shortyj

planes and canopies?

My being a skydiver helped when I got my PPL too. :D Most PPL's I've had as skydiving students do a great job with canopy control and allow me to communicate with them using a common frame of reference.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Worked the other way for me...skydived, then learned to fly weight shift trike (hanglider with motor). Understanding winds, thermals, and being comfortable with recognizing altitude really helped. :)

Already being a pilot makes the flare easy to understand. I only have 3 jumps (hopefully more to come), but it really seemed to make it easier.

i agree, but the other way...when I land a trike, I do a power off landing (engine still idleing if I have to abort) I dive in at about 100 ft to get up airspeed, then flare out at landing, having pently of speed above the stall speed of the wing. We always do this to practice for the eventual engine out landing (which I have had on hour 6). Transfering the knowledge from one discipline to the other is great.

I was wondering how many of you were pilots
before skydivers? Did your training as a pilot help when you learned to fly your canopy?:)

I guess it did. Certainly meant I had less to learn in ground school since I didn't have to spend time thinking about flying a pattern or how windsocks work or anything else that I guess might overload a complete whuffo.

The actual dynamics of piloting a student canopy are incredibly simple so I don't think piloting experience will put you that far ahead of the curve, but for theory, judgement and peace of mind then prior aviation experience probably will give you a slight edge.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I was a pilot for five years prior to skydiving. It did help me understand a lot and the instructors actually had me help demonstrate the patterns while they talked. Seemed good for them, made me nervous and leery of teaching new students something someone else technically should be teaching.

As for the landing flare, being a pilot hasn't helped me. I still have trouble landing but I think there may be a mental block as I was doing landings better before I got hurt from a landing accident.

Good luck!

David

before skydivers? Did your training as a pilot help when you learned to fly your canopy?:)

I had ASEL and glider ratings. Absolutely it helped. I already knew how to estimate altitude without looking at the altimeter, how to recognize the wind direction, how to fly a pattern, how to recognize the likely touchdown spot ("the accuracy trick"), how to recognize when to flare, how NOT to overcontrol, and there was just general comfort with being in the air. Although I had a radio when doing my student training, I don't think the instructor ever spoke to me.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

For me, it worked both ways. I had about 2000 jumps when I learned how to fly - my demonstration accuracy experience made landing a lot easier. Putting the numbers in the right spot on the windshield and adjusting my approach until they stayed in that spot and got bigger and bigger was familiar to me.

The other way around, learning to fly helped me understand canopy flight better from an aerodynamic perspective. I was better able to teach students as a result. I also learned about other useful resources like AWOS/ASOS recorded telephone messages to get real-time weather updates. If the weather is iffy at home (35 minutes from the DZ), I call three nearby airports' ASOS numbers, check the forecast online at usairnet.com, then make a decision to drive to the DZ or not.
Arrive Safely

John

As a private pilot, the many previously-mentioned items apply.

Also, there's the mindset:

Pilots learn to try to always think ahead to evaluate hazards, and they plan & practice for all sorts of emergency scenarios. This transfers very well to skydiving.

You also learn that people you know will die in the activity.

(Pilot & skydiving experience works the other direction too: Skydiving allows one to experience the air in a more direct way than many forms of aviation, leading to a better gut understanding of wind, shear layers, turbulence, micrometeorolgy.)

Being an aviation person before jumping also convinced my instructor to let me do a short AFF/PFF style jump at a time when basically nobody else was doing first jump AFF's. The rest of the class did static line, I got a short freefall from 6000' for the same price!

whilst i was never a pilot, I worked in aviation as a aircraft technican for 6 years on both fixed and rotary wing aircraft, and I also have a degree in aeronautical engineering. So I fully understood all aspects and concepts of flight, did this make me a instant canopy pilot, well no.
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

I had ASEL . I don't think the instructor ever spoke to me.

Ditto here. After deployment on my level one I was finding the stall and doing pretty hard toggle whips and loving it. I quit skydiving in the early 80's. A big part of it was that they wouldn't let me fly a ram air without at least a hundred jumps despite my experience.

After such a long lay off it was recommended I do AFF, I agreed. I landed, perfect flare, tip toe, at the feet of my instructors without any radio instruction.

They did have to remind me that I was to land in the student area and not the licenced jumper area, though.

One time I was training this really heads up student and when we got to the canopy flying portion of the training he told me not to worry about needing to train him how to fly, that he has landed on aircraft carriers at night and had more hours at the yoke then I could imagine.

Needless to say, after his first landing under a parachute he was ready to go into more detail concerning canopy piloting…

I cannot comment about being a pilot because I am not one, but from what I understand it is a little different eh?
-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

when my cousin went with me on my second jump I told her that I loved doing turns under the canopy since I was scared to do it the first time[:/]:D She said she would be scared it would collapse. That showed the more I understood how the canopy flies the more comfortable I will become.
Playtime is essential.

I'm a low-time private pilot and my expierence works both ways, skydiving and flying complemented eachother.

Being a pilot first, I understood ALOT more stuff in the FJC, like flying the pattern, winds, weather, etc. BUT, I could not get the hang of landing where I wanted to because I was use to being able to add or remove power. One of my instructors actually asked if I was a pilot because most pilots he has seen weren't acurate during the first 20-30 jumps until it clicked.

Now that I am a self-proficient skydiver, it has helped my landings in the plane, I rarely need to add power once I start removing it during the landing sequence..
http://planetskydive.net/ - An online aggregation of skydiver's blogs.

I'm a low-time private pilot and my expierence works both ways, skydiving and flying complemented eachother.

Being a pilot first, I understood ALOT more stuff in the FJC, like flying the pattern, winds, weather, etc. BUT, I could not get the hang of landing where I wanted to because I was use to being able to add or remove power. One of my instructors actually asked if I was a pilot because most pilots he has seen weren't acurate during the first 20-30 jumps until it clicked.

That's where the glider rating helped me!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I found that prior flight training was extremely effective-

Flying a parachute is a few big steps down in complexity than flying an aircraft. It took about 10 jumps to get the flare stabilized... and about another 15 to dail it in pretty well. I started experimenting with front risers at about jump no. 5 or so. My call on that one though...

There is a detail here... just because someone can fly an airplane/ glider dosen't necessarily mean that they are good at it (ie they lack practice), and thus will not have the skill base to transfer over. If you've developed the judgement (in various fields- timing the flare, pilot decision making, risk management) you'll have a strong skill set to apply to jumping. If you're 20 hours into a PPL, don't expect to be too far away from square one when it comes to jumping.

Because it's relevant: flight sim's do help... a lot. Learn how to fly 'normally' there, and then learn how to push it in the sim too. Crash. Find the limits. It hurts a lot less that way. Granted there are limitations, but the benefit is greater than nothing.

i started pilot training and stopped after I had solo'd and later logged about 39 hours. Piloting wasn't what I was looking for so I tried skydiving-this is the shit. The prior pilot training helped a lot for me. Landing a cessna with simulated power-out is very similar to landing a ram-air. Traffic patterns, VFR rules, head on a swivel, crosswind landings, etc are all covered in private pilot training and come into play while under canopy. However, it doesn't help in freefall at all.
"Remember the First Commandment: Don't Fuck Up!"
-Crusty Old Pete