woodencyclone

How much is sky diving gear?

About $2500 for used equipment plus a jumpsuit/ helmet/ Altimeter ($500 plus).

$5000 plus for new equipment.

Student training can run from $1500 to $2000. You would be paying this cost first using the DZ's student gear. Most people buy their personal equipment after student training is completed.

After that it's $15 to $20 per jump.B|

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Im new to the sport and im just trying to find out what is the average price for gear, I hear sky diving is somewhat exspensive but then I hear that for some its not too bad? I dunno and I dont know where to look for gear at.

I got my first used rig for 1900 complete. Complete includes container, main, reserve, and a two year old cypres. But then, I got a really good deal.

Other stuff:

Helmet -protec: $40
goggles - $18
jumpsuit - $270
Altimeter - $150

Okay, I am going to stop now cause I am getting depressed, especially when I realize I have bought so much more since. [:/]:D
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Don't feel too bad. I've only spent $25,000 jumping the last 5.5 years. :D:DB|

You can buy really old barely airworthy gear for $600 to all the way to a new everything for more then $7000. What you have to spend will determine exatcly what you can get. An average rig is $2500-3000 with out an AAD or $3500-4000 with a fairly new AAD. I'm still on my first container, reserve and AAD. I've swapped out mains a few times to get more what I want so gear can last quite a while if taken care of. My rig is up to about 1025 jumps now and its just starting to show a bit of wear.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Well, I went the new route and could throw some prices at you... scary prices. But I'd suggest as people suggested going the used route, but if you were to go new...

Rig; Mirage G4 with all the options, Cypres 2, Sabre 2 190, PD 176 reserve- $6300

New Jumpsuit- $230
Goggles- $10
Helmet$ 190
Pro Dytter $110
Neptune $250
Altimaster 2: $150

plus I (stupidly) lost a hemet and a dytter on a dive by forgetting the chin strap...

Then you throw in the cost of training this year, jumps, and of course beer...

Well, I guess I don't want to think of it anymore.

Go used, and piece the rest together slow, it hurts less that way.

Where could a person find some good reviews about equipment?

As someone already said, this website has a gear review section. Take everything written there (and here!) with a big grain of salt. Ask five skydivers what the "best" gear is and they'll each tell you that it's what they own - and it probably is the "best" for them. That doesn't mean it's going to be the best for you. Only you can determine that.

You may find some of the articles here helpful.

Spend time at the DZ even if you aren't jumping. Let people know you're a sponge and you'll likely get more information and opinions than you can soak up.

Man, do not even get me started when I add it all up. I have since bought a new container, main, and reserve as well well a pro-track and various other items Even not including gas to get to the DZ and food, it is outrageous for just my 2 and a half years.

And totally worth it.:)
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

That's all? I just did the math for insurance reasons, and I'm at about $21,000 in 2.5 years. [:/]

new rig
2 jumpsuits
helmet, alitmeters, audibles
2 wingsuits
and now a camera helmet and camcorder
+500 jumps!
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Hmmm, since January 31st, 2005

log book
6 AFF levels
USPA membership
Bonehead helmet
Alti 3
Protrack
goggles
gloves
5 RW coach jumps
Packing class
A exam fee
A license fee
Canopy Control Class
Camera flyer to record and give me a DVD of my 100th
Bunch of freefly coach jumps
Bomber Flite Suit
Vector 3 container
PD reserve
Cypres 2
water training
B exam fee
B license fee
another set of goggles
190 lift tickets
3/4 of my Safire 2 main paid
various tunnel sessions
beer for my instrctors and a few others who gave me cool jumps
probably a $1000 in premium gas to/from the DZ
$900 to the Square1 demp program

....and more packjobs than I will EVER admit to:P

I actually made this chronological list for something the other day.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Im new to the sport and im just trying to find out what is the average price for gear, I hear sky diving is somewhat exspensive but then I hear that for some its not too bad? I dunno and I dont know where to look for gear at.

I got my first used rig for 1900 complete. Complete includes container, main, reserve, and a two year old cypres. But then, I got a really good deal.

Other stuff:

Helmet -protec: $40
goggles - $18
jumpsuit - $270
Altimeter - $150

Okay, I am going to stop now cause I am getting depressed, especially when I realize I have bought so much more since. [:/]:D

You can get a pink protec for 20... lol
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

mmmmm - My wife would shit if she saw the math -

Used rig, beer, one new container, three jumpsuits, two altimeters, beer, two audibles, four helmets, several pairs of gloves, 425 jumps, several pair of goggles, beer, two logbooks, airfare, tunnel time at Orlando, beer, camping, hotel, t-shirts, USPA membership, rating fees, entry fees, medical bills, beer, lost wages due to time off work (leaving early on nice days and injury-related-), repacks, beer, canopy repairs, rig repair, jumpsuit repair, gas to and from the DZ, beer, and so on -

About $20,000.00 in four years or so -

Could have paid for a new truck - Oh -wait, on top of all that I DID buy a new truck!

I'm glad she doesn't lurk here!

Easy Does It

Man, I feel old now! I got my first rig for $350! (and, that seemed like an awful lot to me back then) Used square main and round reserve plus the harness and container. Since I wasn't a student anymore I didn't have to buy an AAD. But then, I got a really good deal.;)

To the original poster:

Just this year I put together a complete rig from the classifieds here on DZ.com

I bought a new container, reserve, and a slightly used main (35 jumps) for a total of $1600. I bought all items seperately. The container was $800 and the main and reserve were $400 each. The container and reserve had never been jumped.

Full retail price would have been around $4200

About $10,500 Canadian for this year. [:/]

Including my Florida trip (windtunnel and Deaf World Record).

I think future years will be more like ~$3-$4K from now on for at least 2006 and 2007, now that I am licensed, have my own gear.

Of course, there's going to be a bump or two when I get to a Sabre2 150/135 possibly (or similiar) paid partially for by the sale of my Sabre 170 but only when I'm able to do everything on billyvon/Germain/Scott Miller downsize checklists, at least as far as my 170 is safely able to. Oh, and maybe a few travelling boogies. And eventually Canadian Formation Record. That's gonna cost me some extra penny.