skybytch

Jump a newbie this weekend

Ben on the books at Skydive Atlanta for a little while already.

Here's some stuff Skydive Atlanta is doing this year (first weekend went off spectacularly :)

Skydive Atlanta will be doing "giveback" weekends this year as an opportunity for more experienced flyers to give back to the upcoming freefly community. We're not the worlds best, we're not trying to be, we're just trying to spread the knowledge

The giveback weekend schedule for this year is currently set to have 3 events on the following dates:

April 9/10
July 9/10
September 17/18

Here's the format the weekends are going to follow:
* The coach pays their own slot.
* Each jumper pays their own slot.
* The cost of the coaches pack job is divided amongst all the people in the group the coach is working with. For example, 1 on 1 coaching means the jumper pays 5, but a 5 way with the coach means each jumper pays 1 dollar. Basically we’re trying to keep any additional cost to jumpers down. The pack jobs are necessary so the coach has enough time to debrief the group and go up on a load with another group.
* Groups are going to be divided into 3 tiers. Each tier will have different objectives and skill requirements. Tier 1 will be one on one coaching. Tier 2 will be smaller (2-4 way) freefly dives (normally all in the same orientation). Tier 3 will be multi orientation, multi jumper dives.
* Each tier will have the same coach for the entire day. The next day the coaches will all rotate to a different tier.
* Whenever possible the coach will NOT be a part of the dive. The coaches objective on the dive is get debriefable video whenever possible.
* Event begins at 9am on Saturday and Sunday.
* Everybody is welcome, regardless of skill level.
* Bring your jumping shoes cause even if you're not on rotation with a coach for a load or two, we don't want ya sitting around - get up there and PRACTICE

If you'd like to receive emails about the events (or updates) please PM me with your email address so I can add you to our distribution list.

Please let us know if you plan on attending a camp so we can get a general idea of how many people to expect and plan for.

Performance Designs Factory Team

Did it at 2 separate and different dropzones this weekend.

Saturday at Chambersburg, then Sunday at Delmarva. Jump #'s 27 & 28 (a 3-way & a 5-way) for the newbie at C-Burg on Saturday, and some similar fun at Delmarva on Sunday.

We do this stuff EVERY weekend.
For C.Burg (PA) check out: S&M
For Delmarva (DE) check out: RWConcepts

Look us up anytime! ...We're always happy to jump with you, and WELCOME new faces! B|:)
Blue Skies,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Judy -

Did you ever actually send off for your dead turkeys? I have never actually memorialized mine other than to get Chris to sign them in my logbook for licenses.

Maybe I'll send the USPA still more $ to be an "official" RW jumper.

Brent

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

Did you ever actually send off for your dead turkeys? I have never actually memorialized mine other than to get Chris to sign them in my logbook for licenses.

Nope, didn't feel like spending the money and to have something else to dust around.:S

J
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

It's done all the time at Cross Keys. All you have to do is let someone know you want to do some rw. Ask at manifest.

Steve

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

Okay, another weekend is upon us. The challenge still stands.

While it's great that there are programs at different dz's to get newbies jumping with other people, my challenge is directed more at those who jump at dz's without such programs and those who jump at such dz's but are not a part of the "staff" that work those programs.

You don't have to be a coach, instructor and/or skygod to take the challenge - again my challenge is directed more at those who don't hold ratings. You don't even have to be a "good" skydiver to do this - just be willing to pay for your slot to go have fun with someone new.

Come back on Monday and tell us what you did.

Hi Sky,
"No problem GI!! Been there, still do that!!" It's so much fun to see their eye's get as big as pie plates!! Not to mention that you begin training them by hand and before long you have another hot shot to add to your dive list!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I did a bit of impromptu load organizing this weekend, some eight - twelve ways, at Skydive San Marcos. A newbie jumper named Rick, visiting from Carolina Sky Sports was there with his all of 52 jumps. Had he not told me his jump numbers, I'd never have guessed -- he was flying so well and with such good body position and general awareness it was simply amazing. He told me he'd done two of the Airspeed camps, and wow, I can tell you they work!

We made four jumps on Saturday, including a combo SCR and SCS jump: SCR for Rick, plus an SCS for another newbie wonder, Brad, who completed his 100th jump just the weekend prior. I had the luxury of six other experienced jumpers who wanted to help these guys out, and a video guy that could come down and fly a slot to save the SCR if needed. We set the priority of the jump as 1) Rick's SCR, 2) Brad's SCS, 3) Sequential. Rick was flying so well, we had him lurk his slot with no grips, hoping that maybe we could also get his SCS at the same time. Well, the newbies were there, but an experienced jumper went low, so Rick "only" got his SCR, and the group achieved all three goals, as we scored a 3 point 8way (with plenty of altitude left to enjoy each other's company before breakoff at 5k).

BTW, no beer has been poured -- CSS folks, be sure Rick doesn't miss out on his dues!

But newbie isn't just in jump numbers. I'm still learning to put together larger formations, and my friend and mentor Harry Hopkins was there, selflessly taking a passive role and allowing me to practice the intricacies of herding cats - er, non-team RW types. He was always available if I needed to ask his opinion, or bring up a point I neglected in our dirt dives, but never tried to assert his greater experience. Lesson to self: be like Harry, and allow others the opportunity to grow.

I did a fun two way with Phil, who has 60 jumps, on Saturday. Had him exit poised and I swooped him. Got his first kiss pass, then tried to rodeo him. We were both grinning. B|

Then both Phil and Cameron (another jumper with less than 100 jumps) joined us on a sunset 14 way RW attempt. They both did great.

Also spent some time talking with several of our not-quite-A licensed jumpers. Can't wait to take them up to have some fun too.

And since we're all newbies at some aspect of the sport, I have to thank Collin and Matt for the 4 way coaching and jumps we did Sunday and the offer of more coaching later. :)

Hey Dave sounds like a great time.
If you chat with him again would you mind suggesting that he go to SkyFest and do his ceremony there. We are going to try and break the standing record of 24 maggots on their knees in the peas at Spaceland! Bill Newell (founder of the SCR) may be attending again.

Did you get your shirts?

Thanks Dave!

I'll pass that info along. He's "in town" for a couple of months, but I'll encourage him to do SkyFest if he's still in the area (or even if he's not!). That would be the best place for a Royal SCR pouring, and if the King should attend .... have I told you how bummed I am to have to miss this year? The sacrifices of team training are sometimes heavy indeed!

Yep, got a shirt - thank you very much!

Eagle is a 2-pt 8way. It's one of the "either or" requirements for a C-license. Do you have one yet? If not, we need to take care of that.;)

Judy

nah... just starting to work on the requirements for the B.

Got one jump in at Lake Wales yesterday. Nice place, nice people. Too bad I was pressed for time or i'd have done a couple more.

So Judy & Chris.. and Brent and Kevin and all the other WTS'ers who may lurk here... 93 and counting... gonna hit #100 either this weekend or next... wanna do it with my friends ;)

and then... BEER!
Michael Hart

Although not exactly newbies, they were new to us. Had several jumpers from San Marcos show up who wanted to do "larger" formations. Everyone pitched in and kept them busy with 6, 8-ways on Saturday, then on Sunday we did a 23-way and a 22-way with video. A lot of the freeflyers including Yoshi, his brother, and Anomaly were in the third row of the Texas star and the side-by-side zippers that we turned.

They had a great time!

Blue skies,

Jim