more bag locks and streamers

lots of tension knots

a few broken lines

holes big enough to drive buses through

a couple of rapidly spinning tiny mains

plus a couple more mains that I should have cutaway

etc.

Three to date:

1) Jump #14. Chest-mount, non-steerable round (pilot chute removed) after failing to locate main ripcord.

2) Jump #142. Cutaway after a low-speed malfunction. Very hard pull, almost went in. Strong lopo.

3) Jump #540. Cutaway following a streamer. Got open at around 1000' and steered the lopo into a small clear spot in a neighbor's yard. B|

My new rig has a Smart. Haven't used it yet...

Cheers,
Jon S.

Three in 3000 and 33 years.

First 1976 - brand new Strato Cloud, blew lines on first opening and spun up. That was a Navy conical reserve.

Second 1981 - pull out pilot chute - hadn't sewn down the bridle end out of the bridle bow-line knot at the pilot chute- it simply came undone - I pulled it out and threw, was left with a lonely bridle in the breeze. Is that why we called it a "throw-away pilot chute"? Hahaha. Another round reserve, PISA conical.

Third a cpl months ago (24 years since the last one, eh?!!). It was simlpy line twists that refused to unwind - so I just got off. Having owned 5 or 6 square reserves, finally got to use one. A Smart from Aerodyne. Sweet opening, flew well, very soft landing.

Blue Skies,

f

Two in 2,628 jumps. First was jump #6, my first freefall. 28' cheapo never came out of the sleeve, about half the lines never unstowed. Second was jump #8, a Mae West. Both times same reserve, a 24' T7A military chest mount with no pilot chute. Both landings were uneventful. That was in 1962 and no mals since.

none since 1962, that's pretty amazing

Both mals were someone else's pack jobs. I have always packed my own mains ever since, cheapos, PC's and squares. I am sometimes derided for the care and time I take in packing, but the results speak for themselves...no malfunctions in 43 years.