MagicGuy

"One Last Hit" Article

A friend of mine pointed out to me an issue of the High Times Magazine, dedicated to pot smokers, a picture of a skydiver taking his last hit off of a joint before making his skydive.

Obviously, this could be a very dangerous situation. I was just curious to hear some opinions of others regarding this. I expect to hear a lot of negative opinions, but look forward to reading them all.

Blue Skies...

A friend of mine pointed out to me an issue of the High Times Magazine, dedicated to pot smokers, a picture of a skydiver taking his last hit off of a joint before making his skydive.

Obviously, this could be a very dangerous situation. I was just curious to hear some opinions of others regarding this. I expect to hear a lot of negative opinions, but look forward to reading them all.

Blue Skies...

I have nothing against marihuana, but have it on good authority that it will cause your babies to be born naked. Not only that, but a study at a Major University concluded that 100% of people who smoke pot will die.

In Europe, it is common for people to roll their own cigarettes, which only look like reefers. Thus, I am quite sure that the picture to which you refer is simply someone smoking good old tobacco. I do not believe that anyone is actually irresponsible enough to drink or take drugs before parachute jumping, since that would be bad.

Blue skies, red eyes,

Winsor

You mean aside from the fact, "One Last Hit" is overly dramatic?

Time changes attitudes in this sport and today the DZ is full of the "Just Say No" generation. It was a different story years ago. Once at Elsinore there was a visiting Instructor, with his own students who was just using our planes one day, and one of his students rode a bag lock in.

When I went to check him I was all alone and he was dead. I saw one of his shoes had come off and there was a baggie of pot sticking out of his sock. I did what I did at that point and that's all I'll say about that . . . In those days we kept our dirty laundry more in-house. Also the pot then, when a lid of Mexican Leaf was 10 bucks, wasn't anywhere near as potent as buds are now.

Drugs still exists in skydiving (just like in the general society) but more so on the ground than in the air. It's only more underground than it used to be. I also know we need to think about the other guy more than ever nowadays, as it was harder to kill another innocent skydiver, observer, or wuffo when you were landing a Strato Cloud.

Now watch how hysterical everyone gets . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Well, the magazine was High Times which is focused completely on marijuana and everything surrounding it. I doubt the athlete submitted the photo if he was simply smoking a cigarette.

Blue skies, red eyes, very clever B| I did a search and saw that there were a lot of past posts on marijuana and its use among skydivers. For good reason, most don't condone it's use for at least a day before a skydive.

The incident you cite may or may not be real, but I can absolutely, positively say that the drug scene in skydiving is vastly diminished from what it was 25-30 years ago.

People in all walks of life have been "tuning up" inappropriately since the dawn of recreational chemistry (alcohol and mushrooms, about 1 million years BC). Don't be surprised, or even especially disappointed, to find it is still the case. It isn't any worse a thing to do in skydiving than it is in many, many other endeavors, from driving, to lifeguarding, to operating heavy equipment, to babysitting for the neighbors.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I can absolutely, positively say that the drug scene in skydiving is vastly diminished from what it was 25-30 years ago

Maybe we're just not invited any more because we're old :P

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Time changes attitudes in this sport and today the DZ is full of the "Just Say No" generation.

Yeah... Nancy Reagan told me just what to do. (My DOM is about 1973.) It worked, too, for a little
while. Somewhere around late junior high, all of the anti-drug stuff started working backwards. "If the
adults are telling me this stuff is so bad, that must mean it's really great!" So I fired it up a few times.
I concluded that it was good, but that it was mostly similar to drinking booze, and you don't get busted
for having booze in your trunk. I don't smoke now, but I don't really care what other people do in their
own house.

I know of a couple of skydivers that do smoke and for them it's strictly an after-the-beer-light-Sunday
kind of thing. I've _heard_ stories of people lighting up before a load (or _on_ the load) but as far as I
know they're just stories. I don't know that I'd want to get on a load with somebody that was high (or
drunk, or whatever), but if they wanted to go by themselves or with a group of people that agreed to
it I'd tell them to go for it.

One thing I have noticed is that it seems like there are a lot more skydivers that smoke (regular tobacco
cigarettes, not weed) than there are in the general population.

Also the pot then, when a lid of Mexican Leaf was 10 bucks, wasn't anywhere near as potent as
buds are now.

I'd like to hear a stoner from back in the day comment on this. (Maybe I just did.) It doesn't seem
unreasonable that the product would improve with time, but it also sounds very much like something
the Man would say to try to stop people from trying it. I've even seen anti-drug ads targeted at
parents that say things like this - "even though you tried it in high school, the stuff your kids are
getting is way more powerful!" The guy that first hooked me up got me thinking this way about the
War On Drugs That Aren't Sold By Large Corporations - he pointed out that the police love to raid
some small house and announce that they found eighteen million dollars worth of pot, when that
much pot (even at retail) wouldn't fit in five houses that size.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

I'd like to hear a stoner from back in the day comment on this. (Maybe I just did.) It doesn't seem
unreasonable that the product would improve with time, ...

I admit to nothing...but it's true...while there was some good stuff out back then, some of the newer varieties blow away the older ones (no pun intended).

And yes, retail prices have gone WAY up and the cops use the highest (again, no pun) retail estimation that they can reasonably get away with.

As an aside, I think that you shold leave it at home and not even bring it to the DZ...you saw what kind of shit the innocents at Chicago had to go through...
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I haven't been around the skydiving scene to know the real truth behind how much smoking goes on. Hopefully I just haven't found it yet :)
Back on topic though, I wouldn't smoke whilst jumping, nor would I like to be on a load where people have been smoking.

It impairs your decision making abilities and I am not sure what it does to your responce time, but I doubt it's good.

I would have no problem at all with people smoking at the DZ as long as the beer light is on.

BOOM Headshot

One thing I have noticed is that it seems like there are a lot more skydivers that smoke (regular tobacco
cigarettes, not weed) than there are in the general population.

I noticed that too and concluded that it's probably because you have all this time to kill and nothing else to do while waiting for weather or to get on a load..

Yeah - every time I quit smoking in the UK, I go to Lillo for a holiday and start again. And the Spanish cigarettes... just that much more evil.

Hilarious.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I can absolutely, positively say that the drug scene in skydiving is vastly diminished from what it was 25-30 years ago

Maybe we're just not invited any more because we're old :P

Wendy W.

I thought it was only us old guys that still smoked;)
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

I do smoke on occasion, but the natural high that you get while jumping is plenty enough for me. There are certain activities that I think smoking do enhance, but skydiving is one of those activites that I would never even think about trying while under the influence.

Here Grasshopper...snatch the pebble from my hand!

I've _heard_ stories of people lighting up before a load (or _on_ the load) but as far as I
know they're just stories

They're not just stories...and yes I have pictures.:ph34r:

I'd like to hear a stoner from back in the day comment on this...

Comment on what? What were we talking about??
Damn...no short term memory!:P

It was a different time back then...
It WAS more prevalent in everyday life and hence also in skydiving.

It also HAS gotten much stronger...I still know people in both manufacturing & retail that can attest not only to that, but the how & why...

Personally....I can point to the exact time period that I quit...The entire Mexican economy went 'tits up' as a direct result!:ph34r:

I don't know that I'd want to get on a load with somebody that was high (or drunk, or whatever), but if they wanted to go by themselves or with a group of people that agreed to it I'd tell them to go for it.

You wouldn't have to....
Usually those that did, didn't need to seek permission....they'd gotten the 'Nod';) and were cleared for it.

Edited to add:

I remember jumping quite a bit with a guy that was almost always frying on acid...

~on jump run he'd give ya wink and ask...

"Green is down.. right...Blue up?!":D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~