mattmais

highest number of jumps ...w/o malfunction???

how any jumps did you get to w/o a malfunction...what kind of pack jobs did u use???

800 (+ a few thousand student rigs) for me... all Flat packing

including.....several on new yearss eve...... cramming the main crop into the D-bag!!!!!

Just out of curiosity, why don't you pro-pack or psycho-pack? (I'm assuming flat packing is the same as side-packing, laying the canopy on it's side, so that when it opens you have a 45 degree turn?)

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

i took a break from skydiving,,,,,,,,, most of the guys/gals before i quit were flat packing.

When Flat packing , one lays the canopy on the side...and no, it never oppened off heading,,,,,kind of steered the opening by moving the body in the harness....

Havent used propacking.....since just getting back into the sport..

i took a break from skydiving,,,,,,,,, most of the guys/gals before i quit were flat packing.

When Flat packing , one lays the canopy on the side...and no, it never oppened off heading,,,,,kind of steered the opening by moving the body in the harness....

Havent used propacking.....since just getting back into the sport..

gotcha... thanks. that's how I was taught to pack too... after getting back into the sport in a month or two (with brand new gear :D!), I'm looking forward (NOT) to learning how to pro or psycho packing.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Dont mean to high jack this thread but it seems to me that flat packing has a bad rep on here and amoung several up Jumpers that I have met. However, some things I have heard from other sources about flat packing:

1) It is virtualy impossible to pack a line over

2) It is going to open, maybe a little squirely, but it is going to open

3) The golden nights flat pack every thing they jump

4) P.R.O. = Prepare for Reserve Opening

I know none of these to be facts and #4 was told to me by someone who claimed that is what he would say shortly after pro packing started to be used and there were problems with it, now he is ok with it but still prefers flat packing

However, some things I have heard from other sources about flat packing:

1) It is virtualy impossible to pack a line over

2) It is going to open, maybe a little squirely, but it is going to open

3) The golden nights flat pack every thing they jump

4) P.R.O. = Prepare for Reserve Opening

I know none of these to be facts and #4 was told to me by someone who claimed that is what he would say shortly after pro packing started to be used and there were problems with it, now he is ok with it but still prefers flat packing

I'd consider #1 to be a fact. #2... well, there are no guarantees; flat packed mains malfunction too. Don't know about #3.

And I heard #4 about 15 years ago from the guy who taught me to skydive. He believed it. Would not let us propack any of the student or tandem canopies, period.

Back to the topic - I'm still waiting for my first cutaway.

Can someone explain why?

I'm always interested in avoiding potential line overs.

Y'know, now that you've made me think about it, I was respouting what I was told by others years ago, and should be smacked repeatedly with a wet noodle for doing so.

How about this instead - You're less likely to pack a line over when flat packing than when propacking as it's easier to keep control of the steering lines while flaking the tail, but you can still pack a line over regardless of which method you use if lines are not kept together in the "channel" while cocooning the canopy?

In my experience line overs on squares were unheard of before pro packing became popular.

Possible maybe, but extremely rare.

I have been psycho packing the last 200 junps with no malfunctions. The previous 1200 jumps were flat packing with no malfunctions.

I still think flat packing is neater and you get better openings.

I've had one mal in 1220 jumps. It was on jump #401. Tension knot and severe line twists.

Have been anal about making my line stows as neat as possible since then, and it helps that Mullins don't offer those $99 boogie til ya pukes anymore so I force myself to make the extra time packing it neatly... :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban