kcjumpersgirl

For those who progressed on S/L

Approximately how many jumps did you have before you were able to complete your graduation dive successfully? I know you have to have at least 25, but it seems like it's going to take a bit longer than that for me to be comfortable with all the maneuvers required to do my graduation dive. Did it take you longer than 25 jumps to get your A?

It took me longer than 25 jumps to get my A and I progressed on static line as well. Although I was having problems landing near the DZ, let alone on it. I had some problems with the stuff in the air, but the thing that kept me from getting my A was the 5 jumps needed landing < 20 m from the peas.

It took me 20 to get off the actual static line, and 48 before I was off student status! (this was back in the days when there was more of a distinction between off of student status and getting an A...) We didn't have to do coaching jumps or anything of the sort back then. I was just impressively bad :-)

W

It took me 41. I repeated my 15 second delay about 8 times until I finally got the relax-and-thou-shalt-be-stable thing. The rest of my high number was practicing to make sure I could do the checkout dive.

By the time I was ready for my checkout dive, I was spotting half-caravan loads of fellow solo students at 13k in 55 mph uppers, I'd had so much practice. :D

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I did the required 5 S/L jumps, then 20 progressive freefall jumps and I had my A license. Oh yeah, it took me two years too... I was poor then...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I did an IAD progression which is essentially the same thing.
I got my A license in under 30 jumps although I dont recall
the exact number.

The requirements are a bit stiffer now than when I got mine though
which was in 1993
__

My mighty steed

It took me 14 jumps to get off of student status, but then I didn't take my A license test until I had 40 jumps or something like that. I just didn't care since I didn't see why it mattered. I was treated like an A-license jumper after 14 jumps anyways.

Then again, this was the old method, pre-ISP...I wish the ISP would have been in place and was used then, I would have learned a shitload more and ended up saving money on coaching later down the line.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The A license was only 20 jumps until just recently; the same time they made the C 200 and the D 500.

That's not accurate actually. The A license was 20 FREEFALLS until that change.

I thought it was 25 freefalls, but then I got my A a long time ago. It could have changed several times since then.:)
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

At Z-Hills in '73 it was:

2 Static Lines
3 DRCP Static Lines
3 Hop & Pop
3 5 sec delay
3 10 sec delay
3 20 sec delay
3 30 sec delay
off student status... so 20 jumps for me (Except I was a rotton student and took 9 static lines, so 24 for me).

No one seemed to care about licenses then except style or accuracy jumpers. I never got nor missed having any USPA license. I did demos, night jumps, air show jumps, whatever; no one ever asked for or required a license at that time.

Things have probably changed for the better in that regard...

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519