GentleTiger

Boring Skydive???!!!

Yesterday someone said, "don't you get bored jumping alone now?".

No Way. First of all, it's nice not having a "babysitter", secondly, one of the many reasons why I love this sport, is that there is always something I can do just a little bit better.

For instance, today, I did some 360s and some long practice touches. I did the PTs just to practice being stable at pull time...I tend to bring in my legs and drop my shoulder. I want to practice it until my first response at pull time is remaining stable. Secondly, I want to smooth out my 360s and do them a little faster. And those are just 2 maneuvers...how can anyone possibly get bored skydiving by themselves???

And then there's landing. Here in Colorado conditions are constantly changing...wind shifts, humidity, turbulence, warm and cold columns of air, the works. So each landing is a little different from the last, and there are always things to do to improve those.

Boring skydives my butt! ;)

BBS,
Tiger

It won't be long.......;)

You can learn a whole lot jumping with others. I must say though, I still enjoy the occasional solo. It puts me more in tune with the act of skydiving, rather than flying my body, if that makes any sense. There is a lot to experience by yourself, and quite a bit of time to think about it when relaxed and alone.
Sometimes I just like to fall, and nothing else. Just watching the planet grow to immense proportions, it's amazing how thrilling that alone can be.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

as towerat said, you will get bored of it, but that's not saying it is not good for you to do some solos every now and then.
good to hear you are so into perfecting your body position at pull time.
I know it is good to get away from being with an instuctor all the time but wait until you jump with your mate and just chase each other around the sky.
The next thing you will get off on is practising fall rates with a buddy.
I will do a solo when i am hung over, or feeling down as the rush of air is all i concentrate on then and it puts life back into me.
just a hint though, dont let other jumpers that you learnt with get too far ahead of you with rel work while you are doing solo's or you might find it hard to learn rel work unless you do coach jumps.
jumping with others is where i get the adrenaline from, nothing is better than when you pull of a great dive with your mates. That is where the adrenaline kicks in.
Good to hear you are so keen on practising being safe though.:)

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

>how can anyone possibly get bored skydiving by themselves???

You can get bored with anything. People in firetowers get bored with the magnificent view after a few weeks. Pilots get bored flying. Gynecologists get bored with . . . you know. The cool part about skydiving is that if you do get bored doing solos, you can do RW, freeflying, wingsuit jumps, CRW etc.

Good job, Tiger!B| I'm so glad to hear that you're back in the air again and doing well. Sounds as though you know what you need to work on and are doing just that! You have so many awesome "ah ha" moments ahead and I can't wait to hear about them;). Your persistency and determination WILL PAY OFF. You go, girl!

...and no, nothing about skydiving is boring, especially for us ADHD types, like myself. No two jumps are the same.:P

Keep up the good work! Have fun!

Yesterday someone said, "don't you get bored jumping alone now?".

No Way. .......

Boring skydives my butt!

High fives bud !!

Personally, I'd rather do a solo. I enjoy the skydive alot more than doing stuff on a skydive. But then, I'm a little weird, even for a skydiver.
-Jeff.
http://www.iplummet.com

Common sense and common courtesy are NOT common.

I did three solos today... with one from 15k, there were only three of us left on the Otter since everyone was CReW or got out at 6.5. For a few seconds I had the plane to myself after the freestyle team left and it was eerily quiet as I was backflying away from the plane watching it bank off and head for home... boring my ass, I call it serene.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

I don't have a lot of fun jumping alone.

Every now and then I think its cool to just go up and float and there are always hop'n'pops which for the most part are solo things but as a general rule of thumb I like jumping with others. I find that I learn a lot more that way and it just is more exhilerating to crank out a cool dive. Even just fun fuck around dives are more fun with someone else.

Dunno, just me.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Eh, I think solos are boring. I can't tell how relative to something I'm being because well, there's nothing to be relative to; plus I like learning new things, and I don't feel I can do that if I don't have people with me to see how I fly and help me improve. :)

Did two solo's Sunday.

Both tracking dives. Got totally into flying, rolling shoulders in, arms back, butt high, catchin major air and just completely getting off on the dives...

I'm with you, I so get off on every aspect of the dive, from the preparation to getting in the plane, takeoff, getting out of the plane, bodyflight, deployment, canopy flight, landing....

Truly the coolest shit I've ever seen.

jjf
It's a gas, gas, gas...

I think the key to not becoming bored with skydiving is continue challenging yourself and never stop learning. Right now, solos are an exciting time, experimenting with what you can do with total freedom. Keep it up! I like your attitude.

Everyone has their 'stagnant' periods. Find something that makes you tick and go for it.

Boring skydives my butt!

Anything gets boring if you do it enough....ANYTHING

Sex?!

Variety is usually a good thing. I did 2 solos and was getting ready to load up for a third when a local (I'm visiting LA this week) invited me into a two way. By the time we took off we had a 3rd party. By 2000ft it became a hybrid 3 way with a flyflier camera guy and a couple other lurkers in the air space. Definitely a fun one. I must be more comfortable now - I wasn't too phased by the new exit planned in the last bit of the climb.

But I still have a few more tricks to work on by myself. My front loops only go halfway onto my back. Exits are better, but I'm not reliably stable on the hill.

Sex?!

Yes...ANYTHING.

Take SCUBA diving. If you are a commercial diver you don't tend to go diving for fun.

When I started SCUBA diving, I went almost everyday...Now 6 years later I don't go diving but once every year it seems.

Same thing happens skydiving.

You are new, everything is cool....Enjoy that.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Re: Kerry the war criminal

What were President Bush's best 3 years?

Fifth Grade.

VOTE KERRY, get this "nucular" illiterate out of office!

What were President Bush's best 3 years?

A leader leading the country.

VOTE KERRY, get this "nucular" illiterate out of office!

Vote Kerry...Lets have a war crimes President!!!!
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Republicans...hmph

Republican or Democrate has NOTHING to do with this.

I was were you are once...I NEVER thought a person could quit.

3300 jumps, 11 years, and more bodies than I care to count later.....Things change.

You can't see it...I could not either then.

Seperate politics for skydiving...When you quit looking at EVERTHING and trying to relate it to skydiving...THEN you really are a skydiver.

It will happen.

As I wrote in a private message to you, I know skydivers who've been in longer then you, with 10,000+ jumps, and they are far from bored.

As for Dems vs. Reps, perspective has its tendons in everything we do, from taking a pee to major life decisions. It's when you can see the bigger picture that you become wise, and therefore, a better skydiver. Someone once told me that skydiving is a not just a sport, but a lifestyle, so how can your perspective on things NOT infiltrate your jumping attitude??

Do you think your boredom with the sport makes you a better jumper?

Blues and Peace
Tiger

As I wrote in a private message to you, I know skydivers who've been in longer then you, with 10,000+ jumps, and they are far from bored.

And I know jumpers that quit after 40 jumps.

As for Dems vs. Reps, perspective has its tendons in everything we do, from taking a pee to major life decisions. It's when you can see the bigger picture that you become wise, and therefore, a better skydiver. Someone once told me that skydiving is a not just a sport, but a lifestyle, so how can your perspective on things NOT infiltrate your jumping attitude??

when you try to color everthing to fit into a skydivers world....You are trying to hard.

Do you think your boredom with the sport makes you a better jumper?

Nope....But who said I was bored? I said skydives can be boring. I would not make a solo jump if you paid for it. I do however spend plenty to do 4way.

I jump at a cessna dropzone that is very much student oriented. There are many times when I am the only person on the DZ who is not either a student, instructor, tandem master/istress, or vidiot. If I waited around to find a jump partner, there are times were I would get 1 or 2 jumps a day. I get on every load that I can, and if there is someone else on it, all the better. I'll even follow tandems out (with their knowledge and permission)if they don't have video, and fly the video slot for fun. If I end up going alone, there is always something to perfect (right now -sit manouver series in 16s for my 'C' cop) Then of course trying to dial in that swoop!!
If you're bored, you're just not challenging yourself - set goals and get up there!

Swooping is fun. Some practice under canopy above ground level is a necessary pre-requisite when increasing turn angles, switching to rear riser landings, or changing canopies. Ground rush below 1000 feet and freefall beside cliffs are fun. Jumps out of odd aircraft (B17 bomb bay exit, intverted out of a Pitts, etc) are neat. Falling through your shadow on a cloud while naked is great.

I find other solos boring, not worth the plane ride, and definately not worth paying for a jump ticket.

Better than watching network television, although I don't do that either.

Anything gets boring if you do it enough....ANYTHING

Sex?!

With yourself it's just about the mechanical motions and getting release. You're following a script.

With a partner you can experience interaction, an energy exchange, and a spiritual connection. You get to improvise with what's happening.

Skydiving works the same.