Wharewaka

How to fall fast when small

My friend is 110 lbs, 165cm. She can fall app 125 mph without weights.(135 mph with 5kg,11lbs) She needs to be able to fall up to 140mph on her belly incl weights. She has definately improved her fast fall lately but now feels she has reached her limit. I am sure she will be able to fall faster when she gets more experienced(has now 250 jumps) but how to get there fast? She has limited time to jump and can not go to a windtunnel or get a lot of(at the mo no) one to one coaching. it needs to be belly flying but necessesarily not mantis pos.

Any advice....?

Teach her to freefly.

Seriously, why at 250 jumps must she be able to fall 140mph and be productive on her belly? That's on the edge of insanely fast, reserved usually for the base on bigways and stupidly fast 4way.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Seriously, why at 250 jumps must she be able to fall 140mph and be productive on her belly? That's on the edge of insanely fast, reserved usually for the base on bigways and stupidly fast 4way.

a) totally agree with the above
b) arch
c) adding more weight might get her faster but also increases wingloading!!!
d) get the rest of the team to slow down a bit

M.
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

d) get the rest of the team to slow down a bit

IMO, stupidly fast 4 way is a good thing. ;) BTW, I wear 14 lbs with my team. Getting the team to slow down generally isn't a good thing. The fastest faller should be setting the fall rate, period. Otherwise, you're limiting what the team can do since somebody ends up dearching and causing bobbles in the formation builds.
We are all engines of karma

If I remember right, its called relative work. Relative to others and their fall rate. It has to be adjusted either way. I really get tired of hearing everyone downloading their fancy altimeters when they land talking about how slow or how fast the formation was. Most of the time they don't match anyway. Fly together. It seems nobody can fly at different fall rates anymore.

My friend is 110 lbs, 165cm. She can fall app 125 mph without weights.(135 mph with 5kg,11lbs) She needs to be able to fall up to 140mph on her belly incl weights. She has definately improved her fast fall lately but now feels she has reached her limit. I am sure she will be able to fall faster when she gets more experienced(has now 250 jumps) but how to get there fast safely? She has limited time to jump and can not go to a windtunnel or get a lot of(at the mo no) one to one coaching. it needs to be belly flying but necessesarily not mantis pos.

Any advice....?

There, fixed it for you.

My advice? Sure, I've got advice. Worth every cent you're paying for it of course :P

250 Jumps, limited currency, maniacally fast fall rate.

Take a step back and reconsider.

Sorry, I can't help but have this nagging feeling a 9000 jump male is taking a 250 jump female on a skydive she's not ready for. I apologise if I'm reading the situation all wrong.
Johan.
I am. I think.

Man... I'm 6'5" tall, 270 lbs out the door and I'm not even sure I could do 140 mph on my belly. I can get to 130, but there's only so much arching my big ass can do. I too, can't help but wonder why. She in a base for hybrids?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Why...

She wants to film tandems. She can keep up with 136 mph(with 11lbs) at moment but needs to get closer and sometimes they will fall faster when passengers are bigger.

Why not wear more weight....

Weightbelt doesnt fit much more, not a big waist to put it around. And I dont want to see her twist an ankle on landing. Besides its hard to know exactly how much weight to bring each time. Better to have optimised the bellyflying technique first.

Freefly....Great but maybe 250 jumps is not enough to always fly safe with tandems and take great footage.

Male taking a female for skydive.......

Would be great fun but we dont have much time to jump together. I have told her how some guys bring knees or knee down when they used to film freestyle on belly and she has gotten advice here and there about how to speed up. I know there is small skydivers filming tandems without wearing a ton of weight so I am sure she will be great at it eventually(she already is great beeing able to fall 136) just though I post a question here how people speed up their belly flying .....

Why...

She wants to film tandems. She can keep up with 136 mph(with 11lbs) at moment but needs to get closer and sometimes they will fall faster when passengers are bigger.

Why not wear more weight....

Weightbelt doesnt fit much more, not a big waist to put it around. And I dont want to see her twist an ankle on landing. Besides its hard to know exactly how much weight to bring each time. Better to have optimised the bellyflying technique first.

Freefly....Great but maybe 250 jumps is not enough to always fly safe with tandems and take great footage.

Male taking a female for skydive.......

Would be great fun but we dont have much time to jump together. I have told her how some guys bring knees or knee down when they used to film freestyle on belly and she has gotten advice here and there about how to speed up. I know there is small skydivers filming tandems without wearing a ton of weight so I am sure she will be great at it eventually(she already is great beeing able to fall 136) just though I post a question here how people speed up their belly flying .....

Thanks for the reply!
We are all engines of karma

***Why...

Why not wear more weight....***

I was trying to figure out the reason too...

I would say she should not (for now) do video for really large passengers. At the same time, she can help out some of the more normal-sized camera flyiers by taking on the 100 lb student who somehow gets paired with the 150 lb, 6'4" tandemmaster.

Then, she should take her time learning to sitfly with enough proficiency that if the passenger is huge, she can go into a sit to stay down.

Weights are great, but as you say there are limits both in terms of room and saftey, and you can never predict amounts. The only thing to do is figure out how much weight you need to be comfortable in an average range of speeds, and wear that amount 99% of the time. The only time you would change weight is if you know the group is going to fall really slow... adding much past 15-20 lbs total starts to become a saftey issue
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

250 jumps and videoing tandems!:o

She should have a LOT more jumps before even getting near a tandem, let alone filming. If she cannot control her fall rate to stay with the tandem, she has NO BUSINESS near one.

She should build the jumps, the skills, and the fall rate before she is allowed to fly with them.

Sorry but 250 jumps is way too inexperienced for a tandem vidiot.
John
Arizona Hiking Trails

Come on there is some skydivers who are able to use their head and have great flying skills even they only have a few hundred jumps! She is very safe and if the tm's actually wants her to come jump with them(male and female) that proves they trust her and after she has jumped with them they say, that was fun come up next jump again! She has the skills to approach safely and staying away from the drouge on exit, she gets faceshots on exit and the rolls over and are often tight. Only problem is the fallrate. I understand you can think someone with 250 jumps would be a danger to the tandem but far from everyone is. She is not miles away on the fast jumps, just to high on them to sell the vid if that was what she wanted to try and do. You know when I asked how to fall fast when small everyone asked why.....
So if she does a thousand jumps from now, FS,freefly etc she might still struggle to keep up with fast tandems because that might be the only time she has to fall that fast. Sitflying does not always give such a a good vid I think. And she cant do freefly and FS at moment because its a small DZ with just some tandems going up. So now is a good time for her to practice to fall fast, it will be a great skill to have, maybe she want to do AFF or film AFF etc in the future.

The post from skyjunkie...Thanks we thought about sitflying but not all DZ allow it on tandems.

To be honest the best advice on falling fast on belly was to drink beer ha ha. So maybe that is the way then....

Thanks for your replys though.

If the tandem is outside my range I turn it down. I can fall with almost everyone but there are still tandems that I refuse to fall with since the product will be crap. I can sitfly and put a foot in for a dock on a fast tandem and with my wings I can go with the slowest tandem, but there are still things I do not feel in my comfort zone on and will not do just since the end product is not the best.

If the Tandem is falling that fast the TM should be doing everything they can to slow that skydive down. Baggy clothes, getting big, etc. Its not just the video persons job to fall fast, but the TM has to help too and if they are'nt then they need to pull their share of the effort too.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

She shouldn't be filming tandems at 250 jumps. My opinion, what do I know.. I'm new.

I started flying camera at 450 jumps or so, and I'm comfortable following a tandem out and filming from a distance maybe, but not even close to doing tandem production videos.. but I'm no superstar.

No chance anyone w/ under 300 jumps (or 500 for that matter) is getting anywhere near a tandem at our dropone, especially with a video camera.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Minimum requirements for tandem videographers, according to Booth. 500 jumps, 100 with camera.

Have her get rid of her booty suit, get the tighest freefly suit she can find, and learn to dive, sit, and backfly. Backflying gets the best footage anyway, IMHO. Stick a camera on her head now, too.

my sister has the same problem with fall rate she could never get to the groups always right above them, she got a space suit thats really tight and its helped some
light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak