Blahr

Winter protection

Howdy,

Maybe this should be in the gear forum but since its really clothing I'm asking about I decided to put it here.

I'm interested in finding if there are any specific companies that specialize in winter skydiving gear.

Specifically I'm interested in Thermal underwear that
might have a long turtleneck like thing that can cover
my neck while I'm jumping.

If not, then something that can cover my neck and go up into my helmet so that there is no exposed skin.

Any suggestions?

Chris

Get a Balaclava - you will look like a twat but you'll be a warm twat.

Its basically a clasic ski mask but with one big hole for your face instead of individual holes for eyes and mouth.

You can get nice thermal ones from most mountineering stores.

clicky ;)

http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/pages/moreinfoa.asp?RecordID=DHGCID&companyid=880

http://www.sportswarehouse.co.uk/acatalog/Balaclava.html

the first one gives you a nice one + links to some of the other thermal gear you ask about and the second link gives you a very good pic of a balaklava.

(Im trying to get something like this myself at the mo - gets cold in england at altitude)

I like to wear a light weight, zippered turtle neck under my sweater. While riding in the plane, I zip up the turtle neck, then pull on a fleece neck warmer. Then I tighten my chin strap on the neck warmer, to prevent it from blowing over my eyes.
Finally I strap on a tandem student to break the wind.
Hee! Hee!
Also visit motorcycle shops as they sell a variety of neck warmers and balaclavas.

When jumping in the winter up north, I used to wear....

THIS

and...

THIS

under my jumpsuit. On the really cold days, I'd also wear thermal underwear under this stuff. Be sure that before you jump you put all this stuff on, then put your rig on, and make sure that you have freedom to move the way you need to to get to all your handles.

Mike

the stuff aviatrr wrote about seem very cool.
for the neck you can get these motorbike thing which cover chest and neck/chin, but do not go too high... cause if you want to wear your helmet... unless you have a real flexible helmet (or head) :P
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

Military surplus kicks ass in this since!

The poly-pro underware (long johns) are just like you described and the poly-pro baclava kicks ass for winter jumping. Those together will keep you warm and cozy, without restricting your movement.

As for you hands, the trick is to keep warm without restricting too much feel and movement. A trick you can do is to wear latex gloves under your normal skydiving gloves...that'll cut the wind and keep your hands warm.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I just bought myself a really nice pair of gloves in preperation for jumping this winter. I saw them in a shop in blue but bought on line in black (vain I know)

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/extremities/gloves1.shtml

Take a look at the "sticky windy gloves". Look like they're exactly what skydivers want - grip on the palm/fingers, thermal and windstopped.

They cost £30inc shipping and were delivered the next day!

Goto a ski and snowboard store - my personal favorite winter jumping solution is full fingered bicycling gloves that I got from Performance bike shops - they are the neoprene style, great mobility and good feel (for small details such as pull time and cutaways ;)) I just wear my snowboarding long underwear (did this in Wisconsin!!) along with my full faced helmet (long underwear under a jumpsuite of course). I was warm no matter what.

Good luck...

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Specifically I'm interested in Thermal underwear that might have a long turtleneck like thing that can cover my...

OK, I've read about naked jumps here on dropzone but what about naked winter jumps?

And do they make this Balaclava stuff with a long turtlneck like thing that can cover other body parts?

;)
Crazy Ivan and the Crew (2005-2006)
Team Insane (2004-2005)
Insane in the Airplane (2003-2004)

I'm lucky, I have a natural winter coat. In fact, I really can't take my shirt off in public, due to all the Sasquatch sightings that invariably occur. ;)
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

OK, I've read about naked jumps here on dropzone but what about naked winter jumps?

I know a guy who jumps in Wisconsin that has done at least one naked jump a month for probably about 2 years now. So, yeah, it happens.

gets pretty cold here in Wisconsin. A bunch of the guys, myself included, use thermal underwear under sweats and for the hands we wear winter mechanics gloves. Your local Sporting Goods store can help with the thermals, and any local auto parts store can get you the winter mechanics gloves. Thermals are good insulators, but don't restrict you movement, and the mechanics gloves are made to be less restricting for obvious reasons. The neck thing is up to you. I personally use a dickey for downhill skiing.

Don't tell me I can't! I already know that! Haven't you seen my x-rays?

Another good option for gloves are scuba gloves. Mine are thin neoprene with a leather lined palm. Very warm down to 25 above.

I have been using those as well. They seem to keep my hands fairly warm, but they have no grip on them at all, which is kinda important if you have to regularily climb on a cessna strut.

I've heard good things about Neuman Tackified gloves... anybody use them?
Has anybody tried the winter edition of them? I would think they would keep your hands warmer, but do you still have enough feel in them to grab handles, etc?

MB 3528, RB 1182

Just get some long johns, or those tight thin thermal underwear things for skiiing. Those things ROCK!! For your neck and stuff, I can't remember the name of them, but it's kind of a ski mask that just wraps around your neck and goes up to your nose. Those'll keep ya nice and warm. B| Winter makes for great flying!!!

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

The fanciest gloves and boots are useless if your body core gets chilled, 'cus then there is no warm blood available to keep fingers functioning.
Long johns help, but the best way to retain body heat is covering your head and neck.
One pound of insulation on your head is more valuable than ten pounds of insulation on the rest of your body.

watch the sticky or tacky football gloves out there. i know the tacky football gloves stick too nice to nylon RE: jumpsuits. i'd hate to be going for my reserve and not get my thumb under it as its snagging my suit. i like "wet weather golf gloves" for the moment. leather, and a treated leather palm for grip in wet weather (not that thats needed...) which provides just the sweetest grip and tight fit. not very warm mind you, but i am big fan of finger mobility at the expense of some warmth. i am down with the poly-pro undies too, and the balaclava. its going to be 33 at 9am at my DZ in this morning!