bozo

HURRY UP !

I dont usually post here, but as a longtime former instructor, this needs said.
I was jumping at our local DZ yesterday....sitting in the back of the Caravan......engine running, plane starting to move, when two youngsters came running up to the door with their gear on.....sort of.
I opened the door and they crawled in. The one kid sat down in front of me and buckled his seatbelt belt, and said..."boy we just barely made it".
After takeoff we got all settled and comfortable and I began looking this kids gear over.......cheststrap misrouted......legstraps hanging a foot out, untucked. flaps on the backpack flapping. I asked the kid how many jumps he had and was that his gear....."no its rental gear and I have 20 jumps.
You newbies need to understand.....no jump is worth your life.....dont let someone rush you to a plane until youre ready. Make sure your gear is correctly adjusted and straps are stowed.
With the help of the girl behind him we got the kid all squared away and he had a great jump.
He thanked me as we were walking back from the peas, for giving a shit. I do.

bozo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Reminds me of a PFF jump yesterday.
Manifest only gave us a 15 minute warning, so I had to rush ground school.
We also had to rush checking and donning our equipment.
Since the student had demonstrated a good understanding of gear checks on the previous dive, I left him to dress himself while I ran to get my gear.
We go to the boarding area as the King Air started up.
As I take one more look over my student's gear, I notice that the AAD is set for 3,000' above our DZ. As I start fumbling for a coin to re-set his AAD, several people started yelling at me.
I said: "One thing at a time, One thing at a time." as I reset his AAD and finished looking over his gear.

Fortunately, the student was mature enough not to be fazed by this confusion and achieved all of his learning objectives on the skydive.
He even looked graceful on video!

It turns out that the rig had been shipped from a DZ at a higher elevation (Alberta) the week before.
My stubborn refusal to be distracted during a gear check prevented an accidental AAD fire.

In conclusion: it does not matter how many people try to distract you during a gear check ... finish checking your gear before boarding the airplane.

several people started yelling at me.

Sometimes skydivers are their own enemy. While I can clearly understand people yelling for others to hurry up to load a plane while it is sitting there turning on the ground, more often than not, I have witnessed people yelling at others to hurry up while it was clearly evident that they were trying to work thorough an issue at the moment.

There is a clear difference between yelling at those who are trying to do back ups,etc that keep a fully loaded plane sitting on the ground while turning and those who are either trying to get in or out of an aircraft as fast as they can. Sometimes there are circumstances, like the one you described, that need to be attended to. Yelling at them isn't going to rectify the situation any quicker. If people would realize this and have a little bit more patients and think before opening their mouths and yelling at others, perhaps there might be one less accident or mishap in the future.If you're not part of the solution don't be part of the problem.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

yes thank you for giving a shit ;) if anyone sees something out of place on a rig im wearing id want them to let me know and if they felt like yelling at me to make it clear not to forget it next time then so be it. :D:S at least i will remember in the future.:P

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

People get on the plane dressed like that because they don't consider all the possibilities. If the plane starts to have problems at 2,500 ft, people will not have time to do a gear check.

People should be ready to jump when they board a plane.
They should not have the attitude that they will finish putting on gear later.

...several people started yelling at me.

I really hate that shit. From newer jumpers it's plain ignorance, and from sky gods it's inexcusable.

I said: "One thing at a time, One thing at a time." as I reset his AAD and finished looking over his gear.

I commend you for not just telling them to shut the fuck up. Would have been perfectly justified.

I got rushed to get on a hot load once.
The pressure I got was immense.
I was told "if you dont make it on the load, you will pay for the slot"
I finished packing and got on board.

When I was in Free fall I couldnt remeber if I had cocked my Pilot chute. My own Fault I know.

Luckily I had cocked it, but due to the rushing I had forgotten if I had or not.

My lesson learnt. Fuck the guy who is pressurising you to get on the lift.

Your life is more important than another skydive.
After it could be the last.

www.myspace.com/durtymac

First jump off of AFF I got to the DZ before weather, and was feeling rushed by others saying "If you dont gear up now youll be on weather hold hurry hurry" I did, I turned the ADD on and threw the rig on.... everyone else had already loaded and the plane was ready to take off.... there were no stairs so I had a hard time getting in the king air and as I was bucking the seatbelt I went to go do a handles check and instead of a handle I felt a bridal.... I grabbed the pilot chute and yelled to close the door.... I was freaked, and ever since then I decided I get on a plane on my terms, no one will ever rush me again, even if I had to lose my jump ticket ....
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

...People should be ready to jump when they board a plane.
They should not have the attitude that they will finish putting on gear later.

This should go for everyone...big jump numbers included. Complacency can kill.

A bit drastic, but true.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I commend you for not just telling them to shut the fuck up. Would have been perfectly justified.

I wish I had a buck for everytime I have done just that.....to people yelling to hurry up or when Im spotting and that GREEN light comes on.
Shut the fuck up.....some of us are spotting back here hahahaha

bozo

bozo

Nothing bothers me more as an Instructor, to see "Experienced Jumper/s" rush to jump on the plane with leg straps not tightened properly, chest strap not done at all, and helmet and goggles on the floor.
It is hard to instill good habits with students when they see this type of activity.
Lesson Learned: Long story short, Cessna 206 at 3-4000 ft. threw a rod creating a total engine out. The pilot yelled get out. I was the closest to the door and before I was able to get my bearings, I was in freefall due to the other five jumpers pushing me out. Helmet and goggles in one hand. one look at the altimeter and a short clearing track and a deployment. All landed safely. This was nearly ten years ago, Since, I have been ready to exit the aircraft before I even get in it. This is a good habit and one we should encourage all skydivers to adhere to. Nothing is worse than reaching for a pilot chute knowing that a leg strap is loose or questioning wether or not you fastened your chest strap. Remember Murphy is always jumping with us..

To Bozo

Thanks for being alert and being safety conscious, as a newbie myself it is nice to know that others are looking out for us!! I will not get on a plane unless I have had my gear checked at least twice on the ground, and will not jump unless someone checks me out in the plane at altitude. Skydiving is way fun, but not worth dying for, especially for not taking the time for a gear check prior to getting on the plane.

Blue Skies and Stand-up Landings!!!!!!

Reminds me of a PFF jump yesterday.
Manifest only gave us a 15 minute warning, so I had to rush ground school.
We also had to rush checking and donning our equipment.

Rob, I've been a manifester, and she should have never rushed you. Next time tell her to bump you back a load. What kind of example are you setting for your student to rush and get your gear on?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Even though I still have low jump numbers I always look over everyone's gear when we are waiting for a plane. When I had about 50 jumps we were waiting for the plane and I was talking to someone (fairly experience about 300 to 400 jumps) and I noticed they had misrouted their chest strap. I promptly told them and they fixed it with a stunned look on their face.

I got rushed to get on a hot load once.
The pressure I got was immense.
I was told "if you dont make it on the load, you will pay for the slot"

I dont want to pick on you since most of us have been in the same situation and know how it feels, but folks, rememeber: its only $20-$25...
Remster

To Bozo

Thanks for being alert and being safety conscious, as a newbie myself it is nice to know that others are looking out for us!!

Its not just me. Look around the plane next time you go up, you will see lots of folks giving your gear the once over. No one wants to see someone hurt or worse.

bozo

bozo

I suggest not manifesting until you are ready to skydive. When you go to the manifest window and they say it's a 10 min call, ask yourself if you can be ready. If not, get on the next load.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I suggest not manifesting until you are ready to skydive. When you go to the manifest window and they say it's a 10 min call, ask yourself if you can be ready. If not, get on the next load.

That's always been my policy. I try not to rush myself in packing or getting geared up - I don't like starting a skydive feeling like something's possibly out of place.

Of course, the calls are often so "generous" at my home DZ that I end up on loads that I turned down anyway because I find myself packed and ready to go while the tandems are still getting geared up.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Even though I still have low jump numbers I always look over everyone's gear

Please keep doing that. Mostly everybody does that; but when I catch a relative newbie discreetly giving my chest strap, etc. a quick eyeball, I sometimes say "Thanks", just to reinforce that we should always do that for each other, and that it's appreciated.

I don't know how much you guys know about jumping in the UK but we have a flight line check system in place which stops people getting on the plane without having their gear on and fully adjusted. Everyone has to have this check and are not allowed to board the plane without it. Licenced jumpers can check each other but only instructors can check students or tandem's. These flight line checks are part of the B certificate requirements here.

Also at the DZ where I jump we are given regular count downs from an intial 20 minute call and double manifesting is not generally allowed. Most of the time the load is ready well before the plane leaves, although there are still occasions where there are one or two stragglers who are late getting on. Even if they are late their gear would have been checked before they get to the plane.

I don't know how much you guys know about jumping in the UK but we have a flight line check system in place which stops people getting on the plane without having their gear on and fully adjusted. Everyone has to have this check and are not allowed to board the plane without it. Licenced jumpers can check each other but only instructors can check students or tandem's. These flight line checks are part of the B certificate requirements here.

Also at the DZ where I jump we are given regular count downs from an intial 20 minute call and double manifesting is not generally allowed. Most of the time the load is ready well before the plane leaves, although there are still occasions where there are one or two stragglers who are late getting on. Even if they are late their gear would have been checked before they get to the plane.

yeah, its cool that we get checked out by an instructor at the manifest table, i don't think Dave Hickling would allow anybody not to be fully checked :)
I'm always looking at other peoples kit, i don't think i'd say anything to a long time jumper though, i'd go and tell Milko or any of the other instructors if i saw something that concerned me, get them to go and tell the experienced person

To Bozo

Thanks for being alert and being safety conscious, as a newbie myself it is nice to know that others are looking out for us!!

Its not just me. Look around the plane next time you go up, you will see lots of folks giving your gear the once over. No one wants to see someone hurt or worse.

bozo

Jim,

Good call and a good attitude.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals