Scoop

Do you warm up before jumping?

Just read another jumpers post about getting cramp and made me realise. Ive never seen anyone warm up for a skydive. Now to me, it is quite athletic and no matter what discipline you do its not an extremely natural body position to adopt.

Wonderining how many of you do warm. I suspect likely to get more YESs from people that compete.

Could reduce some silly injuries. Like me hurting my ankle a lil bit in botched landing other day, and also make you better skydiver by increasing your flexibility. What do you think or already do?

Nope. Sometimes wish I had though. When I'm hanging over a student canopy in deep brakes for the entire canopy ride my arms will sometimes let me know they would have appreciated a little "advance warning"
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

Not in the last 21 years..

I think that everyone should have a degree of residial flexibility. If one performs a task that will take them outside of those limits prior to them being warm, then perhaps a warm-up is required, but otherwise not.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I do a stretching routine in the morning and try to combine it with some breathing exercises...some elements of yoga, but mostly just a thorough stretching from head to toes. I'm among those who pay a lot of attention to the psychological aspect of skydiving and while doing this in the morning definitely helps my physical performance, it's also a good way of putting myself into an optimum mood for jumping.

Yes, I try and warm up before the first jump of the day and if I have a break and then jump a few hours later, I do the same again.

I tend to try and do it somewhere out of the way (I used to always get comments) which is why you're probably not seeing people do it. It only takes 5 minutes and helps me to relax too.

Last time I jumped, I was on a short call allofasudden and didn't warm up, man my body hurt for a week afterwards!

:S
www.sneale-create.com

I do.

Partly to get my back and shoulders comfortable with arching and dearching, but mostly because it helps me clear my mind for the task at hand. I've always warmed up/stretched before my other sports/martial arts/whatnots, so it's just what I do. I have no idea if it has any actual skydiving benefit physically, but mentally for sure.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I stretch a lot for the tunnel. If I don't, I notice, esp. the next day :D It's always a good idea to stretch before tunnel sessions and camps to avoid injury.

Advil the same night and next morning along with icy hot patches also do wonders ;)
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Our 4 way team spent 30 minutes to a hour warming up and stretching every morning... Our coach came from the Airspeed/Dan B.C. school of thought, and he would not let us jump until we did...

I am going to an airspeed camp next week, and this is what their website says:

The coach will run you through a normal Airspeed training day. From our group stretch in the morning to jump preparation, the jump it-self and then debrief as done by World Champions. You will be fully immersed in skydiving and as a result see your skydiving improve exponentially.

But when I am fun jumping, I do about 10 minutes, if that, of stretching... I probably should do more...

I think in the team, it was a good tool... At least for me, it was a good "get focus" routine... It takes some time for you to put away your "life" and put focus back on the team.... This is a good team bonding time...

When you get to be an old fart, you will find yourself doing pre-jump stretching more and more often....hell, I have to stretch just to get out of bed....:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I share the same thoughts as Popj.

I have to stretch just to get out of bed in the morning and struggle to get to the shower otherwise (years of football and lacrosse).

Stretching is great for your body whether or not you are going to jump, but when jumping ( or anything physical) yuor body will perform better with warmup and stretching than it will without.

To echo other thoughts: I plug into headphones when I stretch because it helps to clear my mind and focus on whatever is next ( yes I will do this during the course of a stressful day as an aside to life -- a break physically and mentally ).

Stretching is good/
-
-
"Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical."