demopolice

Do you agree with the way this demo was handled?

It doesn't matter what I think. You're the demo police, do your job and police the demo.

Really, though, this passive-aggressive shit is so lame. Be a man, post your name and state your position on the matter.

Fag.

Dont throw lame PA's at him. The fact that he may or may not be a fag has nothing to do with him being a pussy.
Remster

I regret my decision to use an anti-homosexual slur. Really.

There's nothing wrong with gay people, and I should have chosen to offend the OP in a different manner. I applaud your choice of offensive remark. Very PC, and exclusive to the recipient.

I apoligize to any gay poeple who may have read this (you know who you are) and I really am sorry.

It doesn't matter what I think. You're the demo police, do your job and police the demo.

Post your name and state your position on the matter.

David from Birmingham, AL

I have lurked the forums long enough and am sick of people who think it's cool to swoop in demos. The first dude was just inches away from screwing up royally, and the 3rd guy to land was right behind the 2nd guy. Get the right gear, use common sense, and keep Old Glory off the ground, not under your ass.

Basically, the first two skydivers hook-turned 180 degrees to land on a football field.

Did you watch the video, or were you too busy being the demo police? :ph34r:

The first guy does a 270 and the 2nd guy does a 450. :P

I have lurked the forums long enough and am sick of people who think it's cool to swoop in demos. The first dude was just inches away from screwing up royally, and the 3rd guy to land was right behind the 2nd guy. Get the right gear, use common sense, and keep Old Glory off the ground, not under your ass.

These guys aren't pros and maybe they shouldn't be doing demo swoops. The first guy was in the corner and yes he did need to dig to prevent himself from splatting. But hardly a inches away from screwing up royally scenario. The 2nd guy did need to dig himself using his rears so he too technically was also in the corner. The video does not show the 3rd guy until the end so it's hard to know was this poor separation or a planned tandem swoop? As far as your flag bearer is concerned, LMAO ... sure his canopy control was not even remotely close to being graceful. But we've seen worse treatement of your old glory.

Should these guys be swooping into a stadium? Probably not. Call the demo police. But the demo police need to learn what a 180 hook turn is versus a 270 and 450. :P

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

See here http://2020vertical.com/skydiving.htm

Click on the Buford High School Demo link and download the video. Watch it and add your thoughts here. Basically, the first two skydivers hook-turned 180 degrees to land on a football field. The last one butt-slid 20 yards with the US flag underneath.

Firstly, you're not the demo police.

Secondly, the first two landings were perfectly executed HPL's into the demo area. They looked like they nailed it too. The crowd seemed to love it, as they always do when they see good swoop landings. I have a PRO rating, and I don't see anything wrong with the way that they landed those high performance wings.

The last guy should have leaned forward and transferred his weight slowly onto his feet to keep the canopy flying. Having said that, he didn't and had to butt slide it out. If it a toss up between hurting yourself and landing on the flag, the flag's going to get it every time.

It is perfectly safe to swoop into a demo, and especially okay to swoop into a huge football field. I watched the whole video and thought to myself, yeah that looks like a demo. They did everything just right.
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

the first two landings were perfectly executed HPL's into the demo area. They looked like they nailed it too.

Im sure you have a PRO rating and a lot of jumps, but I do think that you being a guy who jumps a stiletto might not be so trained to see "nailed" recovery arc from a JVX

I think the first 2 guys were in the corner.. both.. The guy with the JVX a bit more than the guy with the VX.So I wouldnt say they nailed it..

Overall I would say the demo went nice...

Nothing happend.. Crowd loved it.. The first two guys just were in the corner, but they saw it coming and could plane it out just right...

I think one fact overlooked by, at least, our Scandanavian friend, is the matter of the big American flag being used as a super-slide/ass-protector.

Sure, things like that will happen sometimes unexpectedly, but to post them as accolades and pride is not encouraged - especially considering those who have loved ones overseas who could be blown up at any minute.
Roll Tide Roll

I'm not American but I lived there long enough understand and respect Old Glory's power. And I've got a shitload of respect for the guys overseas who're fighting and dying for her.
But I think that to relate the War on Terror to a guy dong a demo into a football field is totally irrelevant. Maybe his canopy choice wasn't the best for a flag jump, but at the end of the day he had to dig to save his ass, WTF does that have to do with anybody overseas?
I got nuthin

Depends. Do all the jumpers hold PRO ratings on the size canopies used on the demo?

I personally wouldn't have chosen the approaches they did, as the execution showed the lack of demo experience, but they did WALK off the field.

Most wuffos are impressed you lived, not that you had a bomber swoop.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I'm a demo jumper on a pro demo team. You know, matching canopies, jumpsuits, the whole works.

I would love to have the skills to do a big swoop like that. They clearly do, so as long as they've got the ratings and are in date, I don't see anything wrong with the demo - except for the butt-slide. Regardless, it looks like the crowd loved it - which is the whole point, isn't it?

I hope the buttslide dude was mocked without restraint.

I don't see any logic in complaining about swoopers at demo's, as long as they're qualified and following the crowd clearance rules.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I am the jumper with the flag. Yes , i did not do a stand up landing. I am not perfect. I have done hundreds of demos in the 25 years I have been jumping. I always jump with the flag. I ALMOST always do a stand up landing. This time I did not. I did however, quickly jump up and with the help of another jumper properly folded the flag with reverence. I respect my flag and try to not let it touch the ground, but this time it did. As I said, I am not perfect. If there is anyone out there that does not EVER fall down when landing, feel free to criticize my landing. Otherwise, please cut me some slack. Thank you.
Let's have some FUN !!!

There are different issues here, which could actually be three conversations.

1. Kudos to you, Eddie, for your candor in admitting being the butt-flag-slider:P and if the explanation is as simple as that, anyone should accept it.

2. I agree, if the crowd was safe, then swoop, swoop some more. Swoop through them damned goalposts if you want! More teenagers are still likely to die from freak accidents on that football field than by anyone landing on it.

3. Still, I personally don't think it is a good idea to be immortalized on film as such. Maybe I'm wrong. I've done a lot of things I wouldn't want the video to be put out there on the internet for all to see...not for free anyway:ph34r:

Would rather the already critical dropzone.com public see video of the demos that turned out better? Maybe Clark could post some of those for you? No offense, but on more than one occasion on the originating newsgroup there has been a cleverly cynical (non-personal-attacking) post deleted, so why not an unflattering video link?

It's like that saying I've heard..."Build a thousand bridges, and they might call you a bridgebuilder..."

Roll Tide Roll

...to relate the War on Terror to a guy dong a demo into a football field is totally irrelevant...

Who said anything about the War on Terror? As a matter of fact, I equate the "War on Terror" . . .

Political post deleted. Please post political opinions in SC.
Roll Tide Roll