northcave

Have you ever done a bandit Jump?

Your definition does not necessarily make it a bandit jump. By your definition all of the jumps into my back yard were bandit jumps. Also all of the Destin beach jumps.

I have been on a very high profile bandit jump somewhere in the southeast.[/repl

I believe what he means is any jump where a NOTAM was not filed, and ATC was not notified.

CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

As Fran York @ Fran's Star Ranch once said:

"Honey, if you're coming here to do business, I don't care how you get here. Just get here!"
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

You don't have to file a NOTAM. You need only to have the land owners permission and talk to ATC. They cancelled the NOTAM for the 4th of July jumps into my yard one year because of some jackass at flight service that didn't know his job. Actually cancelled all of them in the southeast region because they didn't have waivers on file.We jumped all day long and never heard another word about it.

Another I did was into a highschool football game. we had permission but that was it.

I haven' taken the time to research this yet...

My grandfather just finished building his own little plane and I was wanting to do a jump out of it, but was not sure on the logistics (or lack thereof). I assumed it would be a "bandit jump" as it is 200 miles from the nearest DZ, and it would just be me bailing out over out lake house...

Would it just be a matter of him being in contact with other traffic, as far as technical aspects go?....
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

Your definition does not necessarily make it a bandit jump. By your definition all of the jumps into my back yard were bandit jumps. Also all of the Destin beach jumps.

I have been on a very high profile bandit jump somewhere in the southeast.

Not exactly a bandit jump since I paid for it, but I had the pilot at a DZ near the beach let me out at a specific place other than the main LZ everyone was jumping at. I had friends in a boat waiting to watch me land so I got to do it, it was about 3 miles away from the main LZ on the beach.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I've often wondered the same. I've read the SIM about authorized DZ areas til I fell asleep with boredom and just figured to hell with it. I live about 2 hours away from 3 different DZ's and I have a couple pals who fly local to where I live and you know when you get the itch to jump its pretty bad so..... I have a huge area right out my back door that would be a great LZ but I figured it wasn't worth the hastle and figured it was just a cool daydream landing in my back 40.... or is it?

******Today is one day too late.********

By bandit jump, i mean any jump from a non DZ controlled plane no where near an official DZ. So anything from private planes, helicopters etc

You're going to have problems with this survey using that definition.

DZ-controlled airplanes are also privately owned. And DZ landing areas are often privately owned. So jumping from other privately owned aircraft, onto other privately owned property, really isn't much different. You just need to have permission of the property owner and follow the FARs. Just like at the DZ.

A better definition of a "bandit" jump might be one which is done onto property without the landowner's permission, or without following the FARs.

Did two of them in Okinawa in 1988, actually on one of the out lying islands off Okinawa. One out of a cessna 172 and the other out of a cessna 152. Landed on a Japanese muni airport and don't think anyone even saw me. A GREAT day and beautiful jumps right in the middle of the south China sea.

Jumped from a friend's 2 place ultralight. FAA tracked him down and ragged on him though. It was fun.

How did they know? Could they actually see you on radar? :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Jumped from a friend's 2 place ultralight. FAA tracked him down and ragged on him though. It was fun.

Naw, we had a rat fink at the airport that called FSDO. Still don't know who it was.>:(

And the radar thing? Don't know if you were serious or not, but ATC radar is not as magical as some may think. Especially with my enroute radar, you'd be hard pressed to spot a lone jumper leaving an ultralight. It would look a lot like random ground clutter. :)

Naw, we had a rat fink at the airport that called FSDO. Still don't know who it was.>:(

And the radar thing? Don't know if you were serious or not, but ATC radar is not as magical as some may think. Especially with my enroute radar, you'd be hard pressed to spot a lone jumper leaving an ultralight. It would look a lot like random ground clutter. :)

Ah... damn rats...

I knew it sounded far-fetched, but larger formations can be seen on radar, like big ways. Imagine ATC in Florida seeing a 747 sized blip moving 20-25 mph and wondering what the fuck is that...

Turned out to be the world record 85 way canopy formation. :D

i have a question.......what does ATC and FAR stand for and where can they be located.:S

i was under the impression if the jump was legit and legal and off of a designated DZ, then you had to have a DEMO rating? if i am wrong please elaborate.....:S

because, if all you have to do is notify some people, cant anyone, like myself with an A license :ph34r:, jump into a party or family event?

-jake

Step into my (sub)terminal Playground

I have a buddy that owns a few planes. He has agreed that if I can do it "legally" (as in he cant get in trouble with the FAA or anyone) he will allow me to jump from his plane. How do I go about doing that?
---------------------------------------------------

http://www.myspace.com/rave4funn