Sockpuppet

How much...

So, how much is this skydiving malarky going to run me.

I've done a few tandems and loved them. Now I have a nicer job I can afford to look at doing this as a full time hobby.

I remember a post by lawrocket that he wouldnt recommend skydiving to some mates as they couldnt afford to be current.

My question is how many dives should "i aim" to make per month. I think one will keep me "current" but not really that safe if you are only managing one per month. Dont want to do AFF to find that i cant jump more than 2 times a month.

Mainly becuase I am poving out of the rent free place I call my parents and getting my own house and I dont want to have to spend so much on that that I have no money to live in the mean time. Its all about budgets people!

UK based prices please. Dont worry about Kit as my service in the reserve forces gives me ~£2000 ($4000) a year purely for play items which will cover that/AFF course. Might even cover some jumps with sensible purchasing decisisons.

Cheers
Richard

------
Two of the three voices in my head agree with you. It might actually be unanimous but voice three only speaks Welsh.

any thing from bugger all to your soul, but mostly likely somewhere in between:ph34r::ph34r:

start up costs run about $5K:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I have no idea what skydiving costs in the UK, i know it is probably a little more than the rest of the world though.

I think, and i'm sure that there will be many differing opinions here, that if you can do 100 jumps in your first year, you're doing ok.

I used to do 10 jumps a month, skydiving the first and third weekend of every month, imo, that's the bare minimum you can do to retain any reasonable learning curve.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

You'll be very lucky if that £2000 covers AFF and kit. A new rig will set you back more than £3000. AFF in the UK must be about £1500.

Once you're qualified jumps are around £20 each. I would not consider one a month to be current, you should be looking at 50 a year as a minimum. And if you really fall in love with the sport one a month will not be enough anyway ;).

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

"Abandon hope all ye who enter here..."

It will cost everything you have, and it will never be enough.

I find 200 dives a year maintains your skill level, more than 200 will expand it.

100 a year will probably keep you safe.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

You'll be very lucky if that £2000 covers AFF and kit. A new rig will set you back more than £3000. AFF in the UK must be about £1500.

Once you're qualified jumps are around £20 each. I would not consider one a month to be current, you should be looking at 50 a year as a minimum. And if you really fall in love with the sport one a month will not be enough anyway ;).

Gus

Thanks for the replies guys. So I'm looking at around £4000 a year not inc gear.

The reservist thing is quite nice. It provides me with ~$400 a month income (and takes 2 weekends off me) plus spare I have from my normal job.

I think we may be onto a winner.

Should I just skip a lot of years of hassle and move into a trailer at DZ now instead of buying this new house :ph34r:

------
Two of the three voices in my head agree with you. It might actually be unanimous but voice three only speaks Welsh.

Well, more like £2000 a year not inc gear, after your initial setup cost (which is huge).

100 jumps a year in the UK can actually be hard to achieve for the casual jumper, or even the weekend regular at a small DZ. So speaks the voice of experience B|
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Mainly becuase I am poving out of the rent free place I call my parents and getting my own house and I dont want to have to spend so much on that that I have no money to live in the mean time. Its all about budgets people!

First, find an importer for Ramen noodles.
Then jump ~200 per year (no idea what UK jump prices translate to in dollars).
That should do it.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I sold a lot of stuff on ebay and ate a lot of tortillas and cheese to get into the sport

now it is not as expensive as I fly random camera slots and make money on the weekends packing and stuff

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Hi

AFF in the Uk - £1250+
RAPS - £165 to £185 ish for a FJC then £36ish for each jump after that.
Once qualified - around £20 a ticket.

Need to buy - helmet
- alti
- jump suit
- goggles
- gloves

New rig - £3000ish
2nd hand rig, varys a lot, £1800-£2300 for a decent one.

The best way to see how much training is going to cost you is to look at the DZ websites and see their exact prices. The helmet etc costs can be quite cheep if you buy 2nd hand.

Good luck.
Leeds University Skydiving Club
www.skydiveleeds.co.uk

They talked about cost a while ago on Skydive Radio, and basically what they reckon is half your paycheck for the rest of your life. ;)

But fear not, i think i can hoestly say that i have not wasted one penny on skydiving. Every penny i spent was money well spent, even the dives that went to s*it.

Im sure there are a few skydivers out there that will tell you the same B|

Blue Skies!
Some dream of flying, i live the dream...

I'm makin it work, I'm broke, As shit! Around $2,400 to get through AFF level 20. I figure. That's w/out buying a Rig, about $2,500-5,500 more for a Rig, maybe higher, maybe less it all depends on who your resources are. Some DZ'z have rigs you can rent for about $45-50 per day. You still have to buy jump tickets.
good luck..me too!
DustyP

Since I graduated I have been picking up hobbies (motorcycling, rock climbing, and now skydiving). To afford these hobbies I don't do anything but work and hobbies.

Some helpful food tips (has saved me alot):

I eat bulk cereal for breakfast, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with fruit for lunch, and ramen noodles, saltine crackers, and rice (mixed together) with a bowl of vegetables for dinner. (I don't choose flavors or brands, whatever is on sale.) Some people can't eat the same thing day in and day out (and some people say you shouldn't) so feel free to swtich it up once in a while if you need or have to.

I don't question how much I spend on my hobbies but what my life would be like without my hobbies. I don't want to work all day, go home and cook dinner, sit down and watch television, and then go to bed (might as well be dead already).
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

A guy at the dropzone had a T-shirt that read..

"I spent most of my money on skydiving and beer. the rest I just wasted"

I think this is a true and accurate statement! Don't worry about the cost, once you get ataste you will find the money, just like a junky :D

i reckon i've blown about £15,000 in 4 years.

406 jumps
Rig
trip to Eloy :)camera helmet
canon 350
pc109
sony vaio
High class hookers...oops

if i didn't have 4 kids, it would be twice that !!

oh well, you can't take it with ya !
"Message from the dark side, there is"
Yoda

Should I just skip a lot of years of hassle and move into a trailer at DZ now instead of buying this new house :ph34r:

There it is!!! The wisdom that I wish I had three years ago. Of course if I knew three years ago that I would be driving 2 hours each way every weekend to my dz I would have never bought the freakin' house.

But owning a house isn't all that bad. Just think, in two or three years, when your well has gone dry, you'll have equity to steal from!!!

Home For Sale: Twin Cities, Great Location!

Hi Puppet

The reservist thing is quite nice. It provides me with ~$400 a month income (and takes 2 weekends off me) plus spare I have from my normal job.

How much time you got left to serve with the reserves?

2 weekends a month for $400 might not be worth the time you'll be away from the DZ. Not sure about england but you might be able to make that much $$$ packing on the DZ in 1 weekend/month.

Or you could try for a boy toy job.B|

/reply]

Hi Puppet

How much time you got left to serve with the reserves?

2 weekends a month for $400 might not be worth the time you'll be away from the DZ. Not sure about england but you might be able to make that much $$$ packing on the DZ in 1 weekend/month.

Or you could try for a boy toy job.B|

/reply]

Hmm..

I can "leave" the reservists anytime I like. Its a voluntary thing I just get paid for my time.

Apart from being immense fun and a service to the general public (my unit trains for terrorist strikes/natural disasters) it could stop sky diving taking over my life.

That and I can jump at netherevan (spelling?) in the UK and try and wing it as "training" so I could get paid to jump :D

------

oooo... found out the second closest DZ to me (weston) runs AFF for £1200 (usual £1350) and tickets to 13000' for £13 (usual £19) becuase I am military (reservist)

Kit hire is also half price. I think I am in love.

Although I could go to perris and do it for £800 becuase of the strength of the pound.

------

If you want to but gear wait till you know you will be in this for some time. Its a shit pile off money most people buy seond hand so it depend on what you want. where you want to end up size wise. Over all you are cheaper buying in the states for new, depends on currency exchange rates but you would pay about £1800-£2200 currency dependant for complete rig container/main off choice/reserve(AAD not included)

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun