b_dog

What's the purpose of a hop and pop?

The fun to cost ratio is probably the best deal at my dz... especially when you turn it into a hop.... delay delay delay.... pop.

Smoking them down is one thing, what I love is backfly exit straight into half backloop and deploy head down.

It's such a fun smooth flow - my absolute favourite quick, no hassle skydiveB|
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I do Hop & Pops when to avoid the long ride to altitude when i'm at a C182 DZ.

Ew, me too. I never want to go above 8500 in a C-182 again, at least not without packing a lunch and having a good book to read. :P

roger THAT

I developed a saying over the years...
" I'd rather take an Otter, freefall for 20 seconds and find myself at 9,500 feet....
than to take a cessna, sit in the plane for 20 Minutes,,, and find myself at 9,500 feet."B|;):P:)My early logbooks are loaded with Hop and Pop
jumps....It was a quick and inexpensive way to fine tune accuracy approaches, and knowledge of canopy control in general....
Now it's great when the ceiling is low.... Although In todays era of AADs...
better not to "hum it down"...B|B|;)like we used to.................

jmy

I seen then. I can understand the training purpose of a hnp.

Personally, my interest in skydiving is centered around the freefall aspect of it. I'm not too hyped up about the canopy part of it all. Yes, I KNOW the dire importance of practicing deployment and canopy skills so I can get back home safely once the main launches. I'm saying that, for me, the real thrill of it all is mostly in the freefall part. I guess a lot of experienced skydivers like to have high-performance canopies so they can do swoops and stalls and what other neat maneuvers there might be. But once I pull the cord, all I care about is landing without bruises. A hnp seems to me to be a half-skydive which sounds like you're getting short-changed, but as it probably is an important training tool, I accept it's necessity.

As for doing hnps when the weather is too bad for full skydiving, that's why I love living in southern CA. Weather is nice almost completely year-round.

BDOG,

I totally hear you. I relate well to what you said because I said the same thing almost verbatim. Once you get your "own" canopy and learn to actually fly it you will probably change your mind. Not that it will make you want to do hop n pops all the time, but you will start to enjoy the canopy ride. Heck, you might even open at 13K and have fun doing it. If you ever take a canopy course (highly reccomended) they will generally have you do Hop N pops from 5000ft.

I did the static line course when I first started skydiving and my first jump was from 3,000ft. When I moved to california and jumped from a King Air I was hesitant about 13.5K. Have fun with the hop n pops!
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

A real Hop n Pop is from 2000 ft.

3500 ft. is a 12 second freefall.

Sheesh! Kids these days!

When I did my first SL jumps, I only had 2800'.

Years later I was at a little Cessna DZ one day and we had a cloud layer at 3500'. Four of us were so itchy to jump that we amused oursleves by doing "4-way speed stars" from 3500'. And we were all pulling by 2000'.:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Oh, believe me, if those engines fail, you won't have to convince me that bailing out is a good idea.

The purpose of the HnP in the training isn't so much convincing that you should get out. It is training you to get out stable and deploy in a relatively short time period.

Personally, my interest in skydiving is centered around the freefall aspect of it.

Then treat those H&P as exit practices. Its the one part of the freefall window that the most difficult to master.

Make it fun to to able to exit in various positions, present, and get stable quick. That can add up to 15 seconds to your working time if you do RW.

Talk to your instructors on what exits to practice.
Remster

[QUOTE]The purpose of the HnP in the training isn't so much convincing that you should get out. It is training you to get out stable and deploy in a relatively short time period.[/QUOTE]

Obviously. I was just being tongue-in-cheek.

"Oh, believe me, if those engines fail, you won't have to convince me that bailing out is a good idea."

I think the hop n pop became mandatory for graduating AFF after an engine failure over Elsinore in the DC-3 at about 4000 feet. Pandemonium in the back as a bunch of AFF grads refused to get out because it was "too low to jump safely." I was flying that load.
Zing Lurks

Oh and currently for your A License, you need a Hop and Pop from 5500' and one from 3500'.

There fixed it for you. ;) Only need the one for an A license.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

They're required AND lots of fun too. If you want to make it even more interesting, do your hop-n-pop and your unsupervised packjob jump at the same time :)

I did that and it was SWEET.
-Rainier

Sparks Brother #1 // "I vaguely heard someone yell "wait!" but by that point i was out the door." Quote from dz.com somewhere

Depending on your dropzone they can be cheaper so you can spend every last little bit of money you have. (I just started packing when I did the H&P too.)

You: Reach into pocket, "I only have $6.50, what can I get?", while staring at manifest.

Manifest: Pulls calculator from drawer, "That will get you 1,450ft.", while staring at you with a crazy look.

You: Drop money onto counter, "I'll take it.", while smiling like a crack addict who just got another fix.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Oh and currently for your A License, you need a Hop and Pop from 5500' and one from 3500'.

There fixed it for you. ;) Only need the one for an A license.

I don't know what A Card you are looking at, but I just got my A, and in category F, there are TWO clear and pulls required: one from 5500', one from 3500'.

Ew, me too. I never want to go above 8500 in a C-182 again, at least not without packing a lunch and having a good book to read. :P

i dunno, the tubine cessna at my dz get up there pretty quick

Yep, and when they hang a Pratt & Whitney PT-6 on the front of a C-182 I will gladly go to 12,500 feet in it. Are you thinking of the C-208, commonly called the Caravan?

"Oh, believe me, if those engines fail, you won't have to convince me that bailing out is a good idea."

I think the hop n pop became mandatory for graduating AFF after an engine failure over Elsinore in the DC-3 at about 4000 feet. Pandemonium in the back as a bunch of AFF grads refused to get out because it was "too low to jump safely." I was flying that load.

Ah, the voice of experience. B| Thanks, Zing.

To be able to fly high performance wingsuits maxed out the entire flight. You just can't max these suits from full altitdude without getting tired, real tired. But from 4500 we can get times close to what FFers get from full altitdude.

Ya can if your not a wussy....... ;):D

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

[QUOTE]Pandemonium in the back as a bunch of AFF grads refused to get out because it was "too low to jump safely."[/QUOTE]

So they figured remaining in a possibly crashing plane would be the better idea?

And wait a second...there's TWO types of "A" licenses? How do we know which one we'll get at our DZ?

[QUOTE]Pandemonium in the back as a bunch of AFF grads refused to get out because it was "too low to jump safely."[/QUOTE]

So they figured remaining in a possibly crashing plane would be the better idea?

And wait a second...there's TWO types of "A" licenses? How do we know which one we'll get at our DZ?

Learn how to reply properly to the person your quoting..... ;)

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com