mjhales

First Time Skydiving

You'll hear lots of arguments on this. Personally i think a tandem is a good choice for a first jump as it lets someone take in all the freefall and fun without the workload.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

You'll hear lots of arguments on this. Personally i think a tandem is a good choice for a first jump as it lets someone take in all the freefall and fun without the workload.

I tell people to do a tandem first. There's enough sensory overload just staring out of an open door at 13000ft. Freefall is something that should be experienced and enjoyed. You won't be able to do that if you have to spend the whole minute practising life saving procedures. JMHO

I did AFF on my first jump and I agree with others; I wished I had done a tandem first.

The sensory overload is enough to deal with without the additional workload of passing the learning objectives.

A tandem would let your daughter determine if she likes skydiving before dedicating the additional money and time to go through AFF.

If she does decide to continue, the tandem will count towards the necessary jump numbers to achieve her A license.

Why does she not want to do a tandem first? I work in a tandem progression method; my first preference is to take a student out on a first solo right after they do a tandem, like within an hour after. This way they are acclimated to the current wind conditions and more comfortable in freefall. And that is a working tandem where they are taught, not just taken for a ride.
I have taught in the AFF method as well and have never had a first jump student injure themselves

On the other hand, I have never done a tandem, and I know many many many skydivers who started out AFF that did not start with a tandem. .
Many...

As in a whole bunch...

I so not know exactly - which is statically "safer". There was a thread about this recently if you want to do a search, there is a search box in the upper right hand corner of the browser window for this site. There have been incidents with AFF and tandem. If she receives good instruction and is a heads up girl, all should be fine.
What DZ is she jumping at?

Let us know how it turns out.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Is this a bad decision? How risky is this?

Risky not at all. You get a whole days training. If you want value for money then the AFF stage one i feel is best. Here its around £350 for AFF1 and you get a whole day training and a jump. With the tendem you risk being thrown through the maifest of jump as fast as possible like all the other tandems on that day. You're just a number.

However andy is right, AFF 1 is a big sensory overload if you havent done a freefall before. Maybe thats half the fun!!!

I opted to go straight to AFF firstly for value for money but secondly because i knew i'd like it. I didn't need a tandem to prove that to myself.

But as for safety. Both are equally safe in my eyes.

I Think some people make the decision to become a skydiver before they actually skydive. I tried to get away with not doing my tandems, (2 ea.) and go straight into the AFP program at my Dropzone. They would not allow it. I think that was the wiser choice. I got to enjoy every aspect of the skydive. My second tandem I started cocentrating on the objectives of being able to save my own life. As someone mentioned above, the sensory overload she'll experience when she gets closer to the door will be overwhelming. My opinion is do the tandem first. But either way she chooses to go, IT'S ALL GOOD!!B|

See ya in a minute. Peace out!

My .02c

There are some people who really excel under pressure and some people who generally fold under pressure.

If she is the first type I think AFF is a good way to go as her learning curve will be much steeper.

If she is the second type then she will likely end up doing levels over and over until she gets comfortable in the air. If that is the case then a tandem would be the way to go.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

Can I suggest that you take a trip to a drop zone and chat with the instructors? You'll probably get a far better idea for the overall feel of the sport and they can put you at ease with all of the safety aspects of the sport.

We can tell you how safe that we think the sport is, but it's far better to talk to someone face-2-face and then you can gauge their answer from their body language and general demeanor.

I do hope that your lass enjoys the sport as much as a lot of us do...... You'll know when you see the grin on peoples faces at the DZ.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I am not a fan of the 1 time Tandem jumper. I believe it has done more to deteriorate the brotherhood of sport. I know not many people share this opinion, but it is my position.
With that said..I think that if anyone is considering skydiving then it is a good choice. Foremost, it allows them to experience freefall for a reasonable fee. Bottom line is that if they don't like the sensation, it may not be a sport of choice for them. So, I loke the idea of Tandems as an exposure to the sport. It is a really nice "ice breaker".

BTW - Be gald she told you. My wife went through an entire AFF course, had her A license bought gear and everything before her father knew. So what? Well, she did it all on his credit card that he gave her to use while in college.

:o:P;):D:D

Thanks all for the great feedback. Seems to be a mix of opinions, but the feedback is really great.

She has decided to go forward with AFF for her first jump. Went through the training yesterday, but then got rained out from the jump. Not looking good on the weather today either. Probably have to wait until Friday now.

Jumping at ASC DZ northwest of Atlanta.

Has wanted to jump for years so is ertain she will like it and want to pursue further. Is good under pressure, so it sounds like this is not a terrible decision. Thanks again.

Be thankful she told you what she is doing. Most of us had to lie about what we did that day.:D Telling the truth was the risky bad decision.:o:)

The less you worry, the better she will be.

Truth.

+1

BTW - Be gald she told you. My wife went through an entire AFF course, had her A license bought gear and everything before her father knew. So what? Well, she did it all on his credit card that he gave her to use while in college.

+1

i'm quite happy i'm not the only one around that had to do this. i think my father would of ripped my head off. he still doesnt know. i might tell when i'm licensed, but not now anyways..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

My daughter will be skydiving for the first time this weekend. She has decided to do an AFF jump rather than a tandem. Is this a bad decision?

She'll have wasted an extra 1% of the year's weekends if skydiving isn't for her and if she likes skydiving will be more likely to repeat the jump and spend more money to get to her license than if she did a tandem first and got used to being in freefall without having to do anything.

How risky is this?

Standard skydiving equipment is more reliable than tandem equipment; although if she doesn't pay attentionin class and listen to the instructor under radio she could fly into obstacles while an experienced tandem instructor won't do that. Not doing as instructed can lead to bone breaking landings whether she's on a tandem or solo jump but there are more ways to screw up when you're in charge of all the controls.

I don't care what anyone tells you. Whether they have 50 or 10,000 jumps. It's better to do a tandem first.

There is so much sensory overload on the first several jumps you make. Not to mention you could panic if you have never experienced a sky dive. It is best to have some idea of what you are about to experience.

You could be the biggest baddest toughest strongest person on this Earth or the weakest nerdiest pansy and when it comes down to making the jump and landing safely, the tough guy is no more likely to even get out of the airplane than the pansy.

You just have no idea of how one person will react to the situation and a little panic could kill you.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

I kinda disagree with you on this one. There are some people out there who if they did a tandem could, and I emphasise could, be put off from doing AFF.

For this very reason I chose AFF - on the understanding that if I didn't like it, I could still say that I'd skydived, and was in control :S of myself from jump / pull height down.

It's upto the individual if you ask me - and if the individual is honest with themselves about coping with pressure etc they should be able to answer the question 'AFF or tandem for first jump?' themselves.

JMHO

Out of 10,000 feet of fall, always remember that the last half inch hurts the most — Captain Charles W. Purcell, 1932

I don't care what anyone tells you. Whether they have 50 or 10,000 jumps. It's better to do a tandem first.
There is so much sensory overload on the first several jumps you make. Not to mention you could panic if you have never experienced a sky dive. It is best to have some idea of what you are about to experience.
You could be the biggest baddest toughest strongest person on this Earth or the weakest nerdiest pansy and when it comes down to making the jump and landing safely, the tough guy is no more likely to even get out of the airplane than the pansy.
You just have no idea of how one person will react to the situation and a little panic could kill you.

Making
such decisive and bold statements when one does not know what they are talking about could potentially make them appear to others as a dumb ass.

Trust me; someone with 10,000 jumps has forgotten more about skydiving (many times over) than someone with a couple hundred has even learned yet. How could someone know how students (solo or tandem) react with zero experience working with them? A male may as well claim to know what it feels like to give birth (taking a shit does not count).

I don’t think that is a personal attack, I am just sharing, or maybe preaching but not meant to be an attack.
Everyone is entitled to give their opinion, you gave yours, I gave mine…
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Making
such decisive and bold statements when one does not know what they are talking about could potentially make them appear to others as a dumb ass.

Trust me; someone with 10,000 jumps has forgotten more about skydiving (many times over) than someone with a couple hundred has even learned yet. How could someone know how students (solo or tandem) react with zero experience working with them? A male may as well claim to know what it feels like to give birth (taking a shit does not count).

I don’t think that is a personal attack, I am just sharing, or maybe preaching but not meant to be an attack.
Everyone is entitled to give their opinion, you gave yours, I gave mine…

well said:D
Step into my (sub)terminal Playground

plus, you dont only have one tandemmaaster with you, but two very experienced skydivers that are left and right from yours, trained to get you down safely.. i would even claim that a panicking, i.e. grabbing, tandem-student could be more of a risk for him and the tandem-master.. but thats only from a bystander, as i dont even have 50 jumps.
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda