peek

Why haven't you gotten your B license?

We were sitting there talking about how when we were at that point in our skydiving career, that we could hardly wait to get that next license. It was a goal. IT was something we were proud of.

But we see quite a few people now lingering there with quite a few jumps, but have not gotten their next license.

In particular a lot of USPA "A" licensed people that have delayed getting their "B" license, although they are qualified (as far as we can tell).

If you are one of those, why the wait?

(To make this thread more manageable, can we skip the "D" license night jump requirement issue?)

I didn't get it. The reason?
Well the "A" back then was 20 jumps. The "B" was 50 and the "C" was 100. I needed the "A" to self jumpmaster and travel to other DZ's with little hassle. By the time I got 50 jumps I was doing 25-30 jumps a mth and saw no need since I would be able to get the "C" in a mth and a half.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Good question. I've taken the test, passed it, met all the requirements, and even have the form filled out, I just haven't had it signed off by an instructor.

It's been sitting in my gear bag like that for a few months now, I just keep forgetting to get it signed off before I leave the DZ. :S:P

Lazyness.

Jumping through hoops and gathering signatures just doesn't appeal to me so much. I'll probably get my B and C together before the next round of night jumps at my DZ though.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Good question. My lame reasons --

1. Because I don't live close enough to a dropzone to go on a weekday when someone's available to do water training -- I usually go on weekends when the instructors are busy doing AFF and helping people get their A's. I suppose this time of year my DZ is not quite as busy even on weekends, but it's too cold to jump in the pond.

2. I rent gear, so when I go to the DZ I want to get in as many jumps as possible to justify the cost of rental -- even if it is a weekday. So I guess a lot of it has to do with my priorities.

When I buy my own gear (which will be soon) I can go to the DZ with less pressure to get as many jumps in as possible and concentrate on the important things like getting my B and doing more RW rather than mostly solo's.

I realized the value of having a B license a couple weekends ago when I was at a DZ that was offering high-altitude jumps...will make a point to get the B before the summer.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

I haven't made the time to get water training, mostly because my B is just not a high priority for me. Until recently, I didn't think I needed any of the new 'privileges' although at some point I'd like to get a coach rating, so I'll need my B by then.

*Hi Rob!*

I don't have the motivation to take the exam for my B because I don't feel that the new privledges you get with your B are worth it - I'd go straight for my C instead. If staying consistantly current was a major issue for me I would probably have my B, but since I have no interest in night jumps I won't stress over it.

That may change at some point, I dunno - but it's not a priority for me right now.

Jen
Arianna Frances

I've never run into a situation in which restrictions because of my license status weren't waived. Granted I know key people at any of the dropzones I go to and they know that I'm on almost every load at my home DZ.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

It's just a letter.

I have met all requirements and taken the test for my B, but never sent the paperwork into USPA. Why? Because sending off that 20 bucks isn't going to make me fly better, land better or be a safer individual in the air.

Maybe I'll get my C when I turn 2 points on an 8 way freefly jump...and probably then only because I did it the hard way.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Because I am going to wait till I get 500 and go straight to D. <<<<

I didn't know that. I was always under the impresion
you have to have an A to get a B, and a B to get a C, and a C to get a D.

I don't know anyone who has been able to skip a lower license and go striat to a higher one?

I know some requirments of higher license can be overlooked by the board, and license issued.

For example; a person with night vision problems might be able to get a D without the required night jumps.

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

Because I am going to wait till I get 500 and go straight to D. <<<<

I didn't know that. I was always under the impresion
you have to have an A to get a B, and a B to get a C, and a C to get a D.

I don't know anyone who has been able to skip a lower license and go striat to a higher one?

I never got an A or a B, I went straight to C. It is really quite common.

because its simply piece of paper i dont really need atm...

whenever i decide i do want more ratings etc.. i'll take the B,C,D tests and get my D..

hell i know a few people with 2000+ jumps and an A.. ;)

You do not need to get the B or C, but you do need to fullfill the requirements for both in order to get a D.
I never got the B because I qualified for the B, was able to do the night jumps at my DZ, and since I don't jump anywhere else, saw no reason for the B. I did get the C for personal goals.
ignorance is not bliss

It is really quite common<<<<

Duh? now I can say I know someone who has.:)

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

What is the point of getting a B license? I have no desire (right now) to do a night jump. I make a jump at least once every 60 days anyway. Do I really need to be trained on how to get out of my rig in case I'm in water over my head? I'm sure I'll figure it out real quick. After all, I take my rig off after every skydive. I know how it works. And finally, I could not case less about status symbols. Does having a piece of paper (or an ink spot on your USPA card) make you a better skydiver? I think not.

Do I really need to be trained on how to get out of my rig in case I'm in water over my head? I'm sure I'll figure it out real quick. After all, I take my rig off after every skydive. I know how it works.

I'm sure those who've died after unintentional water landings thought the same thing...

but you do need to fullfill the requirements for both in order to get a D. <<<<

Yep! I just looked it up and it states in the SIM's

Either meet the requirments, or hold that lower license to obtain a higher one.:)

I'm sure those who've died after unintentional water landings thought the same thing...<<<<<<

Freezing cold water= hypothermia (sp)
Fast stream takes your canopy= disconnect RSL if any before cutaway.
Entanglement with lines= swim down and away from gear.
water depth could be shallow=PLF
ETC....;)

I only need to do the exam for my B. Plan to do that next time I visit my DZ. All the other requirements for my B and C are done (there are a lot more in the Netherlands than the USA I guess), except for the exams..[:/].

The exam for my B is easy...for my C it will probably take a lot of studying...>:(

Does having a piece of paper (or an ink spot on your USPA card) make you a better skydiver? I think not.

YES, it does. It shows that you have studied the SIM's and passed a knowledge test. The more you know about skydiving and your gear, the better skydiver you are.

I can't believe how many jumpers out there with 10-200 jumps think they have everything figured out because they can jump and pull. I was looking at a thread in gear and rigging and there were 4 people giving advise, ALL with under 200 jumps. I'm not saying that they all didn't know what they were talking about, but it surprises me how easily people will give advise to other jumpers having as little as 50 jumps. And the amount of jumpers that have little knowledge on how to assemble/ how their gear works is downright scary.

By the time I got water training, I was well on my way to C, and I decided just to wait and do the B&C tests at the same time and just apply for the C. Like others have said, the additional privileges of a B didn't really interest me... not interested in a night jump yet and haven't gone to any boogies that required anything more than an A license.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke