Trae

The most cost effective places to jump.

Most cost effective places to jump.?

Does anyone know where the most cost effective places to jump are these days?

Is it true that club skydiving offers the best value for money even though the aircraft are often smaller and the exit heights lower in general..

Everytime I visit a DZ lately they seem to have put the jump prices up especially just before a big meet.. At the moment jump prices are hovering around the $40+(A$) per skydive mark . This is at a time when petrol at the bowser is costing $1.20(A$) or more per litre ( approx $5.40 gallon)

I’ve found a distinct lack of value for money in the current skydiving experience.
This may be Ok for anyone with a decent income or if you can write off the costs somehow but I’m hearing more and more complaints from run of the mill skydivers that they feel they’re being ripped off .

5 skydives a day for 5 days equals $1000 ie for 25 skydives. A slight drop in exit height or a poorly planned skydive due to rushing to meet a load and the money just seems to disappear. .For the equivalent of 50 skydives you can buy a brand new canopy.
1000 skydives... say for a serious team effort... and jump prices alone will set you back $40 grand. For 4way that’s $100,000 with camera person.

Does anyone know how this related to say 10 years ago?. Or before commercial skydiving replaced sport skydiving?

It seems that at a lot of places the jump prices are highly inflated and often geared towards overseas visitors who may enjoy a beneficial exchange rate.

It also seems that the multiple turbine aircraft being paid off by operators has influenced some fairly major price hikes as well as recent price increases due to the Iraq war and diminishing fuel production, increasing Asian demand etc. etc.

Ok we live in a changing world and all but I can see how this apparent price increase has changed the type of person that takes up and continues in the sport...or should I say business of skydiving.

Meeting students whose only real interest is to get a paying TM job on the islands sort of flavours the type of skydiving being done. With freeflying and increased fall rates further chewing up freefall time there appears to be a tendency for decreased value for money.
(Thank the skygoddess for wingsuit flying which does seem to keep this tendency in check a bit.)

What happens when only the rich or professional skydivers can afford to do a sport like skydiving ?

My guess is skydiving world will become populated by money grabbing people eager to make as much money as they can out of skydiving itself to support their lifestyles at the expense of ‘ordinary ‘skydivers. This also seems to be creating dynamics that encourage only doing the ‘make money things’ rather than spending the time required to ensure safety levels are maintained and true fun atmospheres created.

Now its not only me who feels this way . I’ve seen many jumpers clam up in the company of the pro’s when in private they don’t seem to mind expressing themselves along these lines.

I’ve also heard and talked with a lot of novices just off student status who feel they are ignored at the major centres now that they don’t represent the same degree of money making potential to the staff jumpers. I feel such statements as “they don’t want to talk with me unless I’m paying them” are serious reflections on the current state of our sport. Of course exceptions to this are still fairly common...thankfully .

I’ve also noticed an increase in the thieving of equipment such as altimeters and even goggles and other things such as helmets and cameras. Such thievery used to be a fairly rare thing in my experience. I put down this perceived increase in untrustworthiness to the overall increases in the costs of skydiving. If people feel they are being ripped off some types just react by trying to even things out a bit their own way.

Anyway if you’ve read this far without just thinking I’m a whinging nanny perhaps you too can see such a trend?
Perhaps you know how to negate these perceived tendencies in a fashion conducive to the continued enhancement of our sport. I know how the negative people react to such thoughts
eg “ Stop your whinging and get on with it “
“Stop living in the past and accept how things are “
“If you can’t beat em join em “
etc etc

What these reaction don’t provide is any acceptance that this is a real problem ..at least to the lesss well heeled amongst. I just look around for what I see to be true value for money .
I know it’s out there... its just seems to be getting harder to find.

I recently hired an aircraft for a couple of hours for under $200. It was a 6 place strutless high wing aircraft with retractable U/C ..a real little beauty. This price included a calm highly experienced pilot as well as covering the maintenance and fuel costs of the aircraft. We climbed and dived and did some low key aerobatics as well as zooming around some mountains at low and high levels......and generally had a real ball. The operator was one of those ex-airforce types who had forgotton more than most of us will ever know. He had attracted a crew of highly talented people and is involved in doing up old aircraft as well as maintaining new ones.

2 hours equal 4 loads of 5 jumpers to 10000+ .So that’s 20 skydives for less than $200.($A)
or $10 to 10 grand. These are the 1980's jump prices in the 2005's.

The reason this was a bit on the cheap side was because these guys absolutely loved flying and didn’t mind NOT making money out of doing what they loved. They covered costs plus enough to put a little aside.

The nearest DZ was offering jumps to 10grand out of an aircraft that had obviously seen better days for nearly $40 (A$).Thats a 400% difference.

When I mentioned this to a few skydivers their reaction was “where is that place ? Lets go and live there.”

My feeling exactly.
CU there
Ciao.

dont know where in australia you live.. but i only pay $30 AUS for 10grand at the skydiving club near me.. they fly a cessna and a nomad to 14,000 for $34 if they can get enough people which isnt often these days =( but hopefully that will change once summer comes.

and at the more commercial dropzone here. $32 bucks for jumps to 14,000feet if you buy them in bulks of 10. and thats outta a Turbine XL750

i think it is $34 a jump for single tickets.

Life is Great. Even Greater what we do with it.

We are paying R145.00 a jump at the moment.
JSC is a club and they have not had a rate increase in 2 years.
;)
We operate to 11 000ft agl and fly a PC6 Pilatus Porter.
Weekend DZ with approx 30 loads on a Sat and 20 on a Sunday.
At an exchange rate of R6.80 to $1, it works out to just over $21.

We are probably the most cost effective club in the country at the moment though.

So I guess you should come to Africa. :D

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

in reply to :-$32 bucks for jumps to 14,000feet if you buy them in bulks of 10. and thats outta a Turbine XL750

i think it is $34 a jump for single tickets.

:)
That sounds good ..thanks for letting me know. Nagambie rocks.:P

In reply to "JSC is a club and they have not had a rate increase in 2 years.

At an exchange rate of R6.80 to $1, it works out to just over $21.

So I guess you should come to Africa. "
B|
What a fine idea. I'm planning a trip OS next year so that just might happen. Thank you.

in reply to Sparky's less than helpful reply-
"It seems you are having a hard time finding anything to like about skydiving. Maybe it is time for you to move on and try activities more to your taste."
:S
oh bugger it your reply's not worth this reply

;)My maths was a bit wrong on the 4way +camara dude equation 1000 jumps at $40 a jump =$200,000

Any % savings here would be significant.

Ciao

Hmm I have no Idea how those conversions work but I pay $19.80 American for 14K to 15.5K depending on how the pilot feels. I.E. someone flashes him.

The most terrifying words in the English language are: ‘I'm from the government and I'm here to help’. ~Ronald Reagan

30,000,000 legal firearm owners killed no one yesterday.

Hmm I have no Idea how those conversions work but I pay $19.80 American for 14K to 15.5K depending on how the pilot feels. I.E. someone flashes him.

Many times I have shown the pilot my hairy arse and never have I got extra altitude. [:/]

Well I guess that depends on what kind of pilot you get right............

The most terrifying words in the English language are: ‘I'm from the government and I'm here to help’. ~Ronald Reagan

30,000,000 legal firearm owners killed no one yesterday.

Hmm-
fuel costs are higher - making flying more expensive, as well as everything else
taxes are higher - making everything more expensive
insurance costs are higher - making everything more expensive
labor costs are higher - making everything more expensive

Doesn't take an economist to figure this out.

I was going to say you should just BASE jump, but the cost of food has risen - and in climbing a cliff you will increase your caloric expenditure, thereby requiring a higher amount of higher priced food, which would obviously be unacceptable to you.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

I really want a dzo where I jump to 1) make enough money so that showing up on the weekends will be worth his while, and 2) make enough money so that he can maintain his aircraft adequately.

I'll gladly pay for those things....

Peace~
linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

inreply to Sparky....touche ;):)

in reply to Hydro Guy
'which would obviously be unacceptable to you. '

you're right the price of food sucks ....except for what I grow at home.:o

in reply to all the excellent info about good places to jump where your dollar goes further ...thank you very much ...all noted. Now for some cheapish airfires.

:)Ciao

in reply to Hydro Guy
'which would obviously be unacceptable to you. '

you're right the price of food sucks ....except for what I grow at home.:o

Thats good, because tomatoes went up like 85% last year. 85% in one year...now there is a price hike!
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

How bout comparing today's dollar against what it cost say 10 or 20 years ago (adjusting for inflation), I'll bet it's about even.
I'd also agree with one of the earlier posts - if you're worried that much about it maybe it's time to move on, smile!

"just an old jumper"

Lodi

$15 to 14K
$5 to 3K
$13 to 14K qty 50

Lodi :)
To bad we don't live even close to lodi:(

Interesting or that they can charge those prices and stay in bussiness:S. Are they a full service DZ? Swimming pool, bathrooms, snack bar, Bar, AC packing area, free parking etc.

The cost of fuel is going up, but the cost of borrowing money to purchase a airplane is going:|.

Wonder what will happen to jump prices when the interest rates double:).

Being a DZO is like any other bussiness got make money to stay in bussiness. Jumping is a decretionary expense for some of us.:)

How bout comparing today's dollar against what it cost say 10 or 20 years ago (adjusting for inflation), I'll bet it's about even.

In the US, per http://www.westegg.com/inflation/ , $20 in 2005 is:
$18.01 in 2000
$16.07 in 1995
$13.45 in 1990
$11.27 in 1985
$7.88 in 1980
$5.34 in 1975
$3.97 in 1970
$3.36 in 1965

As a comparison with Trae's numbers, at the DZ I go to, a standard jump ticket is US$18 to 11K (C-182).
In the area, aviation gas/petrol (100LL) iis around US$3.10/gallon, while car gas/petrol is around
US$2.50/gallon. In metric these are AU$23.80 a jump, AU$1.08/liter avgas, AU$0.87/liter mogas.

Eule

Now for some cheapish airfires.

Uh, flying commercial (to get lots of altitude) and then setting the plane on fire (so you have an excuse to
jump out) is probably not cheaper than what you're paying now...
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

I'm noticing a bit of a trend here.

What appear to be older more "well" established jumpers seem inclined to tell me to take up another sport for trying to get value for money ???????:S

Whereas the highly informative replies seem to be from more fresh hearted people.;) Thank you by the way ..very good .

Go Figure:ph34r: