TXBLKBEAR

African American SkyDiver! What?

Im not sure how to address this so as to be P.C. but Ill give it a shot, and Im actually suprised that non of my conterparts have chimed in here. There is a guy who is a regular at our DZ and well on his way to being a great skydiver. Did all the right things, sold his car, household goods, etc to buy gear and etc. I even was happy to see him at Rantoul this year. then theres another guy who comes in from another DZ who is a wicked-good skydiver w/ instructor and pro ratings. He military and that seems to keep him from coming around but he is a hoot to have a-round. Specially if ya want to be tought lessons in belly flying! :P
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I then avoid these GOOD AMERICANS like the plague they are. AS I get older I become even less tolerant of the intolerant.

[:/] Certainly this was provided as a learning example of more stereotyping. Thanks for putting yourself on the line to make a point. It could be read literally and that wouldn't come across so well.

Frankly some people are just asshats, and if it wasn't race or religion or whatever, then it would be something else. That's why we need to judge individuals by their actions. When we are allowed to that is.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

No worries Laurie. I know you for the good person that you are. It is something I have dealt with my whole life. I take it as an opportunity to try and educate them on how ignorant they really are and how utterly stupid they sound when they say those types of things.

BTW, Jp told me about what happened to yo uat work as a result of those line burns. :D:D:D
AT least you know someone cares! Do we need to write them a note?
Dom

Welcome to the US of A dude!! B|

Lots of sports have recently become more culturally diverse, not just ours. Take hockey for example, strictly 3 kinds of people for many years (USA, Russians, and Canucks :P) JK!! Anyway, lots of black players are in the NHL now, especially over the last 5 years or so. Tiger Woods with golf (even tho he's only half, but who's counting), and let's not forget soccer, which even though it's not really a sport, it's also becoming more diverse.

I love this f*cking country!!! B|B|B|B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Apparently this is not just a black thing. Our DZ outside Vancouver lists 96 non student members and no African-Canadians. This is not that surprising given the racial make-up of our city. What is perplexing, however, is the lack of east-asian and south-asian jumpers. I may be forgetting someone but it seems to me that we have one Chinese, one East Indian, and one mixed race Jappanese American.
Our Tandem base seems fairly reflective of our immigrant heavy society but those who stay tend to be white.
Dunno why.

Here in the south (Oklahoma) you tend to come in contact with quite a few Bigots. But I haven't heard the N word around our DZ. I would definitely would put those saying that word in their place. I work as a civilian at an air force base and two of the six supervisors I've had were black and the best supervisors out of the six (the other four were white).
I distance myself from stupid people who are racist.

BTW, Jp told me about what happened to yo uat work as a result of those line burns.
AT least you know someone cares! Do we need to write them a note?

Yeah, it would be nice to bring a note next time it looks like I've had a questionable weekend activity. :P Write it up and I'll hand carry it back to the hospital on Monday... :S

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

MAN! IF I KNEW THIS POST WAS GOING TO CAUSE SO MUCH CRAP I WOULD HAVE NEVER ASKED! I WAS JUST CURIOUS, NOTHING MORE NOTHING LESS.......BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT THE POST WAS MENT TO BE ABOUT.

You actually expected a thread like this to stay on the topic that you started?:D :S
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

------------------------------------------------------------------------
She has a killer smile...but I'm not sure what's going on with her outfit in that picture!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sharon.... Dahrlin.. WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKIN

That's it! I am the fashion police. I going to have to confiscate those garments NOW!

:|

Move along folks...nothing to see here.

Holy Crud! How'd I miss this thread?! Uh, I can explain that outfit officer! I was uh...at this party...yeah, yeah...and I uh....

Ah crap I can't explain it! :D I thought the powder blue kinda brought out my eyes. :P

PMS #62
Zarza R[red

Ello TXBLKBEAR!

I'm an black skydiver (well actually I'm kinda brownish :P). I've been jumping for about a year and a half now and I've met other african american jumpers. Not sure why there's not more black jumpers but I guess everybody has a different idea of fun, no matter what the race.

I personally can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to atleast try this sport once! :)

PMS #62
Zarza R[red

I think there's a black guy that jumps in San Marcos, but I hear he's an asshole and really obnoxious to boot

ya know, ive heard the same thing.......hes supposed to be a real prick.

next time, stay on top fool, not underneath........

Hey MochaSkyChick,

Thanks for the welcomeB|
I fell out of my chair when I saw your pic. Too Funny!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D I also saw the other one of you lookin stylishB|. You have come a long way. You look great;)

Did you read the whole thing? I have created a monster. Ask one little Question out of curiosity and WOW!!!

It's cool though, I like reading the drama.

Airborne!

Your right about the lackof ethnic diversity in skydiving. Maybe it's a cultural bias, who knows.

I ski during the winter and it 's the same thing. Thousands of people can be on the slopes and most are white. Other races are few and far between.

Dayle

When I started jumping in the early 90's at West Tennessee Skydiving, we had a black female named Nanet Baker who was a news anchor on the local TV station. I think she moved to Saint Louis to get her Law degree. Presently, we have a guy named Robert who just started skydiving who bought his gear before he purchased a car. I think thats great! I have also flown my airplane during demos for the Triple Nickles. http://www.triplenickle.com They are ex-military jumpers. I don't think they have a home DZ other than the military base, but they jump modern sport rigs and do tandems during their reunions.

David

Sharon, what's going on? It's Khari. Nice outfit. ;).

"Social Momentum." Simply stated, there's something to be said for being able to point at someone who looks like you who does something you're interested in. As there are more African American faces involved in the sport it will become "easier" for those who might have been curious but never had the courage to head out to the dz. As we all know in addition to hours upon hours of instruction, a big part of skydiving is social. How many times have you spent ten hours at the dz during which you told more lies than you made jumps. Being around people of different races and ethnicities isn't something new for me but I can't say that about everyone I know. It can make a big difference for some people which ends up turning into another reason to stay away from the sport. Food for thought.
http://www.skydivemonroe.com/picture_gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10013&pos=1
http://www.skydivemonroe.com/picture_gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10013&pos=3
http://www.skydivemonroe.com/picture_gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10013&pos=2