SkymonkeyONE

26 years in the sport

I made my first skydive on January 24th, 1981 at age 17 on Moton Field in Tuskeegee, Alabama. That's a long time ago. Man, how times have changed! In that time I have scraped a lot of skin off of my feet (jumping in flip-flops) and legs, but the only bones I have broken have been two knuckles on my right hand. I learned on rounds and belly warts and landed in a swamp under my brand-new Pegasus (with two-pin Wonderhog) on my 12th jump. I remember test jumping 150 square foot canopies and having people tell me I was going to die and now wondering if I could get away with doing a tandem under a crossbraced 150. I have watched Burt Lancaster fly "the cape" in Gypsy Moths and now I have over 1300 wingsuit jumps. I have seen jumpsuits go from coveralls to very-floppy, to very-tight, then back to sort-of-floppy. I remember being forced into getting my SL JM rating with 100 jumps at age 19 and dispatching tons of new students at that experience level and thinking nothing of it. I jumped 18 years before I ever put an AAD in my rig and had no problem with that either. The skydives sure are better these days, but people were FAR more eager to take responsibility for their actions back then. Anyway, I am bored up here working a contract in Virginia and thought I would pass that along.

Chuck

I made my first skydive on January 24th, 1981 at age 17 on Moton Field in Tuskeegee, Alabama. That's a long time ago. Man, how times have changed! In that time I have scraped a lot of skin off of my feet (jumping in flip-flops) and legs, but the only bones I have broken have been two knuckles on my right hand. I learned on rounds and belly warts and landed in a swamp under my brand-new Pegasus (with two-pin Wonderhog) on my 12th jump. I remember test jumping 150 square foot canopies and having people tell me I was going to die and now wondering if I could get away with doing a tandem under a crossbraced 150. I have watched Burt Lancaster fly "the cape" in Gypsy Moths and now I have over 1300 wingsuit jumps. I have seen jumpsuits go from coveralls to very-floppy, to very-tight, then back to sort-of-floppy. I remember being forced into getting my SL JM rating with 100 jumps at age 19 and dispatching tons of new students at that experience level and thinking nothing of it. I jumped 18 years before I ever put an AAD in my rig and had no problem with that either. The skydives sure are better these days, but people were FAR more eager to take responsibility for their actions back then. Anyway, I am bored up here working a contract in Virginia and thought I would pass that along.

Chuck

I began on Oct. 4, 1980 and I can relate. I even had a Pegasus at one time. As a side note, I happen to be a Black jumper and I often wonder if there are any other Black jumpers out there who have been at it as long as I have.

I'm older than you, but younger in the sport. I'm in for 22 years on 02 Feb. Also started on rounds with 26 ft Lopo belly warts. 1st square jump on a Viking superlite.. with wooden toggles.

Can't claim the same WRT injury. Bust my ankle on jump 10, then my femur on 150 something.

Congratulations man. That's a long road.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I happen to be a Black jumper and I often wonder if there are any other Black jumpers out there who have been at it as long as I have.

-Alsee Richardson (jumping at least 35 years)
-James Givens from Fort Bragg, but jumps at Louisburg (jumping at least 20 years)
-"Big Cecil" Malone from Fort Bragg. Retired from jumping a few years ago, but started at least 35 years ago

There are QUITE a few black guys that jump at Raeford these days! Black doesn't mean anything to army guys, at least not in the units where I worked. We are all simply "green", regardless of skin color. The people who want to really live will all eventually make their way to the dropzone. Who cares what the other people do.

Chuck

Mark McNary (sp?) is a black jumper in S.W. Mich. that's been doing it for a long time, since the mid 80's. Maybe not quite as long as you. He was never a very active jumper but still jumps from time to time. I packed his rig last year.

My first two jumps my 19th birthday present from my parents. (Actually my father, my Mother wasn't home when I called to ask.:)) November 1978. My next jump and my real start was in June 1980. But between the two dates I had read every issue of Parachutist ever printed.B| They had them in the U. of Ill. library, bound and available on the open shelves. I'd stop in to read between classes.

1987 went into the top of a tree with both main and reserve still inflating (long story). Shattered the ankle end of my tibia and busted a chunk out of my fibula. Haven't had a pain free day since then.:| But 1900 jumps laters and not another malfunction.:)
<>>
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I started skydiving late in life. I was getting too banged up jumping and racing bikes, cars, skis, and boats.

Seventeen years and nothing more than bruises. Most of those acquired around the bonfire. Safest and most fun sport ever.

An old skydiver who wants to be an older skydiver, the greatest thrill is the diversity. I started out freakflying, learned skysurfing, rw, and crw, and now wingsuiting.

Fly fast and HAVE FUN!

You young whipersnappers with your Bat Suits and your Stopping Ropes...Back in my day, we jumped with a rock for a main and another rock for a reserve...and we liked it ! B|

Congrats on your anniversary. ;)

Kevin

Happy anniversary!

I hit the 26 year mark in March. I made my 1st jump in Littleton Colorado in 1981 at the age of 18. My 1st square jump was on a Strato Star after 45 PC jumps and 11 T-10 jumps. 7 of my 8 reserve rides were on rounds, I didn't own a ram-air reserve until the 90's.

The 80's was a blast, people would come out to the DZ and party rain or shine. We would jump in bad weather, nowadays most people will not even show up unless you can get full altitude.

I used a sentinal AAD on a belly wart for my 1st freefall jumps. After that I went over 2000 jumps with no AAD before I bought a cypress. I always forgot to turn it on so eventually I sold it and used the money to buy a new canopy. Maybe some day I will get another one.

It's hard to believe it has been 26 years.....

What a long strange trip it's been.

I have this faint memory of pulling into the treeline at Raeford and seeing a blue and orange Excalibur hauling ass downwind across the landing area . . . B|

Yep... he's an Auburn man... :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Chuck,
I think I may have wound up with one of your old canopies. Stiletto 120, kinda salmon and purple??
BTW do you know Tom Gade?

Have a good one...
Daniel
Protect Yourself and Your Loved Ones
Tasers - Pepper Spray - Stun Guns and more!
www.dallassecuritysupply.com

Wow - you must be OLD!
B|

I was reading the latest Scarachutist last night and saw a blurb on Lew Sanborn...I remember Lew talking about it last year, but seeing it again put it in a new perspective.

Back when I first started jumping, over 30 yeras ago...:$

D~1 already HAD 30 years in the sport! :oB|

Lew has made jumps every year since he started, THAT'S a record that will likely never be beat in OUR time! :)

...and best of all, now I don't feel so OLD! :D:D:D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~