Trae

The most cost effective places to jump.

In reply to:
"I recently hired an aircraft for a couple of hours for under $200. It was a 6 place strutless high wing aircraft with retractable U/C ..a real little beauty. This price included a calm highly experienced pilot as well as covering the maintenance and fuel costs of the aircraft. We climbed and dived and did some low key aerobatics as well as zooming around some mountains at low and high levels......and generally had a real ball. The operator was one of those ex-airforce types who had forgotton more than most of us will ever know. He had attracted a crew of highly talented people and is involved in doing up old aircraft as well as maintaining new ones.

2 hours equal 4 loads of 5 jumpers to 10000+ .So that’s 20 skydives for less than $200."
------------------------------------------------------------
As a pilot and mechanic myself, I think you will find it hard to convince that same company you chartered for a couple hours of "cruising around", to consistently offer that same rate to haul skydivers all day. The reason is that piston powered skydiving aircraft are under tremendously higher mechanical strain, and the fuel consumption rates are MUCH higher than a "sightseeing" flight would be. As you know, jump aircraft are at full throttle conditions all the way to jump altitude, then they descend quickly, and if precautions aren't taken, the engine can "shock cool" resulting in engine damage or failure. Sometimes, even when precautions are taken, shock cooling can, over a period of time, lead to more costly annual inspections and maintenance down time. I'm definately not a DZ owner, but I can see the expense and potential headaches it has caused! I say talk to an experienced DZO, and get the inside track on operating one...you may not be so quick to judge.;)

The Braver the Bird...The Fatter the Cat.

inreply to "Sometimes, even when precautions are taken, shock cooling can, over a period of time, lead to more costly annual inspections and maintenance down time. I'm definately not a DZ owner, but I can see the expense and potential headaches it has caused! I say talk to an experienced DZO, and get the inside track on operating one...you may not be so quick to judge. '

You're right of course. My sightseeing trip (which did involve several climbs and dives from height as well as some mild aerobatics and mounatin swooping )was different to a skydiving ride to height and back down again type strain on the aircraft.

And yes a load of grubby damaging skydivers would convince most owners not to use their deluxe aircraft.
This guy suggested I might like to hire his workhorse with a pilot less experienced than himself who would also pay for a % of the time thereby further decreasing the costs.

This is a case of two different sports working together rather than one capitalising on the other.

From some of the other replies this appears to happen in parts of the world.

On the 'shock cooling' topic I've seen an aircraft throw a cylinder and prop and just manage to do a DS landing before the engine fell out . The guy operating it was seen tightening something with a shifting spanner just before the load took off.
:S
That incident was blamed on a cooling problem . We were glad that aircraft got taken out without killing any skydivers.

Me ? Judge ? I'll leave that to the experts... prehaps:P .

In reply to:
On the 'shock cooling' topic I've seen an aircraft throw a cylinder and prop and just manage to do a DS landing before the engine fell out . The guy operating it was seen tightening something with a shifting spanner just before the load took off.

That incident was blamed on a cooling problem . We were glad that aircraft got taken out without killing any skydivers.
------------------------------------------------------------

Geez, sounds like more than a cooling problem, losing the prop too! As for the shifting spanner, not really the "right tool for the job" on ANY aircraft! Works OK 'round the house though! As for the money issue, I would LOVE to see lift ticket prices go down! While on that kick, jumpsuit prices are REDICULOUS!! But my DZ is great as far as prices and attention to new guys...I know...I'm one of 'em. Check out Skydive The Farm's website, if you get a chance! The monthly re-curring boogie deal is something I will be taking advantage of very soon! And like I said, no problem with attention to the newbies...the DZO has almost 6000 jumps and answers any question I have, as do the other staff!

The Braver the Bird...The Fatter the Cat.

in reply to : Check out Skydive The Farm's website, if you get a chance! The monthly re-curring boogie deal is something I will be taking advantage of very soon! And like I said, no problem with attention to the newbies...the DZO has almost 6000 jumps and answers any question I have, as do the other staff!

Will do sounds like a good place. It makes a BIG difference doing it with da good guys .

Cheers:)

Cheers:)

Trae, you gunna get your complaining butt to Picton at Xmas for the $20 jumps tickets,at the xmas boogie?
I've already bought my flight ticket from Perth.:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Most cost effective places to jump?

The Army, definitely. THEY pay YOU to jump. Of course, you need to be willing to sit in a harness shed for hours on end without eating or drinking or talking or laughing or sleeping, pack tightly into a stripped down cargo plane, and then jump from 800 feet using a 30 year old round parachute while carrying combat gear, possibly into a place where people will shoot at you.

But, it's a cost effective way to get your jumping fix.

Tim

Interesting or that they can charge those prices and stay in bussiness:S. Are they a full service DZ?

they have sweet airplanes that they fly well, that's a good start for a "full service DZ" in my book.

Swimming pool
i've seen some inflatable kiddie pools on occasion.

, bathrooms,
only the finest.

snack bar,
bill and cathy sell snacks

Bar,
bill let's you drink your own beverages as you see fit.

AC packing area,
that's pretty funny.

free parking

free parking? for what? planes? bicycles? trucks?

etc.
they got a whole lot of etc. going on.

try it and see.

kleggo

Squeak can't type. AUD $25 to 13k5 (Picton is 500ft ASL). AUD $50 registration before December 1st gets you in to the party, plus it gets you free beer every night for the duration of the week-long boogie.

You can't call that expensive in Australia :)

Squeak can't type. AUD $25 to 13k5 (Picton is 500ft ASL). AUD $50 registration before December 1st gets you in to the party, plus it gets you free beer every night for the duration of the week-long boogie.

You can't call that expensive in Australia :)

Too right.... 'specially with the free beer thrown in. I'll be there. ;)

nothing to see here

Thanks Bob.Dino

Your replies have been real helpful.

I now know how to get my rig insured at a good rate and it looks like I've got a wingsuit boogie to get to at crissy.

Is that you goin' for a job at Wilton ?B|

Cheers

Is that you goin' for a job at Wilton ?[Cool]

Me? Work in skydiving? I prefer being able to afford to eat ;). See you at Christmas!

If you're based in NSW, tickets at Picton are $29 each if you buy 100. Usual aircraft are a Twin Otter and Skyvan, with an occasional Turbine Beaver (10 seat; fast). Picton is my home.

Warnervale (up near Newcastle) is now operating the Pink Cresco (10 seat turbine). Their ticket prices are $37 each, $32 for 10, or $29 if you buy 100. It's been reopened fairly recently, and I've not been there, so I can't tell you much about the facilities, atmosphere, or people.

Those are the only two turbine DZs that cater to the sport-jumper market in NSW. I can't really speak for QLD, VIC, or WA.

Sounds about right. It's now owned by John McWilliams (who normally flies it) and Sydney Skydivers & has the biggest step you've ever seen on an aircraft.

Johnny Mc has no problems letting you practice exits; he's an FS guy and has been to a few World Meets in 4-way, representing Australia. It's a weird experience getting exit advice from the pilot :P.