huey

jumping a chopper

Was that an R-44 ( four seat) or the 22 with just you and the pilot?

Probably an R-44. Really, I have no idea. I heard someone say the word 'Robinson'. There was a pilot and three (small) seats, so they could take three jumpers at a time. Someone commented that it was powered by a rubberband and not a turbine. I didn't care.

I've spoken with a helicopter service near me that flies an R44 (4 seater) and they said that according to the manufacturer you can not put a negative load on the skids (i.e. hang from them) in flight. Does anyone know anything more about this?
Egad, A BASE life defiles a bad age.

The reason I ask is my DZ in SW Florida is having a boogie and I am Bringing an Alouette II wich is a 5 seat turbine helicopter and am wondering if I will end up flying much.

Also would you jump it more than once on the same weekend or is it a one shot deal?
"The Dude abides" - Jeff Labowski

I have a few Alouete jumps. They're perfectly sevicable as a jump craft if a little small. It's good fun. You'll probably do just fine at a boogie, but it's usually a one shot deal depending on price. If you could do it cheap enough I would do hop and pops all do long, but it's usually two tickets around here. Not worth the four or five thousand feet I get.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

I jumped it once, it was me, the pilot, some girl along for the ride, and another jumper. You definitely get the sensation of falling that you dont really feel leaving a plane. Only went up to a little above 4,000 feet. I can't wait to do it again, next time want to hang on the strut B|

I've spoken with a helicopter service near me that flies an R44 (4 seater) and they said that according to the manufacturer you can not put a negative load on the skids (i.e. hang from them) in flight. Does anyone know anything more about this?

Here in deepest darkest Africa we often use choppers of all kinds on our demos including R44's. One of our airshow circuit acts uses them for their Acro Paragliding Stunt as well - see attached pic

Anything is possible ;)
---------------------------------
www.skydiverustenburg.co.za
www.skydiveqatar.com

A few jumps from the Alouette. It's very cool to climb around outside and watch all those doo-dads in the engine compartment spinning and pulling and flailing around.

In general, helo jumps are a novelty that is fun for a couple times, then not so much, when you consider the price. The exception was the Bell 412 that used to fly at WFFC. That was such a strong, overpowered aircraft, and the pilots were first rate. They would give a ride before jumprun that would curl the hair on Chuck Yeager. B| After that, the jump was almost anticlimactic. I never got tired of flying in that baby, I just ran out of money :(

Just keep an eye on the video dudes in your takeoff area. >:(

Kevin

That is wild looking. So the paraglider guys are deploying by dropping away from the skid? Do they take a reseve with them? You could not do that in the States, since the rigs are not TSO'd.

Yip the deployment is incredibly fast and there is minimal stress on the PGs.

They have normal paraglider reserves which I am sure will be fine for the type of mal they may experience.

These jumps are applied for and approved 'outside of normal skydiving activities' so I guess TSO not relevant although they are technically skydiving after they deploy the release. Our regs regarding demos, airspace classification and the CAA authorisation process differ from the US anyway but there are still certain requirements from our CAA regarding throwing something / somebody out of aircraft here - still a bit of a grey area ;)

Cheers
G
www.skydiveqatar.com

Crosskeys flies an Allouette, or at least they used to.

I've jumped theirs a few times when its gone on tour to the midwest.

It's a little cramped in the back seat with a rig on, but definately fun!

I've also jumped a Bell 412, and that was just a riot, partly because of the ride the pilot was willing to give. That opportunity seems to have dried up for now, hopefully Rod will come back to us some day.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I've jumped both the MI-8 (very nice!) and a Squirrel (sp?) several times.

Not quiet sure why you get crap alti on most helis in the UK - both these went to 13k+ at literally warp speed for £12 and £28 respectively. B| We chucked a 4 way out the latter, and, well, lotsa stuff out the Mi-8!

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

I have at least 20 jumps from Alouetes. We jumped them at the Panama City, FL PST meet and at the Wildwood Beach PST. We had four jumpers onboard every load.

Chuck

I jumped the one that showed up at Lost Prairie a couple years ago... the guy barely got it off the ground... and had to set it down and had two of us get out... density altitude at LP when its 90 degrees was very limiting ..... and it could only haul two jumpers that day.

I have jumps out of quite a variety of rotor wing craft...I have to say the Alouette was probably the least powerfull.

I've jumped both the MI-8 (very nice!) and a Squirrel (sp?) several times.

Ooo, yeah! Mi-8's. We jumped out of some of those in Mexicao a few years ago, the Acapulco Boogie. 13K in a tailgate helicopter bigger than a Twin Otter, landing on the beach, and Mexican food and cervesas every night. That was a boogie to remember. B|

I've jumped a Bell 206 L3 Long Ranger III once. Great experience, the feeling when exiting can't be compared to getting out of a plane. You're just falling.

Definately going to do it again. Or a hot-air balloon, whatever opportunity comes first. ;)
»Somewhere between the lies and truths borderlines get shady.
Somewhere between the yesses and nos you can find the maybe.«

I have jumps out of quite a variety of rotor wing craft...I have to say the Alouette was probably the least powerfull.

Most of the alouette II's are 3130 models and have only 400 HP my alouette is a later model built by aerspatiale
called a 318c and it has 530hp It's also much quieter and burns alot less fuel. so I don't think I'll have any problem with 4 jumpers.;)
"The Dude abides" - Jeff Labowski

Most of the alouette II's are 3130 models and have only 400 HP my alouette is a later model built by aerspatiale
called a 318c and it has 530hp It's also much quieter and burns alot less fuel. so I don't think I'll have any problem with 4 jumpers.;)

2s are no problem for jumping but I would prefer 3s when I need to shoot something...
V
www.skydiveqatar.com