okay, I'm an extremely low lowbie myself, so I'm not even going to attempt to give you advice on your question. However, I'd like to ask you a couple questions.

Why would wearing gloves protect your hands on a bad landing? Wouldn't a proper PLF with your hands and arms tucked in close to your body be a better choice for hand protection?

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

I wear gloves on 80% of my jumps, and never had any problems finding the pud. Then again, that's not that many jumps...

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

-----
"Why would wearing gloves protect your hands on a bad landing? Wouldn't a proper PLF with your hands and arms tucked in close to your body be a better choice for hand protection?"
------------

You are exactly right.... a properly done PLF would protect the hands. I am assuming that someday I may be dragged or not do a good PLF and need the protection.
... Marion

Buy Reciever Gloves Newmans or Rebook Nike ETC. I was worried about "Feeling" The Hackey and went most of the (first)winter without gloves until I just about gave myself Frostbite. I bought a pair of Rebook Reciever gloves with the Tackified Leather and haven't jumped without them since."Over 200 jumps with them now" These types of gloves where designed for "Feel" I am sure several others will be chiming in telling you the same thing

As for protecting the hands I understand. ;) The Main Landing Are here has stickers for DAYS! It isn't just the landings you have to worry about pulling the stickers out of your lines a couple of times and you'l' be wearing gloves too :ph34r:

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

hey dude,
Any type of form fitting glove which is not too thick will more than likely be suitable (golf glove sort of thickness). Most dropzone will more than likely sell gloves for a decent price. If you are unsure however best to check with an instructor before using any type of glove.

Marc

Warwick University Skydiving Club

yeah, football receivers' tackified gloves (Neumans, Saranac, etc.) or standard batting gloves are great. Just enough protection to keep your hands from freezing, but the palms are very thin and don't prevent you from being able to feel the handles.

Somebody will have to explain this one to me...

with toggles in hand and down at your side your hands still have a pretty good chance of getting scraped with a PLF...

...I've done it... which is why I wear gloves for all my jumps. How else are people doing it that their hands completely avoid contact with the ground? I'm not talking about the obvious putting them out to break the fall either.

I wear regular Franklin batting gloves and haven't had any problems or had anyone tell me they would be a problem.

Jen
Arianna Frances

>Why would wearing gloves protect your hands on a bad landing?

I wear gloves on all my jumps now just to protect my hands. It's not just landings, it's exits, incidental contact in freefall, riser slap on opening etc. For one very simple example - on a recent landing I had to land through 3 feet of bushes and weeds. Turned out to be downwind too, of course. I got whipped by branches and whatnot going by - without gloves and a jumpsuit I would have ended up with about a dozen paper cuts.

As a student, I was never taught to flare with my hands at my sides...I pulled them in towards the middle of my body. This method assures that hands and arms get pulled and tucked in for protection.

For me, gloves are for cold protection. Proper hand protection is critical when it's cold--it's tough to flare when you can't move your fingers! Otherwise, I figure that any scrapes I may get from a bad landing every once in a while are really not that big of a deal. If you're dragging on the ground frequently, then I guess wearing gloves on every jump would make sense...

My husband has contemplated wearing gloves because his hands and fingers frequently get smacked up by his risers when he reaches up to grab them on opening. But he usually doesn't wear gloves because he has trouble getting his hands through his dive loops with gloves on.

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

Somebody will have to explain this one to me...

with toggles in hand and down at your side your hands still have a pretty good chance of getting scraped with a PLF...

...I've done it... which is why I wear gloves for all my jumps. How else are people doing it that their hands completely avoid contact with the ground? I'm not talking about the obvious putting them out to break the fall either.

I wear regular Franklin batting gloves and haven't had any problems or had anyone tell me they would be a problem.

Jen

In the best PF's I've seen or done your hands are actually tucked in a bit which allows you to freely make the roll that dissipates the vertical energy into horizontal travel -

As for gloves in general, I have worn gloves on just about every jump. I can tell you however that in February in Eloy it was too cold at 13K freefall even with the gloves (Neumann tactified) on. My fingers would hurt as the air seemed to cut right through the gloves. What I did was to buy the winterized pair of the Neumann gloves which have some very slim insulation. I was concerned that I would be able to do all things required with these gloves (toggles, risers, handles, etc) but turned out it was no problem at all. Even down to opening the windshield on my Z1 with one gloved-hand.

If you are in the least bit concerned about scraping up your hands, I'd recommend gloves as a safety measure. I wear them summer - winter.

"The helicopter approaches closer than any other to fulfillment
of mankind's ancient dreams of a magic carpet" - Igor Sikorsky

Yah, I completely understand about wearing gloves to avoid scrapes and cuts during other parts of the skydive...but really, in a bad landing, wouldn't a proper PLF with your hands and arms tucked in be your best bet? The equivalent of a dozen paper cuts would be the last thing I'd be worried about on a bad landing. Gloves probably wouldn't protect you from getting broken hands and fingers in a bad landing.

It's just the way the original question was phrased I had issue with. So I asked just to make sure I knew what s/he was asking. :)
_Pm
__

To answer your actual question, I have jumped in everything from thin golf and baseball gloves through to bulky ski gloves. I have always been able to feel my handles. When it gets cold I prefer a good warm hiking glove, as they're a happy medium of having good insulating and wind properties, but without being too bulky.

I'm concerned that you're injuring your hands on PLF's. A well executed PLF should protect your arms and hands. Aim for your crotch.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

>but really, in a bad landing, wouldn't a proper PLF with your
>hands and arms tucked in be your best bet?

Yeah, which is what I did (well, a sliding PLF.) Was fine. I would just rather be fine without a dozen paper cuts than fine with a dozen paper cuts. Keeping your hands in does not always protect them from injury, although it surely helps. Keep in mind that if you fly into a bush, your hands will be one of the first things to hit even if you flare them into the center.

I wear gloves on every jump, even when it's 90 in the shade:

My sweaty palms slip off the bar when I'm hanging outside, and the plane has to keep up the speed because we've got a 1-ton chunck going out the door.

The risers are mad at me and decide to give me a slap.

Somebody's got a loose jumpsuit, flapping in the breeze, and your fingers are getting beat-up trying to take grips.

Your long on the spot, need a touch of rear-risers, and your cold fingers just can keep a grip for more than 10 seconds.

I've never worried about them protecting me on a landing.

Glove of choice are Neuman's tackified

I am fairly new. I want to start wearing gloves to protect my hands when/if I ever land badly. However, I am concerned that wearing gloves will affect my ability to feel the throw out handle.
Any thoughts on this?

On the rare times I wear gloves, I've been using ones with half fingers only so I'd still have the tactile feel. But part of that compromise is that the only full hand gloves I have that would be suitable are 3mm neoprene diving gloves, and I can't imagine liking that for long.

Interesting question,

I wear gloves on every jump, period. Whether it’s 105 or 25 degrees. I do mainly 4 way and holding onto peoples grippers on exit will tear your hands up if it goes bad. Also, I find them great for extra protection and griping ability pulling on risers. I also like the extra griping ability on my cutaway handle too. Protection for a bad landing? Well, I don’t remember the last time I biffed one in, so I can’t say that’s a reason.

I find Newman’s work great and they are sold at most DZ’s. The first time I wore gloves was probably 480 jumps ago and I was a little worried that I might not be able to feel the hacky; so I did a few dozen-practice touches. No problem. I’ve worn gloves on every jump since then.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I wear gloves on all my jumps starting around jump # 150.I've never had any problems with any of the handles (2 cutaways) when wearing them. Doing rw your hands can take a beating from a variety of things. I've used Neumman's, batting and golf types, but recently started using mechanics gloves from Lowe's, $10 a pair. Best bang for the buck so far.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

My husband & I started wearing batting gloves to keep our sweaty hands from slipping off the strut in Summer & as cold protection in the Winter...now we don't want to jump without them! :D You need to do a PLF & protect your hands for a bad landing!

Old age ain't no place for sissies!