skydivamegan

rig purchase traditions and rituals

Hey there,

I have a question for all the jumpers out there regarding rig purchasing and the rituals that follow. I've recently purchased my first complete rig and I've heard lots of "you have to do this before you jump it" suggestions from jumpers at my DZ. I was just wondering what the actual traditional "first rig" customs were and how they differ geographically.

Please post your own personal rituals and traditions here so we can all learn what the hell we are supposed to do with these rigs in order to be in compliance with the unwritten skydiving dogma protocol.

Thanks a bunch and I can't wait to read these.
Megan
PMS#529

Well... first you'll have to have a rigger take your new rig (harness / container & reserve free-bag) and reserve parachute and assemble, inspect and pack it... probably install an AAD too (likely).

Then you'll also likely be having a rigger put your main canopy on the risers for you... properly route & tie off the toggles... attach the main D-bag, bridle and pilot-chute... and, lastly, help you hook-up the main risers / 3-rings to your rig if you don't know how to yourself.

At that point, you can pack the main, if you know how to pack. If you do know how to pack, but its the rist time you've ever packed a barnd-new canopy... make sure you invite folks to watch and help. ;)

As applicable... GO BUY BEER... for your first new rig... and your first packing a brand-new canopy.

A lot of times the first time a new rig / main is jumped, it is advised to just go do a clear-n-pull (i.e. sub-terminal deployment) to "set the lines"... I'm sure their may or may not be lots of arguments for and against this, so it may be more of a "tradition" then anything else... and it can't hurt.

GO BUY more BEER for your first jump on your new rig!

Enjoy!

OH yes yes yes. I bought the gear from a rigger and he is actually currently doing a few mods to it for me. It will be ready in 3 weeks or so. I bought a main with about 30 jumps on it and got the deal of the century.

A guy had this custom Triathlon made with a logo on it and then decided he didn't want it. It has ~30 demo jumps on it from people at my DZ and I snagged it for 600 bucks off the going price of a new Tri. I think an orange South African logo is well worth $600 bucks and everytime I look at it, I'll think of how many jumps $600 will buy.

At any rate-------all of the "rigger safety" things are taken care of. Its the beer and sleeping naked in the rig sorts of traditions that I'm interested in.

WOOHOO!!!
By the way----the container is a Javelin
PMS#529

When I showed up with my new rig, Patti told me a completely clean rig is just looking to get dirty by having a bad landing. She licked her thumb and put a bit of spit near the BOC. She said that since it was now dirty, I had no reason to get it dirty by f#cking up a landing. It has worked, because all my landings have been beautiful. (They were just fine before my new rig, but that takes away from her story)
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I bought the gear from a rigger and he is actually currently doing a few mods to it for me.

Mods? What Mods??

Well---the legs pads are about 4 inches too long and it has soft cable housings. He is changing to hard housings and shortening the leg straps. This is an older Javelin with very low jumps. Its like buying a car from a little old granny that was only driven to the corner a few times for a great price, you know??

And yes, the grommet is covered.:)
PMS#529

... I suppose you could add to the list of useful & naked advice you're getting... "Wear it, while naked, and having sex with you S.O."

:D

This is actually more tempting than you realize as there are a few at my DZ (who shall remain nameless as they may currently be reading this) that I'd like to tag.

Hey guys, whats up?
PMS#529

: My suggestion would be to make out with the sexy voiced sales rep who gave you advise on what canopy to buy
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

never mind Karl, he's mildly retarded:D

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

My suggestion would be to make out with the sexy voiced sales rep who gave you advise on what canopy to buy :P

I'll be happy to make out with said sales rep but he must buy me dinner first as promised with Triathlon purchase.
AND-----------he must promise to talk dirty in that HOT south african accent of his
Karl, you hotty you.
PMS#529

WOOHOO!!!
By the way----the container is a Javelin

So what was the point of sending me a pic of a multi coloured Vector3 that you said you ordered?:S
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?