Boddington

40+ What's the real risk?

I'm looking for advice from anyone that took up this sport when they already had kids.

I'm 42 in a few weeks, married with 2 boys aged 5 & 2. I've completed 1 tandem which I loved, about 7 years ago at Weston here in the UK (TM was Andy Witcomb, whilst he was in the RAF Falcons so I had a good intro!), I've tried the Airkix tunnel (and got on quite well in there, although I guess they always say that!).

Basically, since completing the tandem there has always been something nagging away in the back of my mind telling me I have to do more with this sport. I'm no exercise junkie, and wouldn't say that I'm a risk taker, but with two DZ's within about 15 mins of where I live, the sport is never very far away. I work near Weston so the Hercs are always buzzing around, and when I'm at home over the weekend I find my eyes constantly gazing upwards when the aircraft from Hinton is climbing overhead, and quite often take my boys up there so 'they can watch' (I think you can work out what I really mean!).

If I take this further I think I would go the static line route first, as it's relatively cheap and gives me some quick feedback as to how I can handle the canopy and landing etc. I know if I was 100% certain about this I would just book an AFF1, but I'm not, so I figure the static line is a better option.

So, is there anyone out there who started jumping in their 40's, once they had kids? What were your concerns? injury (or worse), upsetting the family by spending all of your spare time hanging around an old airfield. Or did you think of the benefits, enjoy the experience, get qualified and take advantage of the fresh air, exercise and stress relief and become a better person (... I don't think I'm a bad one now!)

Hopefully, some of you must have been through this, I'm keen to know what you were thinking.

sorry Mark, i am not in genre but i got to say, my risk is riding my bike to the dropzone and then to the pub in brackley. Now you live in brackley, so the dropzone is 5 minutes from your home. You have no risk. Instead of the kids asking where daddy is and mum saying 'down the road at the pub' she could say ' across the road at the airfiedl'
Dude, you live near a dropzone, get there!
If you hurt yourself someone can drop you off home on the way to the pub;)

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I did my tandem on my 48th birthday.... 2 weeks later I was back going thru my FJC and my AFF 1 jump...
As long as you're reasonably fit (i.e. not overweight, no heart conditions) you have nothing to worry about...
If you're not certain about this but want to give it a go then definitely try a couple static line jumps... If you find it's what you really want then go ahead and switch to AFF and enjoy the ride...
As for your concerns, they're normal... be safe, relax, have fun and you'll have nothing to worry about...
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

I did my tandem on my 48th birthday.... 2 weeks later I was back going thru my FJC and my AFF 1 jump...
As long as you're reasonably fit (i.e. not overweight, no heart conditions) you have nothing to worry about...
If you're not certain about this but want to give it a go then definitely try a couple static line jumps... If you find it's what you really want then go ahead and switch to AFF and enjoy the ride...
As for your concerns, they're normal... be safe, relax, have fun and you'll have nothing to worry about...

apart from a double malfunction of course :P

hi mark, i was 43 when i started skydiving,it really gave me a new lease on life, i was overweight, a heavy drinker, and going nowhere. i immediately dropped 15kgs, moderated my drinking, and started a whole new life.
i have now taken all my kids for a tandem, met hundreds of new friends, and seen many countries , i would probably have never seen.
it is a great sport with great people, definately give it a go!
i am not sure what the dz's are like near u , the one i started at was a great family dz, but it is not too difficult to manage ur time between family and dz.

Given the weather in the UK, you won't be spending all your time at the DZ. :D

There are many worse, even more expensive hobbies you could have.

No need for guilt.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

It's a personal decision for everyone. No one can answer for you whether you should jump or not. It is a great sport and I decided to continue after I had kids. This was a tough decision though. DO NOT let people on this site convince you that this sport is safe(especially someone with 23 jumps.) This sport is NOT safe,yes you can do things to be as safe as possible, but shit still happens. Do a search on this site for threads about the safety of skydiving. I think you will find that most of the experience people will agree with me, most have had friends killed in the sport and maybe even seen a few.

I am not trying to keep you from jumping. I just want you to be able an informed decision. I was one of the hardest I have made and I had 8 years and 1500+ jumps of experience when my first was born. Search this site get some info and then make a decision. Your wife also needs to be involved in the choice.

Made my first jump 15 years ago when i was 39 after i had gotten rid of the old ball and chain (sometimes divorce can be a beautiful thing) had 1 son age 8 at the time.

Never worried about what he or anyone in my family thought about it because i just wanted to do it. Have never regretted it and never will.

My son thought it was cool to tell his friends his dad was a skydiver and i even took him to several conventions later on at Quincy, one time even with his girlfriend which by some strange cionkidink gave me my first grandchild 9 months later.
Guess i should have stayed at the camp site that nite instead of going to the party at the big tent.

Thanks everyone for the overnight responses, I guess on this site I was never going to get anyone say 'Don't do it'. I'm happy with the safety side of things, and fully understand the physical and financial risks and am quite convinced that I would love every minute of it. But, before I commit to anything I guess I'm more interested to know what impact the decision made to the family; I can imagine my kids being happy to spend time at the DZ, but when the novelty wears off and you've spent all day waiting for some good weather things must get tense.......

A quick note from someone in a similar position to yourself. I started skydiving last year at 34 years old and have 2 kids, aged 7 and 9. They've been to the DZ once, and were bored stiff after 30 minutes. There really isn't much to keep kids occupied, and for the few minutes of the day that they could theoretically see you "in action" (under canopy/landing), you'll be too far away for them to make you out (inexperienced landing areas are usually some distance from spectators), and in the first few months you'll be flying a canopy of unknown colours (rental!) so they won't even know what to look out for.
You will most definitely need an understanding wife, as once bitten, you'll spend more and more time at the DZ.
The weather factor here in the UK actually makes things worse, as there will be days where you hang around the DZ hoping to jump...but can't. The following weekend, you'll want to spend more time there to make up for it !!
In my experience it's a great sport, but it will eat up a lot of time...and you'll probably have the leave the kids at home (not only my experience!), so be prepared!!

Good points MarcusS.

I was 39 when I started and had a 2-year old toddler with another one on the way! They're 8 and 6 now and still find the videos I bring home interesting to watch B|:$.

I would say getting the family on-board is important; they may not be able to join in, but their understanding of the time commitment is paramount, especially early on and especially if you do a static-line course which will most likely take you longer to train than AFF.

Once trained you may find (:D) you want to spend more and more time at the airfield. I find planning well ahead (most of the summer) goes down best. Pencil in all the days you want to jump - progression days, competition days, fun days, boogies etc. and then stick to the days you all agree. If the weather's good on a family day, don't rush off to jump because it rained all day on your last jumping day (I only did that onceB|).

Risk-assessment is something you will need to work out for yourself. It is a dangerous sport. Getting the best training you can will help to you to minimise the risk but doesn't make it go away. Be as informed as you possibly can to help you make decisions. For some piece of mind ([:/]), make sure all your life insurance providers are informed in writing that you are taking up the sport. None of mine charged any premiums as I didn't jump when the policies were taken out.

Of course, a good solution is to get your other-half into skydiving, but that might end up leaving you at home holding the baby!:|:P

I did my first tandem on my 52nd birthday. My kids were grown and gone by then. I have friends who took up the sport when they had families and their time at the DZ is limited because of it. I have the freedom to travel to far away DZs and to go jumping any time I'm not working, which is what my life has become.

I think I'd be miserable having to limit my time at the DZ because of family obligations. I resented having to go to my son's wedding a few weeks ago on a Saturday. I'm glad that I didn't take it up until after I had an empty nest and could spend all of my money jumping out of perfectly good airplanes. I'm truly addicted.
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

Hi Boddi...

I'm 42 and made my first AFF jump last August. I'm married and have a son in college.

I know everyone's situations are a little different, so I'll tell you about how it affected me, not how I think it will effect you.

It changed my life. Not only the skydiving, but the people and the culture in general. I finally found a sport, and a place that left me fulfilled at the end of the day. (some of the days ended after midnight too)! I went from being a constantly at home, and available husband to being one that escaped every chance I could get to the DZ. I'd be in the den staring at the sky and white puffy clouds and pace like an expectant father. Every other word out of my mouth would be about skydiving. My 5 acre property started to look like hell, and all my machinery and even my job started to lack attention. One goal, one focus, FREEFALL!

My advise to anyone with a family who wants to skydive is to involve them if at all possible. Especially your better half! I have a great wife who isn't into skydiving and it made it a little rough in the beginning. We compromised and I only go once a week (unless I sneak away from work :P)

Be prepared for beer parties too. Those skinny bastards can really drink, and they'll never let an opportunity pass when you do something that requires beer!

Hi,
I started at 45 - my daughter just made her first (tandem) jump at Hinton and came running up to me afterwards to say "I get it now!"...luckily I was wearing dark glasses so she couldn't see me cry!

Anyhow..you need to recognize that it is a selfish decision - it isn't safe and can take time away from your family...BUT...as long as everyone understands that then this sport will fill you with more love for life than anything I have ever come across and it will calm you to face the little stresses of family life. When you land and the first thought in your mind is "IT IS SO GREAT TO BE ALIVE!" then that it likely to make you a better parent as well.

Weston and Hinton are both nice and friendly places...The other way to handle the weather and the scheduling is to book tunnel time too.

Blue skies,
Tim
"Work hard, play hard and don't whinge"

I started a couple years ago at the age of 33 with 2 kids and a wife. Kids are 3 and 7 now. My wife and the 7 year old hate skydiving and anything to do with it. The 7 year old is just scared for his daddy and the wife is jealous of the bond I have with everyone at the dropzone and the time spent there. Spouses who do not jump can make it very difficult for you. It is a very boring at a DZ for those who do not jump. They feel like outsiders because they do not understand any of the skydiver lingo. There is absolutely nothing for kids to do at the DZ either. Most of the time kids are being told to get back, stay away from that, don't touch that! I don't blame them, i would not like it either. Now the 3 year old is a different story. She just thinks it is the coolest thing ever that daddy can fly.

PS: The wife knows better than to make me choose, because she know very well what the answer will be.

Thanks for all these responses, now I've really got something to work with. I'm lucky in that my wife has also done a tandem (same load as me) and the tunnel time but fortunately sees both as a great experience but a one-off ....... I'm the one that seems to like the adrenalin rush (Tried parasailing in Morzine, owned a couple of motorcycles, and although never in the military managed to have loads of flights hanging out the back of a Herc watching the RAF Falcons do their stuff (Long story but related to a 'Press' role). It's the latter that gives me the confidence to know I would enjoy this, I've stood on the ramp at 12,000ft watching the team jump out thinking I could easily put on on one of the spare kits and hop out with them. Unfortunately that link has been lost now otherwise this decision would have been easier.

For those of you in California, what is Andy Witcomb doing now? As I mentioned in my first post, he took me on the tandem and following his move to San Diego I probably would have signed up for an AFF programme over there, but then found out that my wife was pregnant which kind of changed the plan!

Once again, thanks for all the advice, it's all very useful

Mark -- One of the concerns you expressed was about the impact of jumping on time with your family. As a father of four, I'm familiar with the conflicts that can arise. The key is balance... a word that is missing from the vocabulary of many skydivers. While it's important to jump often enough to stay current, you can have a life outside of the sport.

Doug

I like PrarieDoug's reply..it doesn't have to be all-or-nothing...balance is a good word.

Is there a tunnel near you? Take the kids and let 'em play every once in a while; they'll get something of an understanding (as much as youngsters of that age can) of how fun it is for you.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Me? I said screw it ALL. Divorce, quit job, went skydiving full-time.
:D:S:D:S
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Not many people in this thread have yet directly addressed the risk to their lives when their kids were young, so I will. To all: please note I am NOT being judgmental about anyone else’s decision; I’m simply stating what mine was.

I started jumping when I was 18 and single. Life took its normal course & I got married & started a career, financial obligations like a mortgage, etc. When my wife was pregnant with our first kid, I stopped jumping specifically because I wanted to reduce the risk of my being killed or catastrophically injured while my children were still small. (I also started driving more safely, etc.) My wife & I felt it would be too much of a hardship on the kids to have one of their parents die when they were still very young. I did make a few jumps now and then during this long hiatus to wet my beak, so to speak, but just a few. However, I did keep up with all the developments in the sport, and I was tangentially involved in several skydiving industry businesses in the meantime.
I only got back into the sport on a very active basis a couple of years ago when my kids were well into their teens.
Only you can decide whether to engage in a life-risking activity while your kids are still young, but I do think it’s an issue you should actively think about.

Not to be morbid, but check your life insurance policy to make sure you are covered in the event of a bad accident. Some policies exclude skydiving ( and auto racing and flying light planes.) Know before you go.

Get in as good of shape as you can. Jogging will strengthen the legs and bones, making landing injuries less likely. Losing any extra weight you may be carrying ( I now I found some extra pounds in my forties[:/]) will make the freefall easier and the landings softer. We don't pick up new skills as quickly in our 40's as in our teens. Spend some extra time practicing what you learned in the first jump course. Review your emergency procedures often. Everyone needs to have those down stone cold anyway.

I've known many jumpers who started at your age or later and did very well. I've know a few who struggled with weight and injury issues, and what I saw as learning problems. Put in the extra work, and you should probably do great.