flyinchicken

A tandem for recurrency

Well with July zipping along I am finally able to have a full weekend of jumping thanx to my dad. My last jump was March 29th in Lake Elsinore, so all the nervousness that goes with being uncurrent will be part of the beginning of my weekend. Instead of doing an actual recurrency jump I was thinking of drilling EP's in the harness and going for a tandem. Basically get in the air and climatise myself, and while someone else has the reigns, mentally drill myself on em. I'm thinking it's a great idea for recurrency. I'm sooooo excited.
:)

"Diligent observation leads to pure abstraction". Lari Pittman

Instead of doing an actual recurrency jump I was thinking of drilling EP's in the harness and going for a tandem.

I can understand drilling EP's, but doing a tandem? Okay, maybe if you were a few years uncurrent, but March was only four months ago and it's not like you only have 25 jumps.

Seems like a waste of money that might be better spent on a pile of jump tickets. But you go on now...

If making a tandem is what you need to acclimate yourself back to skydiving mode, then that is what you need to do and there is no shame in that. Even though it is somewhat uncommon to many experienced jumpers to make a tandem after laying off for a few months, this may be exactly what you need to maximize your safety. Hell, I know really good AFF instructors who needed 12+ tandems and 30 student solo’s after that, so it takes what it takes for every individual…

I cannot think of anyone better than Scotty to get you acquainted with canopy control again (tell him I said happy birthday).
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Will do! I'll be doing my tandem with peedee, but trust me I'll be following Scotty around listening carefully to everything he says as usual. I won't have to pay full price for my tandem,(actually less than a recurrency jump). Then i just relax and take things in on my first jump back. Kinda like a warm up stretch before I begin jumping again. I like the idea of it. I am always so damn nervous on that first jump. Would be nice to just look, listen and think. Then bust out some jumps for the next two days.

I WILL be nervous and I want to relax, not stress myself back into jumping. I have a lot of other personal issues I am dealing with now that i am jumping with my father, It is added risk. I need to relax myself and begin jumping slowly. Why not a tandem to do this? I have no pride, i don't care if you or anyone else thinks I'm being a chicken(note my dz.com name). It's like going on short jog a few days before the marathon. i think I will enjoy it immensly, especially with a good friend strapped to my back.

if after 400+ jumps and only 4 months uncurrent you are that afraid of being in the air alone, than maybe you should keep your feet on the ground.
just my .02 im sure youll have fun regardless....

I do not believe it has anything to do with fear, more to do with knowing ones own limitations and selecting a path in life that best promotes safety and proceeding with ones lifestyle in a manner that is responsible for every individual.

Certainly, this person’s path and the course they are deciding to pursuit may not make sense to anyone else, but if that is what it takes to better ensure personal safety, then who are we to condemn such a course of action?
For instance, I have never done nor will I ever do a tandem as long as I can skydive for myself. As far as I am concerned, tandems are for pussies and old ladies, but I would recommend tandem progression to just about anyone who wants to take up skydiving simply because it is a very good and safe method of training for many/most individuals.
So is it a fact that tandems are only for old ladies and pussies?
Nope – just in my world, hence, if what was best for me and my personality applied to everyone in the world, there would be no tandems, just hardcore military-esque training, no student radios past the 3rd solo and required training and testing to renew a license every year that encompassed emergency procedures and life fire exercises under canopy including a successful 180 degree turn @or- 150’AGL, because this is how I go about my own personal training. I train like I do everything in life – hardcore…

Fortunately, I have learned to teach others how to skydive with much more understanding to the variety of needs that differ from each and every individual. The first couple years, I was pretty hardcore with students, but I have learned that empathy and understand breed safer skydivers in the long run and that took accepting that not everyone learns and trains like I do and that what is best for me (my way) is not best for everyone…

I do not know if I am a great, or even a good instructor, but I do the best I can so I can sleep well at night and if everyone’s opinion of who should and who should not be allowed to skydive or would likely be dead before reaching 100 jumps applied, I would have never progressed to the point of having the privilege of being able to teach others how to participate in this wonderful sport/lifestyle.

This sort of condemnation causes me to think of Gollum - man I wish Frodo would have killed that sorry little bastard, yet he (Gollum) ended up saving mankind!
Yeah I know, it is just a story, but isn’t everything?

If anything, I applaud the OP for doing what is best for their safety and not caring what anyone else thinks…

BRAVO!
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I'm kinda curious about the canopy you'll be jumping post-tandem. Will you be on a stilleto at 1.17 like your profile says?

If you've never done a tandem or haven't done one since student status it's kinda wierd, getting in a plane without a rig.

Hope you enjoy man, and get some good fun jumps in after!
I got nuthin

HIya lippy, I have a bit of a theory to share with you on this one. I have done 280 jumps on this canopy. I have muscle memory on this canopy. I can flat turn 180 degrees with it from very low altitudes, If I were to use a larger canopy, I would be changing one of the most important parts of my skydive, my landing. I won't change it because it has been the only canopy I have used for more than half of my jumping career. If this was a newer canopy, say 50 jumps or less I would go back to the size I had been using before. I have never been an agressive pilot so I'll just be flying my regular old pattern in. If I were to be off jumping for more than a few years I would definitely use a larger one but for a year or less no. My body and mind knows this canopy inside and out. I also weigh about 105 lbs now as I have been living life pretty frugally since starting my studio. So I'm pretty much 1:1 on it.
Cheers

I am not afraid of being in the air alone. Two years ago I spoke to my father for the first time in about 10 years. The reasons for this are no ones concern. Suffice to say, that i decided I needed to face a demon within that has been tearing me apart most of my adult life. I brought my father on a tandem, he has now embraced the sport and jumps regularly(he has 190 jumps in like two years an he's 55). One of the biggest dragons I have to slay in my life, within my soul, is dealing with my emotions and feelings when anywhere near my father, forget on a plane. Second the only relationship I attempted to have with a guy in 12 years was with someone who I got started skydiving and he may be on that plane as well. Everything that happened in that relationship stemmed from the pain I have held within me all my life. things I have not been able to let go of and I intend to do just that.
So yes the first time I get in a plane with my father and all of my painful childhood issues, I will be strapped to a good friend, relaxing, letting go of the past and welcoming the future, filled with sharing the sky, love, forgiveness and understanding with my father.
Deep? Well, that's me. =)
If it was just a bunch of skydivers on the plane I'd throw on my rig, drill my AP's n jump.

Well with July zipping along I am finally able to have a full weekend of jumping thanx to my dad. My last jump was March 29th in Lake Elsinore, so all the nervousness that goes with being uncurrent will be part of the beginning of my weekend. Instead of doing an actual recurrency jump I was thinking of drilling EP's in the harness and going for a tandem. Basically get in the air and climatise myself, and while someone else has the reigns, mentally drill myself on em. I'm thinking it's a great idea for recurrency. I'm sooooo excited.

Tandem??!?!

430 jumps, and its only been a few months since your last jump. In the US with a C license you wouldn't even be considered uncurrent till you have been 6 months on the ground.

Go freakin jump man.
__

My mighty steed

Personally i think you are overcomplicating things, over thinking and without sounding harsh or abusive... a bit of a drama queen.

Its just a skydive, its fun; its for forgetting problems.

Have fun with your tandem and have fun getting back at it.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Here in Norway, almost everyone are 4-5-6-7 months uncurrent when the season starts.

Not very tempting to jump with any of the tandem instructors, that I know are just as uncurrent as I am.

;)

What people usually do here is doing a solo belly and pulling high. And practice EPs and have a plan for what they're going to do in their freefall.

I was pretty scared before my first jump after 7 months, but after having practiced EPs and made a plan, I felt calmer, and on jump run, all my fear was gone. I just went out and had a great jump.

But everyone is different, and you just do what you feel comfortable about. This is just what worked for me.

I would say fear is pretty normal when it's been a while since you jumped.

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Yo Chris

Read the rest of my posts and you will see why. I am making sure that I am staying safe myself as well as protecting those i jump with.

I understand your motives.
The standard recurrency jump with instructor is designed to do just that.
Keep you safe. Make sure that you haven't forgotten the important things (like how to open your parachute) in a somewhat more safe environment.

If you blow it, you have an AFF instructor with you.

Doing a tandem isn't going to refresh you on what to do on a skydive because that tandem doesn't even remotely resemble a regular jump.

I got my A license a long time ago, amassed a total of 57 jumps, and then quit for 14 years.
I made a standard recurrency jump with an instructor when I returned.
You couldn't have forced me to do a tandem. They are for newbs and one time thrill seekers.

For sure I was nervous when I made my recurrency jump. Thats normal.
But I think its better to refresh your memory by doing exactly what you will be doing on a "normal" jump.

My 7.983 cents ;)
__

My mighty steed

Yo Chris

Read the rest of my posts and you will see why. I am making sure that I am staying safe myself as well as protecting those i jump with.

-------------------------------------------------------

Ive been watching this thread. I have come to the conclusion that.....with the problems cited maybe you should be on the ground until you can resolve this stuff.
The words of encouragement are laudable ...but....the fact remains that there are people that have no business jumping.
I am certainly not indicting the OP, although this persons reasoning makes them suspect.

I got my tandem rating in 87...and and have never experienced this.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.