browncow

airport security opens reserve

I'm basically to the point where I'm probably never going to try to get on an airliner with my rig, neither as a carry on nor as checked luggage for the chance my gear would be F'ed with by the TSA. Generally speaking, they're just to frikin' stupid and cannot be reasoned with... sure, you may get through 100 times without being noticed... and you may be able to explain things to some of them if questioned, but if you get one that's "not the sharpest tool in the shed", you're just plain screwed. [:/]

I'm basically to the point where I'm probably never going to try to get on an airliner with my rig, neither as a carry on nor as checked luggage for the chance my gear would be F'ed with by the TSA. Generally speaking, they're just to frikin' stupid and cannot be reasoned with... sure, you may get through 100 times without being noticed... and you may be able to explain things to some of them if questioned, but if you get one that's "not the sharpest tool in the shed", you're just plain screwed. [:/]

I'm thinking the same thing. Shipping Fed Ex insured sounds safer to me - especially if Mullins is flying the Fed Ex !

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I travel at least once a month with my rig(s)...

I ussually fly from SWF or LGA to ILM or MYR, and once to Orlando...

I always carry on with the rig in a travel case of some sort (hard shell or duffle bag -- both fit in over head). I agree with Cliff carrying over the shoulder just attracts attention and you have nothing to put the whole package in should you have to open the reserve and can't close it.

I tell the screener there is a parachute before it goes through the machine.

Ussually they ask me to remove the rig from the travel bag and then run the swab across everything.

Being polite with the TSA I have found goes miles!!!

Once, at Myrtle Beach, they closed security and called the bomb squad but didn't open the reserve or main; go figure. Security was closed for 10-15 minutes while they did a background check and waiting for an x-ray tech from the bomb squad to look at it.

Sometimes, they don't do anything past the x-ray.

You should be fine carrying on.

I wouldn't check it, but thats cause I've had a laptop stolen from checked bags before.

Best,
Dru
-
-
"Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical."

You guys with rigs that fit in rolling luggage have it easy.

ANyway, I don't mention it's a parachute until an issue arises. Last thing I want those genetic throwbacks doing is thinking.

That having been said, I've had trouble in Australia lately, they were doing individual bag searches AFTER the Xray, right before we got on the plane, and wanted me to open the rig.

First time, after an hour of waiting, they asked if they could lock it up in the crew locker. I said that's fine, as long as nobody will be touching it. No problems.

On the way back, they made me open the main pack tray, but didn't make me take the canopy out of the d-bag. Even that much pissed me off, and I wrote a letter to the APF.
cavete terrae.

In my opinion, when you carry your rig on, you should never want for anyone to know you have it.

Because hiding things always makes stupid people more comfortable, right? There's no threat from a parachute, no reason to be pussies about it and cowkow to a made up fear.

Skiers and golfers don't hide their equipment. Cyclists do, but only because they get hit with an obnoxious baggage fee for the bicycle.

I'll never check my baggage - virtually every time I fly I see one of those inspection cards inside my luggage.

Because hiding things always makes stupid people more comfortable, right? There's no threat from a parachute, no reason to be pussies about it and cowkow to a made up fear.

It doesn't matter that it is a made up fear. I accept the fact that there are stupid people out there that will likely get their panties in a wad. I wish it weren't so, but I think it is. As I said, as such incidents might happen, it will be bad for all of us.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

>There's no threat from a parachute, no reason to be pussies about it
>and cowkow to a made up fear.

Right. Just as there is no threat from an IR imager that looks very much like a gun. But if you wave it around near a security checkpoint, while telling people you have a cool imager, you still may miss your flight. On the plus side, you get the chance to feel self righteous as the plane full of pussies takes off without you.

actually, I suggested we were the pussies here. I called the fearless passengers stupid. Get your insults straight, man.

And come up with better analogies. Parachutes don't look like guns. The AAD may look bad to a new TSA guy, but they quickly learn how to do the examination.

in short, STOP LOOKING FOR MYTHICAL PROBLEMS. We have enough real ones with crowded landing zones.

And come up with better analogies.

I second the motion! :D:)

in short, STOP LOOKING FOR MYTHICAL PROBLEMS.

I don't care much if you get delayed because a nervous nellie gets the TSA to pay attention to you, but it might result in all of us getting more hassle or the revocation of the policy allowing rigs as carry on baggage.

I don't understand the reluctance to use a gear bag. Don't you want the use of the gear bag once you get to your destination? The gear bag will also allow you to carry some other items with you as well.

Sometimes you absolutely can't depend on getting it on as carry on, and you'll be left with putting it on as checked baggage inside a large clear baggie, which is much worse than a gear bag.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

>Parachutes don't look like guns.

They look like parachutes. Put the thing that looks like a gun (or a parachute) in a bag if you don't want to create a stink. Or create a stink if you want. Your choice. Since my goal when I travel is to get somewhere, rather than make a point, I generally put my rig in a bag.

I don't understand the reluctance to use a gear bag. Don't you want the use of the gear bag once you get to your destination? The gear bag will also allow you to carry some other items with you as well.

my rig is a lot bigger than your's, I'd venture. A gear bag that allowed carrying of other items would stand out and scream CHECK ME. I have carried a oversized laundry bag to put it in when I get onboard - prevents inadvertent handle grabs.

I guess I'm just not convinced there is a great risk of parachutes being banned as carry-on.

For me, it wasn't a reluctance to use it. My rig simply would not fit in a bag I felt would be small enough to carry on. The rig by itself was. Gear bag gets checked, no biggie. I have never been stopped with it (i'm sure its only a matter of time).

However, I will be looking into the BASE bags shortly to use as a carry on bag. I agree its better to keep it out of site.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

... they tried to take my weight belt.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Brian Wnuk returned - from the 400-way in Thailand - with the following advice: remove lead shot from your weight belt and stuff the empty belt in your gear bag.
At the far end, collect lead shot, small plastic bags and duct tape. Put measured amounts of lead shot in each bag (usually one pound per bag, maybe 1.5 pounds) wrap them in duct tape, slide them into your weight belt and go skydive.

I am about to fly commercially for the fist time since becoming a skydiver. All this info. is very useful to me. I knew about the cypres card and all, and have been given some advice from a skydiver friend on how to handle it if the subject of opening my reserve comes up.

Hopefully there won't be a problem with it as I am anxious to jump at a dz outside my home state:)
I'm leaving my hook knife at home though!:S

Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

histoy trivia:

I know 1 jumper who's reserve container was cut open with a knife, because of suspicion of coke trafficking. (I believe when he was going to the world championships in venezuela in the 80's)

Talk about a bad day

histoy trivia:

I know 1 jumper who's reserve container was cut open with a knife, because of suspicion of coke trafficking. (I believe when he was going to the world championships in venezuela in the 80's)

Talk about a bad day

At least he was TOLD they did it, the holes in the container weren't that easy to see I gathered. And they DID catch another guy with a "black backpack full of coke" :|

ciel bleu,
Saskia

What do you frequently fliers do with more bulky items like helmets? I can't imagine my bonehead would fit very well in any of my suitcases.

Put it on your head and call it your hat. B| Seriously, if you look at the airline's policy you're allowed to take a hat with you (in addition to your other carry-ons). :)
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon