crotch

Why Travel? What's the Point?

That logic could also say, "why travel to look at things? A building is a building, a forest is a forest, a bridge is a bridge, etc...

We do it for the experiences of meeting new people, the excitement of being somewhere new.

And for the frequent flier miles. :)

OK. Excuse my idiocy because I'm a WUFFO, but help me with a question. OK. I've seen some people write about travelling to jump, but what's the point? jOK, so I jump out of a plane over Arizona or California or Alaska. But isn't the acceleration due to gravity the same any place you go? Same rush, right? Just stay home and jump and save some money.

Oh yeah, one more question. How come no minorities skydive?

Assuming you live in a place with other people and animals, trees, flowers, things to do, some type of scenery, etc, why would you go on vacation at all? Why would you leave a home that has all that stuff already? :S:P

And minorities. We have them where I jump.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

So the real reason Skydivers travel to other DZ`s... To get Laid of course!!;)

Well, to get laid by other skydivers, anyway. We all know that the only thing worse than getting involved at your home DZ is getting involved with a whuffo. ;)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I won't be sterotyped!!! ;)

I am a certified mutt. My family has been boinking other races for so long, none of us really know what we are anymore.

From my mothers side of the family, there is just about every European race you can think of.

The intersesting side is my Dad's family. Black, German, and American Indian,

I am the future, one day we will all get along. It's funny I can make fun of just about every race out there and not get in trouble for it. My last name is Guzman (step father adopted me) so I can even fool the Peruvians (that is where he is from) and the Mexicans as well.

I was arrested once and had more time then money, so I didn't bail out and stayed in jail all weekend. They didn't know which group to put me with. It was a big concern for them , and me. In the end I told them I had suffered from depression, so they put me in the medical block. At least I had my own, concrete cell for two day. The bad thing (like it wasn't all bad) they wouldn't let me have my shoe laces and they kept falling off me?

In case you are wondering it was for a traffic warrant. Forgot what my court date was! :o[:/]
Dom

If you want to work at some dropzones in SE Florida, it'll help if you speak spanish :)
I think there's actually a pretty big skydiving culture in Brazil and Puerto Rico. My AFF instructors where from PR and my jumpsuit was made in Brazil. Dunno why you don't see more african american jumpers though.

Cool. By certain standards you can claim brotha-ness or so I've heard (that one drop in the bucket thing or whatever). I'm generic white myself. Dad's side mostly German and Mom's probably mostly British.

I know an Afro-Deutch guy in Germany. Cool guy.

in reply 2 "Oh yeah, one more question. How come no minorities skydive? "

A lot of minorities are disadvanged.

Unless you come from a disadvantaged background you just don't get it 'cause you have no direct experience. You'd be just looking in even if you're being helpful.

When a family is struggling to pay the rent and put food on the table it doesn't look kindly on one of its members spending hard to come by money on something as frivolous as skydiving.

Skydiving as a money suck is right up there with drug abuse , gambling and other financial black holes.

Skydiving like private plane ownership is something that requires large amounts of disposable cash .

A lot of minorities just don't have the cash.

There's a DZ in the Phillipines where the skydivers may only do one or two skydives a year. This is because it takes them a year to save up for their one jump. they're always on the lok out for second hand gear as their gear is old and well worn.

Affluent westerners are often totally blind to the hardship that exists in our world . Rich Jet-setting skydivers are amoungst the most priveleged people on this planet and have often come into their funds through inheritance or by dubious means....some have even had to work for their money.

Minorities? skydiving?....most of them just want a chance to do what they want. Skydiving doesn't figure prominently in their dreams ... feeding their kids and looking after their parents does.

:)

But isn't the acceleration due to gravity the same any place you go?

Actually, it varies a little bit. The Earth isn't a homogenous ball of rock and it also isn't a perfect sphere.
Gravity is a bit higher at the poles and a bit lower at the equator. It also varies with altitude, but this is
a fairly small effect. Having said that, I don't know of any dropzone that advertises "Come to Skydive
Foobar! 9.82 m/s**2 guaranteed!"

How come no minorities skydive?

The common answers (financial and cultural) have already been given. It might also be interesting to
look at the proportion of minorities in the general population.
http://www.census.gov/population/cen2000/phc-t1/tab01.txt has some data from the 2000
US census. I'm going to use the "18 and over" chart, since nearly all skydivers are at least that old.
If the population of skydivers exactly mirrored the US population, then for people that consider
themselves to be of one race:

7 white people would jump for every black person that jumps.
21 white people would jump for every Asian person that jumps.
97 white people would jump for every Indian that jumps.

Based on that, if you go to a dropzone with a relatively low number of jumpers, it may well appear that
there aren't any minorities that jump.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

This might be a little unknown fact but the population of Eire (the Republic of Ireland) is only 3.7 million .. so not that many really. There might be a few more out there who weren't born in Ireland but qualify for Irish passports but I imagine that would just tip us over the 4 million mark.

What's the standard for a passport?

Citizenship. How to become a citizen:

Anyone born in Ireland is entiled to Irish citizenship if one of their parents was an Irish citizen at the time of their birth. Anyone born abroad is also entitled to Irish citizenship if one of their parents was born in Ireland.

A child born in Ireland after 01 January 2005, neither of whose parents was an Irish citizen, will not be an Irish citizen unless one of the parents was lawfully resident in Ireland for at least three out of the four years preceding the child's birth.

...snip...

A person born abroad to a parent who, although not born in Ireland, was otherwise an Irish citizen at the time of the person’s birth, can become an Irish citizen by applying for Foreign Births Registration, either directly to the Consular Section of the Department of Foreign Affairs or to an Irish Diplomatic or Consular Mission which can give details of the requirements and procedures.

Certain people may be entitled to Irish citizenship by marriage (post-nuptial citizenship). Applications for post-nuptial citizenship are considered by the Department of Justice but Irish Embassies or Consulates can give you information on the requirements and procedures.

So Irish-American != Irish.

But isn't the acceleration due to gravity the same any place you go?

Technically, no. The intensity of gravity varies with distance from the center of the planet. So technically the effects of gravity at a sea level DZ and a high altitude dz are different, though the difference is effectively negligible and pretty much negated by the differences in air density.

We're out here, you just have to look for us.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."