martin-o

Whats up with Perris and skydivingmovies.com?

While I am not privy to the financial situation at Perris, I know that their overhead is many times that of a typical dropzone.

I'd suggest the opposite. Because of volume, their own maintenance facility, and a myriad other reasons, their cost per slot is probably lower than most single A/C DZ's.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

While I am not privy to the financial situation at Perris, I know that their overhead is many times that of a typical dropzone.

I'd suggest the opposite. Because of volume, their own maintenance facility, and a myriad other reasons, their cost per slot is probably lower than most single A/C DZ's.

cost per slot is not a constant. If the FAA shuts down the air for a week, they have no slots. Same for bad weather, if it ever rains in LA again. (seems just yesterday that the roads around Elsinore were being washed away by heavy rains) Or an effective boycott.

Perris definitely has substantially higher fixed costs from the number of planes, any debt financing on the tunnel, and since they own the airport (land) they must have real estate taxes as well. How long ago did they acquire the property?

There are those that believe that the ends justify the means. If I told them that some DZ was funded by terrorism or drug smuggling (not that THATS ever happened :)
But not everybody is like that.

I would totally spend more time there...but then again I am a raunch hand

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

unfortunately, i think another reason dzos would accept skyride is because of the jumpers. .. we are always saying how we need more jumpers, more jumpers. though skyride uses decietful tacticts to get them, once at the dropzone, the dropzone staff can show them their prices, and possibly get them on track to an A. afterall, that is what it is about, right? getting more jumpers, and keeping the ones we have!

Do we really want potential skydivers to walk away extremely bitter because they just got screwed in the %#$ and can't use their certificate anywhere.. how is that going to get them excited about the sport?
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

Do we really want potential skydivers to walk away extremely bitter because they just got screwed in the %#$ and can't use their certificate anywhere.. how is that going to get them excited about the sport?

That's a good point, but if it weren't for Skyride being a bunch of turds in the first place the prospective student wouldn't be put in that situation.
I got nuthin

we are always saying how we need more jumpers, more jumpers. though skyride uses decietful tacticts to get them, once at the dropzone, the dropzone staff can show them their prices, and possibly get them on track to an A. afterall, that is what it is about, right?

We are back to "Does the end justify the means?".

Also if Skyride didn’t have over 900 Websites for DZs that do not exist, When the Customer went looking for somewhere to make their first Jump they would have FOUND a real Dropzone.

They are NOT bringing people to the sport that would not have found a DZ anyway.

But they are costing us Jumpers because of their deceitful tactics. Almost all the Skyride Victims were LOOKING for a dropzone, They found a Skyride site and called them (Usually thinking they were calling a Local Dropzone). If Skyride didn’t have all those sites for Fake Dropzones, They would have found the real dropzones instead.

Exactly, they aren't doing any direct marketing for the sport. They are just stealing possible customers and often giving them a terrible first experince with our industry. B|

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

If there were no customers lined up for Skyride to screw then they wouldn't be doing what they do would they? What if there were 0 dropzones who accepted Skyride? Unfortunately every dropzone who does accept their coupons contributes to them continuing to do what they do.

-Michael

If there were no customers lined up for Skyride to screw then they wouldn't be doing what they do would they? What if there were 0 dropzones who accepted Skyride? Unfortunately every dropzone who does accept their coupons contributes to them continuing to do what they do.

-Michael

Exactly, and that brings us back to the topic of this thread. If big dropzones were to step up the the plate and say "Since I have the numbers, I am making a stance against Skyride by not accepting their certificates. As one of the big-shots, I (should) have the responsibility of standing up for the sport as a whole."

-Michael

Exactly, and that brings us back to the topic of this thread. If big dropzones were to step up the the plate and say "Since I have the numbers, I am making a stance against Skyride by not accepting their certificates. As one of the big-shots, I (should) have the responsibility of standing up for the sport as a whole."

I wonder how many tandems that the large DZs do with skyride's vouchers...anyone have that info?

... but I'd guess it's a tad more than the $165 they advertise.

Dave

$165 is their summer price. The websites should be updated to say $175, and then with the "port and dock fees" (I guess you take a boat to altitude at Skyride dzs:S), its about $215 (give or take a dollar or two). Or at least that's what I was told when I called. So the prices they quote on their website is just for the jump and doesn't include taxes, fees, insurance, anal bandaids, etc.[:/]

The nice thing about a (reputable) reservation company would be that the DZ only pays a fee (in lost profit) when the student actually jumps. If they didn't have to do any other advertising to bring in tandem business, it might be a good deal.

But if a DZ is willing to give up $40 per tandem to retrieve back all the business that was stolen away from them, imagine how much more effectively they could spend that money through advertising. How many paid ads could you serve up on google if you were willing to shell out $40 in advertising for every person that booked a jump?

Dave

I suggest skydivers stick to the community concerns and leave the business concerns to those who have invested millions in their facilities.

What about those of us little guys who invest time and effort into a website to have it blatantly stolen by this company?

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

That's a good point, ....

No, it's a terrible point. If you accept the certificates you're being an enabler. Worse than that, in fact - you become an active participant. And you become a whore.

This really is a no-brainer.

[reply

This really is a no-brainer.

more of a no win situation . i agree that all dropzones should not accept them, and that would, help? probably not, because they still have the websites and advertise all over, so they will still sell sell sell. I'm being devils advocate a little bit here.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

Still havent had time to go through the older thread about skyride (so forgive me if this was already covered in the old thread), but isnt there anykind of public authority in the states whos duty is to protect the consumer ?

Just inform the proper authority about their business and they will take it from there.. ?