lewmonst

Do you like this month's Parachutist cover photo?

That pic wallows in a vast sea of lameness!

It would appear to be a huge insult to the many photographers that submit better quality shots.

I am assuming some desire to show "the lighter side of..."
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

IMO, I'm glad it was posted. I've got that one saved on the lappy in hopes of using it for blackmail some day;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

IMO, I'm glad it was posted. I've got that one saved on the lappy in hopes of using it for blackmail some day;)

OK, you saving me covered in slippery Swedish foam on your lappy ain't so bad. Poor old Cpox is one of those evangelical former fat guys.

I still had more fun in the foam than he had taking unflattering pictures :P

First in Foam!

I vote no. The photograph is poor quality, needs more center flash, less background light, and a higher speed capture. It is dark, fuzzy, and utterly dull. It has nothing to do with skydiving, and is apparently only a reference to 10 year old cheezy Swayze flick. Boring boring boring.

I saw 100 plus pictures last week by the famous Karen Lewis that were all infinitely better and would have made better covers. :P:P:P

Lew,

I just got home and saw the picture. I think it sucks. It looks like three guys standing in front of a blue screen.

It does nothing to promote safe skydiving; it does nothing to promote skydiving period.
The United States Parachute Association and its 34,000 member skydivers enjoy and promote safe skydiving through parachuting training, rating, and competition programs. USPA represents parachute jumping from aircraft and helps keep skydivers in the air.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

My first thought was, "why are the TI and the student both wearing masks?" Then I noticed there were three people, and then noticed that they all have rigs and are hanging on to each other - it isn't a tandem. I recognized Nixon right away but wasn't quite sure who the other two were. I read the caption inside and studied the picture some more and I _think_ the other two are Clinton (top) and Bush the Elder (bottom). (I've seen Point Break but it was several years ago, before I started jumping.)

I agree with the comments on the lighting of the photograph. I'm not sure how to fix it, other than to observe that maybe the jump took place very early in the morning or very late in the evening, causing the one-sidedness of the sunlight - maybe jumping more towards mid-day would have been better. Also, if the jumpers could have done it back-to-earth, having the ground in the photo would give a better sense of "this is happening up in the air".

For an alternative "photo of the $PERIOD", check out Skydive Radio, which usually has a new pic-of-the-week on Tuesdays.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

I saw the cover and thought someone watched Point Break one too many times...:S
The photo at the bottom of page 13 with the space shuttle launch would have made a much better cover....

agreed, except the composition wouldnt have allowed the banner very easily..

but then judging from the cover they DID pick no one in the editorial staff appears to believe that the fundamentals of photography are very important...

but its only Parachutist the toilet reading fluff magazine so.... no great loss.. ;)

no one in the editorial staff appears to believe that the fundamentals of photography are very important...

But I did notice they felt printing with black ink on a blue background would make it easier to read, if you use a flood light.:P
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Hello Nice Lady

I think it's time for USPA to run another photo contest where the winner gets $50 for the best pic.

Then USPA can restock their photo library with all the contest entries and put some real skydiving pics on the cover.

R.I.P.

BTW How tall are you:P