sonomatommy

pre-jump rituals

I'm a total geek, so I use this:

"I will not fear.
Fear is the mind killer.
I will face my fear, and I will let it pass through me.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing - only I will remain."

I do this during gear-up, to remind myself that nothing is happening that is dangerous yet.

I do it on the ride to altitude, to calm myself down. Seems to work well for me. Your mileage may vary.
T.I.N.S.

Yes, the Bene Gesserit rock :D

Apart from the local Secret Handshake-thingy I do not really have a ritual. I just think about what exercises I want to do on the jump, or simply enjoy the view.

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I check my gear 3 times.

I spin my 3-rings, check behind them and look at my loop and lanyard. Then my chest strap, then my handles, BOC and legstraps.

Then i do my practice cut-away 3 times.

The handshake is not for peace of mind for me, its more of a comradery gesture in my opinion.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

I totally have a ritual.

At 10k I sit up and put my goggles on and then my helmet. After I put my helmet on I always press on my goggles, and pull on the chip strap to make sure it's locked. (Which of course it is cuz I just put it on LOL But hey, it's my ritual. ;)) Then I touch my hackey and do my EP's at least twice.

Then I ask for a pin check and give my teammates a pin check. Then I give my teammates the 'ol skydiver handshake, and also give it to anyone else in my vicinity. Then right before exit I push on my googles one more time. (I wear contacts and am totally paranoid about too much air getting in there.)

I like the whole handshake thing. It's a camraderie thing and reminds us to have fun. It especially makes rookies feel great and helps relax them. (At least it did for me.)

"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

I had a friend who upon gearing up, and walking toward the plane, would look at the sky and let loose with this really loud, crazy, yell that would scare the crap out of you if you weren't ready for it. Then after the door openned he would cut loose again with this really loud YEEEHAAW! At that point we all knew that he really was nuts! All seemed to go well after that[:/].....Steve1

At Perris, our RW groups will usually all join hands for a little inspirational pep talk by the LO, with all the usual bromides about taking your time, if you don't want to go low don't fly there, don't hurt the LO, and for God's sake improvise. then we all take a deep breath and shout a ready-set-go count. After that, lots of slapping skin all around.

If we're opening the door, we like to look at each other and ask, "WHAT CAN POSSIBLY GO WRONG ?!?"

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Mine is pretty boring. On camera dives I snooze most of the way to altitude, then do gear check, skydiver handshake, internalize and focus.

On RW dives, I'm totally internalized, rehearsing the dive and focused all the way to altitude. Then gear check, skydiver handshake, and back to internalization & focus.

Not much for socializing or fun and games in the plane. Like I said - really boring.
Mike Ashley
D-18460
Canadian A-666

I stare out the window, think what the altitude is, check altimeter, think what the altitude is, check altimeter, think what the altitude is, ... you get the drift.

Edit: I also check my handles and straps before I board the plane, after I board the plane, and before I jump.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Usually the morning of and a couple of days before, I don't drink coffee...I've noticed in general coffee affects my nerves more at work and other things, sometimes makes me more alert but other times more jittery...I see other skydivers drink it so I assume after a while its not such a big deal anymore but for me still its too much.

I eat a tiny breakfast. I've only seen one person (on a tandem) puke, and i've heard other stories of tandem passengers puking and it hitting the tandem master in the goggles.

The feeling of freefall, even the initial exit, has never made me feel like puking but I don't eat much just in case. One time I bungee jumped and I could feel it come up my throat on the way down...Recently I laxed this a bit and ate a slice of pizza before a jump and didn't seem to do anything. I've noticed others eat some pretty awful junk food.

I pray and make myself right with my Maker before every jump. I deep breathe on the way to altitude, close my eyes and try to relax myself as much as possible, rehearse the dive flow.

Definitely fist and high five as many pals as possible in a gesture as a way of saying, "Wow! This is for real, we're gonna jump! Right on!" Camraderie and to try to keep attitude positve.

I think a many jumpers, with a lot of jumps, forget how truly scary your early jumps were. There may have been many rituals you did back then just to try to stay calm. Like checking your gear over and over. Or saying prayers. Or not eating breakfast because you might puke. Although I don't have all that many jumps I can still recall those pre-jump butterflies. Man those were scary times!

But the day will come when things are no longer very scary, just really really fun. And then the day when this is fun, but not scary at all.

I can now actually fall asleep on the climb to altitude. Maybe I shouldn't let that happen, but it has at times.

The summer before last, I had been working out in the hot sun all day, and then went to the airport to jump. I was really tired. We were on jump run with the door open, and I just about fell back asleep. I didn't think that could ever happen, but it did on that jump.

So, get a few more jumps under your belt, and you may find yourself doing far fewer pre-jump rituals....Steve1