freq-fly

Packing "Must do's"

Ok, I understand the "packer" ...but not rigger.
Sorry :(

There's a lot more to what they can and cannot do, but the bottom line is - they are certified (in the US, they are certified by the FAA) to pack reserves.

A packer (unless he or she is also a rigger) can only pack mains.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

You can't be taught how to teach someone in just a few practice jumps and a 2-3 day course.

It's a hell of a lot better than nothing!

At least a person going through the course gets the idea that -maybe- there's more to life than simply thinking you know how to do something.

Will a person coming out of the course be a "great" teacher? Probably not, but should come out with at least a slight appreciation of what it takes and what skills they might be lacking.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

What I find funny is that there are folks out there with 50 to 100 jumps that have only packed a few times, Packing is not a hard thing to do, remember we are skydivers it needs to be easy for us. On the other hand I was taught to pack after my second jump and I jumped my first pack job on my first clear and pull, but that was just the way we were taught, the buddy I went through my trining with did the same thing. Oh yea I also was spoting the airplane by jump 8, which is also a lost art these days. So I say throw it in the bag make sure everything is clear, smile as you leave the airplane. and remember jump numbers dont mean shit when your packing.
gthomasphoto.com

What I find funny is that there are folks out there with 50 to 100 jumps that have only packed a few times,

makes more sense when they don't own their gear until 50-100 jumps. I often had different gear with each jump, and didn't want to get bit by some weird quirk in one of them. Even now, my own container's manual contradicts itself on main flap closing order.

And sometimes that rental includes packing, like it or not, and definitely for the last one.

A packer (unless he or she is also a rigger) can only pack mains.

Sorry, not so (unless the packer is the one who will be using the main).

A packer may NOT pack mains, nor reserves, unless he or she is a rigger or working under the supervision of a rigger.

If a packer is working under the supervision of a rigger, he or she may pack both mains AND reserves.

Mark

That's perfectly fine IMHO...I started packing at early jump #'s, but everyone learns a little differently. Learn to pack when you feel you are beginning to relax a bit more about your jumps. No need to overload yourself with worries about how your main is going to treat you when you are trying to concentrate on your skydive.:S Learn when you feel you are up to taking on the new challenge!;) But you will need to learn when you are ready for that box to be checked off on your A license card.

The Braver the Bird...The Fatter the Cat.

Guest 1010
>Even now, my own container's manual contradicts itself on main flap closing order.

fyi, the manufacturer would probably like to hear about that. Bill B lamented the fact that (rarely, or never?) are owners' manual typos reported, he finds them years into production. (ie, they don't seem to be read often or closely).

Original poster: I didn't learn to pack until winter came and the packers had gone to sunnier climes, so I had to pack it up myself to make loads. I was sure to have my rigger inspect the main at re-pack time to be sure my main wasn't getting messed up by my abbreviated flaking technique (on a Spectre 190). Must do's: cock your pilot chute if it's collapsible, slider against the grommets (don't know how anyone could forget that but that have evidently ...) ;)

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

ok I think my post came off a little wrong, I should say that after I made my first jump I relized I had found something I had always looked for, I loved the smell of a canopy, I still love the smell of of a canopy, along with the cool air as the door opens, the view looking down towards the ground hanging off the step of a 182, everything about this sport and packing my own chute made me feel more like I was apart of it, and the DZO pushed learning everything about the sport early because after all jumping is only part of the sport. as for the most important part of packing for me is , the slider and the PC. As the DZO used to tell me, pack like your life depends on it!!
gthomasphoto.com

Sorry, not so (unless the packer is the one who will be using the main).

A packer may NOT pack mains, nor reserves, unless he or she is a rigger or working under the supervision of a rigger.

If a packer is working under the supervision of a rigger, he or she may pack both mains AND reserves.

I'm certainly not going to argue with your statements; they are true, and according to your profile, you've got way more rigging qualifications than I do.

But if you look at the way that those regulations are typically enforced (or not enforced) at most dropzones, people referred to as "packers" pack mains (and are often not under the supervision, direct or otherwise) of a rigger, and people referred to as "riggers" (or those training to be riggers) pack reserves.

I was trying to put it in simple, practical terms for someone about to do her AFF Level 3 jump, who had, apparently, not yet heard those terms.

>Even now, my own container's manual contradicts itself on main flap closing order.

fyi, the manufacturer would probably like to hear about that.

I have mentioned it to Ankie who told me a newer revision was being done. Whether or not Wings did, I don't know.

The left then right versus right then left seems to be a pretty minor difference anyway - I did it the opposite way for 20 or 30 packs before it came up in discussion here. I liked it better that way - easier to get the closing pin in, but adaptation is easy enough.

And please don't forget to re-set your kill line. And check your kill line at least twice, once right when you set it, then again before you close your bag into the container. I won't go into how to set it, you should have a packer or instructor show you personally.

I noticed this glaring ommision as well, but figured I'd just let everyone that was argueing over coach ratings and how many jump numbers it takes to give packing advice burn in with PC's in tow instead...:ph34r:
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Sorta...the "kill line" is what collaspes the PC once the bag is pulled off the canopy...by "cocking the PC" one moves the bridal back down the "kill line"

Please correct me if I am wrong....I am not a rigger or even a coach!!!!! Yet.

I think I'll let others pack for me the rest of my skydiving career...LOL I don't trust myself [:/]
Perhaps one day I'll get there.

LOL, I bet you might change your mind one of these days!!! I love packing and I am working on my riggers ticket under the supervision of a rigger. I feel more comfort in knowing my reserve and main are right because I did them than trusting someone else doing it without me there. I've found the uglier pack jobs tend to open better but I don't make a point to make it ugly! Just my two cents which I'm sure someone will complain about. :ph34r:
I love my husband!

Guest 1010

ok now.....everyone that gave advice....how many malfunctions on your own pack jobs?

oh fer a hundred ... (knocks wood) ... but maybe next jump :P The Spectre 190 has treated me well, it comes highly recommended for a reason, rarely line twists even

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

What I find funny is that there are folks out there with 50 to 100 jumps that have only packed a few times,

makes more sense when they don't own their gear until 50-100 jumps. I often had different gear with each jump, and didn't want to get bit by some weird quirk in one of them. Even now, my own container's manual contradicts itself on main flap closing order.

And sometimes that rental includes packing, like it or not, and definitely for the last one.

Score again for learning at a small DZ. We learned how to pack our own student (main) canopies while still on student status. By the time I got my own gear it was easy. :)
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I'll have to take your word for it.

Just an anomaly.

There may be more "anomalies" out there than you realize. To backup NWFlyer's post, there is a packer at Byron who is only 18 or 19 who has a few thousand packjobs and I think may be going for his rigger ticket soon...and has only one or two AFF jumps last time I asked him. I'll gladly ask him for tips or pay him to pack mine if needed.