What's Skydiving Magazine like?

I have flicked through a few copies at the dz, but they were all quite old (as in 5-10 years old).

Is it worth getting an international subscription to this publication? Looks ok, but would like to know from readers what they think.

Thanks

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

PM me your address, PayPal me the postage to UK (to be determined), and I'll send you all of 2005 and you can determine for yourself whether or not a subscription is worth it.

The issues will arrive with my address cut out, but otherwise they show normal wear and tear from reading in *undisclosed* locations. ;)
Arrive Safely

John

Personally, as an experienced jumper, I tend to read Skydiving Mag more then I read Parachutist. So... depending on what in international subscription is... I'd say you'd be happy with a subscription to Skydiving. I keep a few issues of Parachutist around for the pictures to show my whuffo friends when they ask and because I feel I have to get something for those USPA dues... ;):P:)

The magazine seems to have a better quality paper and pictures (and a lot more of them) than the USPA mag. I really like the article they do about local dz's with pics and stories.

I think it comes out 9 times a year.

Blue skies,

Jim

I've been a subscriber since 1981. Skydiving is a great magazine. Mike Truffer (the publisher) isn't bound by any agendas and prints stuff you will never see in an organization like USPA/BPA's magazines. Well worth every penny imo.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I disagree with the quality of paper, but it is a good zine. Skydiving Magazine is a staple-bound tabloid (in terms of look, not content), where Parachutist is a traditional bound magazine. Skydiving Magazine also packs a lot of verbiage into each page where as Parachutist's layout is more pleasing to the eye and easier to find information quickly due to layout, shading and graphics placement. Skydiving Magazine also tends to be more rebellious where as Parachutist sticks firmly to every USPA rule in place. Examples of this include Skydiving Magazine's apt to print pictures of people jumping in clouds and runs extensive articles on BASE jumping. I subscribe to Skydiving Magazine and of couse get Parachutist through my USPA membership and value both pubs for not only entertainment, but for diverse opinions and information. You can subscribe and get additional information by visiting www.skydivingmagazine.com.

Edited to say: I looked at my Parachutist and it is not traditionally-bound (or glued book bound), but is stapled like Skydiving Magazine. Parachutist is thicker because of the 8.5x11 sheet size and heavier-weight glossy paper.
PMS#28, Pelogrande Rodriguez#1074
My Pink M

Actually, now that I think of it... I had a subscription to BPA's Parachutist mag counterpart for a year and enjoyed reading it... but I think BPAs mag only comes out 6 times a year or something like that (or it was something like that at the time) and I don't think I got all the issues I should have because of the nature of it having to come across the pond and all, I think a few got lost in the mail... anyway, like I said, I enjoyed reading the issues I got as it was a different slant on things. I think you'll feel similarly about Skydiving mag.

>Skydiving Magazine is a staple-bound tabloid (in terms of look, not content)

Don't be fooled... It is very much a tabloid too.....

At least two of those folks will stab you in the back, just to sell more rags...... And, defend lying to you about it........

Be careful what you say to them... all reporters are out to make you 'bleed'.....IMHO

Otherwise, it was a good source of skydive news... before I stopped subscribing..... though maybe not worth international delivery..... again, IMHO
Practice random acts of kindness, and senseless beauty...

And, give money for Mr Douglas! www.mrdouglas.org

IMO it is the best by far of the three mags I get (BPA, USPA and Skydiving).

And at £16 for 12 issues (1 year) it costs about half a pint per issue!

You'd be stupid not to. (ps - get the standard shipping; I do and from posts on here I know I often get mine well before some US jumpers! and I'm saving $20 in the process)

OK, I'm impressed with these guys.

As a result of this thread I checked it out and thought the price looked very reasonable, so took out a sub.

Now, I don't know when the April issue was originally published, but it's just dropped in my mailbox - 2 weeks after subscribing... even though it had to come via surface mail to SA. That is pretty darn good service!
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Hi,

Having to Subscribe to the "Skydiving Magazine " Since the early 1980's.

Let me Tell You something.
What a Awsome Magazine!

About that other so called "Parachutist" Publication.

Who are they ?
USPA.......Nobody's in Alexendria, Virginia, USA

Fuck Them !

Micheal Truffers "Skydiving" Magazine... Rocks !

Thank You.
Gerald Harendza
BASE # 75
New York