Skylark

How many jumps before you purchased your own rig?

Go mine around 60ish.

I decided to just rent until then as I wanted to be able to get down to a canopy size that was around a 150. I had been using a PD170 before then and didn't want to buy one as I thought I'd get board.
No point in buying a 170 when I culd have aited for a few jumps and got a 150 that will last me ages.

Apart from the minging colors my Saber is alright, the J1 container has it all and is great!

First rig at 30 jumps, was using free gear, wanted something that the flaps would stay shut. Mirage M05 USED.

Second Rig. 125 Jumps, Javelin NJ, cause I wanted something smaller to go with my Nitron 120. also USED (anyone want too buy it? its a nice C-18)

Third Rig 300 Jump Javelin RS Odyssey, also USED off Sunpaths website.

Fourth Rig 700 jumps, Javelin RS Odyssey, also USED off sunpaths website. Will be here in less than 2 weeks.

Moral of the Story. Buy USED not only do you get it sooner (like 0-2 weeks) its ussually significantly cheaper.

Canopies:
Fury 200 (club gear) (used)
Pro 170 (club gear) to go into Mirage. (used)
Nitron 120 to go in the Javelin NJ (this one was new, but it was 50% off)
Velocity to go in the Javelin RS (used with 3 jumps)
Jedei to go in the backup rig (used 1000 jumps)

Moral, Buy Used.

Reserves. 1982 GQ securities X210 to go in mirage (came with it)
PD 113R in the NJ then the RS,
Mini Cricket in the NJ soon to be RS.
All Used!!! USED can be very very good.

Moral of the Morals: USED USED USED USED = good good good good.

;)B|:);):)

--

Jonathan Bartlett
D-24876
AFF-I

Other!!!!! I only had 29 when I bought my setup, but with a 193 ft^2 main, loading around .9:1, it wasn't much of a transition!!!!

I've talked to people who had like 10 jumps when they bought their own gear, just had to put it in the closet until they were cleared for it!!

sds
=========Shaun ==========

Just to bump the old thread up and for lack of anything else to do, I'll say that I bought my rig while still not having done AFF 1. Altho by the time it finally got shipped overseas (from the USA / Canada), I was already past AFF 5, so once I was off AFF and with a few jumps on bigger rental, I was able to use my own gear: a Hornet 170 which serves me up to day, and a Raven 181.

So, I went to do AFF in November, but the weahter never cooperated till the end of March. I did plenty of reading and hanged out on DZ a lot. Plus, it seemed like I wouldn't find anything better than Hornet price/quality-wise anyway, and I need the container to last only about 150 jumps, after which it can rip apart and I wouldn't care (it's an old design 1992 EOS retrofit for Cypres) :)

Saving for new atm.

I test jumped a used rig and bought it on jump number 14. This was back in 1994, I think, before coaching, before A-license proficiency cards, etc.

I graduated AFF on jump number 8, rented gear for some solos and 2-ways until jump 13 and then bought my own, ratted out, old (even then), and downright scary gear.

Hay Lou, that old rig wasn't scary ( of course it wasn't on my back;)) That was some high tec shit in its day! now your new one is scary, only because I like it and would love to buy oneB|
----------------------------------------------
"Thats not smoke, thats BUCKEYE!!"
AQR#3,CWR#49

I bought my rig around jump 18 or so.

It was a good deal, was exactly what I needed, and for a good price

Silhouette 190, new reline, 800 jumps, 1999
PD 176 reserve, 2 rides, 1999
Javelin that fit me well, and was nice colors, 1999
Cypres with 4 years left

$1800.

heh, you need more options on there, so i didnt vote.

I ordered a mirage when I had around 13 jumps.
I also paid for my A license (aff progression) in full, on my first trip to the dz, before I had made a single jump.

I just knew.:)

and im soooooooo glad I was right! lol becuase it would have reeeally sucked if i didnt like it lol.

heh, you need more options on there, so i didnt vote.

I ordered a mirage when I had around 13 jumps.
I also paid for my A license (aff progression) in full, on my first trip to the dz, before I had made a single jump.

I just knew.:)
and im soooooooo glad I was right! lol becuase it would have reeeally sucked if i didnt like it lol.

I paid my STP program in full as well. Ordered my Mirage when I had 23 jumps.

89 jumps and counting this month...should be able to make it 100.....weather looks good.

Kris.

jump 32, 4 jumps after i finished RAPS, i'd been looking for a second hand rig, just lucky that i found one that was perfect for me so quickly.

What's the point in waiting a long time from getting your A licence.... you'll just have to pay every jump to rent gear!

60ish...

Spent ~30 jumps before that downsizing (to the 150 my instructor/DZO recommended for me), then got a good deal.

Main reason was that the DZ charged rental on a per-jump basis, and rental was about 1/4 of a ticket, and that there was only a 190 as smallest rental and too many students. Overall four student rigs and sometimes 6 students...

I bought used gear though, since i thought it wouldn't hurt as much to do "the early years" on a used rig.

Last year at 330ish jumps, i got myself my custom Wings, because i know i will jump that for . It can take any canopy that i could think of downsizing to ever, but there will be no need for it as i can see of now.
It was not as expensive as a Mirage, and saving that money made for a number of jumps...
B|
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

I bought and paid for mine at around 40 jumps (Mirage G3 170/150 system) but my CI asked me to wait till 50 jumps before i jumped it in Johannesburg (we're 5000ft above sea level). :)

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I had zero jumps when I purchased my own gear. To jump with the Tampa Skydiving Club, you had to own your own gear then. I bought a B4 packpack with a candy stripe/28' round in it and it came with a chest 24' reserve. The club pres., Warren Kauffman made me a sleeve and modified it into a single T (later changed).
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

Two. It was a complete rig PC and 24 foot flat in a Cross Bow.

I jumped it reconfigured conventional on jump 4. (static line)

Oh, and it cost $200.00 complete.

B|
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

Got mine at around 30 jumps. Was probally a few less than 30 when I got it. Don't know for sure but I didn't want to pay rentals.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I ordered my first rig when I had 7 jumps. I jumped it for the first time on jump #12 (The first weekend I got it).

Talon with a Swift + reserve and a Raven II main.
No RSL, No AAD.

They did however make me wear a helmet.;)
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Didn't order my mine until I just recently started jumping again after a three year layoff. Before that I was too broke and didn't jump often enough to buy one.

I think I had around 75 jumps when I ordered it. I didn't get it until a month ago when I had about 110 jumps.