Radioshack

Question about new rig!

I am thinking about getting my first rig. I have about 75 jumps now (45 have been on a sabre2 190, All of my landings have been stand up ones, and I am very in tune with the canopy), And am thinking about downsizing to a sabre2 170... or another 9 cell 170 sq ft canopy. For a container I was thinking about getting a mirage g3 m3(used of course), with a 150sq ft reserve. I just want to see what the skydiving community has to say about this, because I really do value your comments/helpful tips! :-)

Thanks,

Matt

As I am not an instructor take my opinion with a grain of salt. First off what is your WL on the canopy? My experience tells me that it is hard to get a canopy completely and totally dialed in at 45 jumps. I have 130 jumps on my sabre 170 and I still don't feel that I have flown the canopy to the limits of its performance envelope. Have you done different approaches such as double front riser approaches or rear riser landings? I would suggest reading Bill Von Novak's downsizing checklist before making any decisions. As I said in another thread if you would feel comfortable doing an off-field downwind landing then maybe you are ready. Like I said before not an instructor so take all this with a grain of salt.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

You have quite honestly some of the best skydivers in the world there at Eloy. Sit down and talk to them about your thoughts and see what they say after seeing how you actually are flying and landing. Go to Square 2 and any of them should be able to help you out, if not talk to any of the coaches or instructors, they will help you in this decision better then anyone online can.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Hey thanks for the salt :-P

My wing load for the 170 would be about 1.05
(being that I weigh about 160-165)

If you weight 165 then your wing loading is around 1.1

You forgot to include the weight of your gear in your calculations
__

My mighty steed

I'd say a 150 for a reserve was a little small.

I've got over 300 jumps and my reserve is still bigger than my main. I like knowing that if I'm going to use my reserve that it is just a wee bit bigger, even if it's F111 and not the ZP I'm used to.

Just ask yourself if you are ready to fly a canopy that small.

More importantly... if your incapacitated somehow (unconscious, broken arm, etc), then do you really want to be under a crotch rocket? Remember... all too often in this sport when bad shit happens it will keep getting worse until you come to a stop. [:/]

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

Thanks everyone again for the comments, I have been thinking all day about it, and have decided to go with a M4 type container, which I should be able to pack my 190,170,150 in... as well as have a slightly bigger reserve!

I think that this is the best option that I have. Also I really don't have to worry about a bag lock, and I will have a easier time packing the 170 in the m4 then the m3... ;)

Thanks So so so much for everything again guy/girls!

Matt

I've heard the school of thought that a reserve should be sufficient size to allow a survivable landing if you were unconscious and not able to flare or control the canopy.

Having said that, it makes a case to have a reserve that's marginally larger than your main for a few reasons.

It really boils down to preference...and always remember, you're seeking advice on the Internet. So, I would ask your "mentors" at the DZ you're jumping at. Unless they're complete asshats, they won't steer you into anything stupid. ;)

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

My reserve is a used Firelite 176. And as far as getting a smaller container for jumping a 150 in 100 jumps... well the m4 can fit a 150 - 190.. that is why I was thinking about getting it. I am going to the DZ tomorrow... (I hope it doesn't rain to much tonight) and talk to square 2...

My reserve is a used Firelite 176.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What type of suspension lines does your Firelite have?
Dacron?
Spectra?
Remember that old-school Dacron suspension lines can vastly increase pack volume compared with modern Spectra/Microline suspension lines.