pfloyd

Reason for your cutaway

Whats up, so far I haven't had a cutaway but I know its just a mater of time. My question is, when you had a cutaway, what do you think the reason was that caused the malfunction in the first place? Was it poorly packed, were you spinning at pull time? I am sure there are several contributing factors to a mal. Thanks in advance for sharing your experience with me!
My drinking team has a skydiving problem

Every single chop was from a spinner.

Four on personal gear due to tension knots and five on tandems. (Three line overs and two tension knots.) Replace worn line sets to avoid tension knots.

Oh, and one intentional using capewells and three rounds. (My first)
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

Many line twists due to a sloppy pack job. It looked like a streamer for a few seconds, and then stabilized as a very small canopy with about 10 twists in the line.

I chopped it promptly, and the reserve came out like a charm!

That was jump #21 for me, and I wasn't the one who packed the main...

Accidently stowed the extra brake line between the steering line and the riser. Normally would not have been a problem, but my other toggle was released by my slider. Canopy started to spin up and loaded the steering line to the point that it locked the toggle in place. Time I realized the problem I had run out of altitude and had to chop it.

1) hole in my canopy
2) intentional
3) pc in tow
4) spinner - line twists
5) spinner - tandem line twists
6) spinner - line twists (leaned too soon to try to get booties off...I hate booties)
7) spinner - no line twists, no toggle fire...don't know why. Pulled low already (still within legal boundries), so didn't wait around to find out.

1] stupid new guy stunt.........300 jumps,elliptical canopy, didn't turn all the way over after leading a tracking dive. Pitched on my side, spinning death ball:|

2]spinner

3] tension knots

4]tension knots shortly followed by violent spin

5]tandem, tension knots, nonviolent

6]tandem, tension knots, spinning but not incredibly violent

7]tandem, hard opening spinning death ride,hard cutaway.......thought I was gonna die!

8]no cutaway, jumping a web gloved wingsuit, couldn't locate main handle, my bad:S

9]tandem, tension knots, spinning pretty good.

I have terrible luck:ph34r:
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

Reason for your cutaway - NEW Quote | Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whats up, so far I haven't had a cutaway but I know its just a mater of time. My question is, when you had a cutaway, what do you think the reason was that caused the malfunction in the first place?

I was caught in the death spril. And I don't mean the life spril, the deathe spril....so I pulled the shroud line, and activated my secondary chute.

bsbd

Grant!!!!!

Since 1961, I have had more than 35 cutaways. Only about 20% spun. Way more than 50% were caused by parachutes that simply did not like to open. Packing errors caused about 4 each. Pack closures were also about 4. Low openings/low altitude another 6. Bad rigging 2. Brain lock at least 2. My reserve functioned perfectly except for once.

For a reasonable person excerising due care a cutaway is very rare.
Pat Works nee Madden Travis Works, Jr .B1575, C1798, D1813, Star Crest Solo#1, USPA#189,

1) last load on Sun., my normal rigs were on the floor. I grabbed my CReW rig. My CReW rig was ROL at the time. I took the two way low and then looked for my BOC.

2) my AR-11 was getting so tired, I thought I could get a few more jumps out of her before my new Jedei got here.

3) (my fav) I got out last, right after an 8-way, solo head down. Just after leaving, I could tell I had a problem. My right riser had gotten out and my toggle was about 6 ft farther away then it should have been. It didn't even make it 6ft off my back. Bag lock. the cool part was the fact that I didn't cut away I tracked over til I was above the 8-way. They had a camera guy. he pulled at 4ish. I tracked over about 100ft infront of him and screamed as I went by Pulling the cut away then reserve. He got it all on tape. so cool.

4) Borrowed gaer, last jump of the night, didn't check my handles. Took it low again and couldn't find the Fn handle.

5) Brake fire, borrowed gear, spinner.

6) I was planning on a new line set for the 89 at Rantoul. only 2 months away. The world takes on a different perspective when your canopy is well below the horizon, spinning at 2 or more revs per sec. cool. I had just packed the reserve the day before.

7) still planning on the new line set, now only a weekend to go. got to try out my new 109-MZ loaded at 2lbs pr. fun fun fun.

number 7 was round 6 at NPSL comp, July 03 I haven't had one since. I've made 1400 since.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

1)Stuffed a Starlite round in a double shorty Wonderhog, it did NOT want to come out.
2) Had a spinner on a Cobra 10(damn death canopy)
3) Had another spinner on Cobra 10
4) Broke 11 lines on Cobra 10
5) Toggle went thru keeper and wrapped around brake lines...
6) One intentional...

mals are funny to me I have had none in 500 jumps ever, but i always expect one. I have seen people go with 7000 jumps and have none and then may have a few in a week or something like that. I pack in bout 5-7 min don't screw with it too much and its worked great. I have seen a guy who is meticulous about his pack jobs have mals, and you know thats just the baffling part of it all. In a way mals are hard to make happen and in others they aren't. I do believe you MUST know how the canopy reacts to different packing i think that is huge because even though it could be the same exact brand and type you can almost bet the two will be different in the way they open and charcterisitics they may have. So i guess what the heckI don't know. Get with a good rigger if your worried about it and have them watch you pack and tell you what your doing, right, wrong, indifferent.
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

2 cutaways but 6 reserve rides...

cutaway with shot and a half capewells from an entangled french papillon mid 70's

cutaway while using a wonderhog with 3 ring release, from a strato-cloud with tension knot in the right side steering lines,, wouldn't clear...1980.....

4 non cutaway emergencies...( OK 3 of them were 'stupidity" :$ One was an emergency:P )

a. inability to extract main PC.:o gettin low. :( pulled blast handle... piggyback rig. late 70's
b. horseshoe , (twisted bellyband) :S bag out, some lines out, D bag stayed closed... pulled blast handle piggyback rig ....late 70's
c. dislocated right shoulder at exit...[:/] left hand reserve pull @ approx. 3000 ft javelin rig....2005
d. inabilty to extract main PC >:( . got low. :o pulled reserve left handed at 1,300 feet . javelin rig 2006;)

none since;)

jmy